$2,012.87 down the tubes ... here's a story about my luck.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All good points.

THanks for the info. I'll post the email I send here in a few.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I used my post as part of the email.....I hate to type. That explains my "short posts" around here.

Anyway, can I get ya'lls thoughts?

Originally Posted by The Email
Rodney,

I would love to speak to you about an issue I've had with your store and the Home Depot in general.

The wife and I bought a fridge there. It was a nice one too. The kind with the freezer drawer on the bottom and the double doors on top. Ice maker, water dispenser, and best of all, it was chrome. B-E-A-U-tiful fridge.

Here's the story:

It all starts on, April 23, 2007 at about 5:45. I got off work to go look at what The Home Depot has to offer as far as fridges. I arrive at the store a little after 4 in the afternoon. I browse through all the ones they have. I have my eye set on one right off the bat, at the price I want too. I look around for a few more minutes, just to make sure I don't miss anything. Nope, that's the one I want.

I looked for an associate to help me, but no one was around, so I wandered over to the cabinet section and saw a guy there reading a news paper. I asked for some help, and he called someone over for me. I waited for about another 10 minutes.

Finally, the guy shows up and asks how he can help me. He seems a little put out, right off the bat. I told him I was interested in the fridge, and he immediately said they don't have that one in stock. Well, I asked how long it would take to get one and have it delivered.....we started the sale. This is what I learned:

1. They can't deliver it to me, because I live too far away (about 40 miles). What? I should have put 2 and 2 together at that point.

~and~

2. It will take about 3-4 days to deliver. It's Monday, so the latest would be Friday. I can pick it up after work.

So, we are all good till Friday. Justin told me they'll call me when it's ready.

Friday afternoon, April 27th. I call Home Depot to check to see if has arrived. After speaking to about 4 different people who didn't know and finally being hung up on, I called back to find out, it has not arrived, but they were expecting a delivery that night. Cool, the wife can go with me Saturday morning to pick it up.

Saturday morning, April 28th. Wife calls (put on hold several times, talked to several people) to see if we can pick it up, but it still has not arrived. She was told that another truck was scheduled to deliver that afternoon, and someone would call if it arrives. *sigh* Ok, what's one more day, right. The one we have now works fine, it's just a tad bit small. I can dig it, chit happens.

So we waited that weekend...no phone call.

Monday, not there.

Tuesday, They don't even know where it is. What?

Wednesday ... I didn't even attempt to call.

Thursday ... I didn't even attempt to call.

Friday ... still not onsite.

Saturday, May 5th....the wife calls at about 9 o'clock in the morning, and it's in. WOO-HOO ! ! ! The wife is excited, so naturally I am too. After all, I'm buying it for her.

We go to pick it up. I realize now, that getting help in the Home Depot is like pulling teeth. All we wanted to do was pick up our fridge and get home. I wanted to BBQ.

An hour and a half after being sent all over the store to see "this" person, and see "that" person, we finally found someone that would help. Nice young lady at the Special services counter....it seemed she was there only one that actually working. I saw employee's behind the counter talking with each other, but not helping any customers that were waiting in line.......ANYWAY - After about 8 phone calls, we were told someone is bringing it out and load into my truck. FINALLY

I pull the truck up to the front and got my straps ready (That I bought from the Home Depot that day). We waited for about another 15 minutes, and I sent the wife in to see what was up. She comes back out and tells me that it's sitting at the special services counter, and they are looking for someone to bring it out. After about another 10 minutes, I said screw it, I'll do it myself. I go in to get it, and two kids are bringing it out.

HA what a joke. These two guys couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. One of the guys looked like he was 100 pounds, soaking wet with rocks in his pockets, and they sent HIM to load a FRIDGE?

Well, they weren't much help, other then helping me keep from letting it fall over. I was in the bed of the truck pulling it up, and they were lifting it up (if that's what you want to call it). We (I) finally got it in the truck and I strapped it down tight. Not your guys, I understand they DO NOT help customers strap anything down. Basically, after a customer buys a product from your store, the Home Depot could care less about the customer at that point...I got that, No problem.
....to be continued....

Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM
....continued....

Originally Posted by The Email
Finally, the wife has the fridge she has wanted for a long time. We're on our way home to hook it up.

It's about 40 miles from Tyler to Athens, give or take an inch. We get about a mile and a half from the house and this:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...842-191155.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...842-191156.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...842-191157.jpg

Thank GOD no one was behind me. A fridge moving at 55 MPH is pretty dangerous.

What do ya think? Do you think I can get a refund because the ice machine doesn't work? LOL

I know your store and the Home Depot is not at fault due to a bad bump in the road and the strap breaking, that's cool. But, I was wondering about getting something as far as a credit (I don't need the extended warranty, etc). I have been a faithful customer to the Home Depot for over 10 years. There is a Lowes about 15 minutes from my house, but I choose to drive 45-60 minutes to Tyler to shop at the Home Depot. I have tried several times to call customer service to get someone to help me, but caddy comments like:

"We are not at fault for the accident, enjoy your new fridge."

"We can't be responsible for irresponsible people."

"The store manager is the only one that actually help you right now. What do you want me to do about it over the phone".

isn't really the kind of help I was wanting to get.

Anyway, after this all took place, I had no idea that the Home Depot's customer service was going down hill. I have read many articles on the internet with cases like this. I'm just trying to get some answers, some help, ANYTHING that will benefit ME, the customer, the one that is supposed to be an important asset to a HUGE business like the Home Depot. Home Depot's CEO, Frank Blake, posted a message on MSN Money's message forum about the number of complaints about Home Depot.......I have the link.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...etYouDown.aspx

Interesting.

Now, I'm not writing you this email to try and "get something for nothing". At this point, I have gained absolutely NOTHING from the Home Depot, but the Home Depot is getting plenty from me. I have to pay for a product that I don't have. Ok, FINE . . . if that's the way you do business, cool. I have already made other arrangements.

Thank you for your time,

jamzwayne (but of course I used our REAL names)

Thoughts?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No way in hell he is going to read all that.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Where does one start?

My advice, forget your online posts and begin the email from scratch in a more professional manner. No offense, but that "email" makes you sound like an idiot.

Not trying to put you down or anything as I know you are anything but an idiot; however no serious email should include "LOL" in it's context. At least not one you expect to be taken seriously.

Today's Dilbert is perfect:

Last edited by KSUWildcat; 05-08-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by KSUWildcat
... SNIP ...

My advice, forget your online posts and begin the email from scratch in a more professional manner. No offense, but that "email" makes you sound like an idiot.

... snip ...

Thank you for your honesty.

I'll try harder next ime.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
I think it is important to go about how you were dissatisfied with the service, before more then after. They said the product would be there, and you had to keep calling blah blah, not to mention once you did drive 40 minutes to the store there wasnt anyone to be found etc. B.c no matter the outcome of the fridge, even if had made it home safetly, that lack of service was unacceptable, and should be addressed

Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by jamzwayne

and other stuff . . .
Jamz . . .you know I have nothing but love, but this time it's gonna be tough love.

If you send that . . . what is essentially is a bbs forum entry in web-speak, you'll get no satisfaction at all.

Seriously, if I was some exec and got that as a letter . . . I'd stop reading only seconds after starting.

Make this a totally professional letter written in the "official" style.

And as I said earlier . . . DO SEND THIS VIA EMAIL.

Send a real letter(s), printed on real paper, sent via snail mail. Trust me on this.

K-

Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Kobster speaks the truth.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Jamz please do not use that post for the email. It needs A LOT of work but the basics are this....

1. Don't talk about a fridge flying down the highway at 55
2. Don't insult the carry out guys as that doesn't help. If it requires comment, then say they were not of stature to help life a fridge.
3. Do not just IM or forum lingo (i.e. "HA, LOL")
4. Shorten it up
5. Don't include links to pictures
6. Remove the joke about the ice maker (irrelevant to your email to him)
7. Anyway, after this all took place, I had no idea that the Home Depot's customer service was going down hill. I have read many articles on the internet with cases like this. I'm just trying to get some answers, some help, ANYTHING that will benefit ME, the customer, the one that is supposed to be an important asset to a HUGE business like the Home Depot. Home Depot's CEO, Frank Blake, posted a message on MSN Money's message forum about the number of complaints about Home Depot.......I have the link.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...etYouDown.aspx

Interesting.

Now, I'm not writing you this email to try and "get something for nothing". At this point, I have gained absolutely NOTHING from the Home Depot, but the Home Depot is getting plenty from me. I have to pay for a product that I don't have. Ok, FINE . . . if that's the way you do business, cool. I have already made other arrangements.

All that needs to go. He's not going to care about the CEO or the level of complaints. They're a crappy store so he probably hears 15 complaints a day. You just happened to make it easier with an email for your complaint to be ignored/deleted.

8. Go back and follow kobi's advice. He's on the right track. If that doesn't work then send your email which is a symbolic middle finger.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Jamz, I agree with everyone else. And please don't call your wife "the wife".

Old 05-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
If that doesn't work then send your email which is a symbolic middle finger.
Just cut 'n paste baby!!

///BAH! Stupit forms won't show it right... nevermind.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by lovetrucks
Jamz, I agree with everyone else. And please don't call your wife "the wife".
Just like LT, call her "the man"

Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Jamz, you will get much better results if you send a letter you take the time to make professional and sign yourself.

Follow kobi's advice, Ive been in this kind of situation and a well thought out personal letter gets results when sent to the right people. The lackys at the store and even the managers there could care less about customers, but when the district heads become aware of these kinds of things most of the time action is taken on them.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by kobiashi
Jamz . . .you know I have nothing but love, but this time it's gonna be tough love.

If you send that . . . what is essentially is a bbs forum entry in web-speak, you'll get no satisfaction at all.

Seriously, if I was some exec and got that as a letter . . . I'd stop reading only seconds after starting.

Make this a totally professional letter written in the "official" style.

And as I said earlier . . . DO SEND THIS VIA EMAIL.

Send a real letter(s), printed on real paper, sent via snail mail. Trust me on this.

K-
w3rd.

Thanks Kobi...I am going to start over and focus on pizz poor service.

...also, I'm going to send via USPS.

Quick Reply: $2,012.87 down the tubes ... here's a story about my luck.