BigHersh Review: 2007 Ford Edge SEL (Plus)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bighersh
While I'm sure they're very similiar in most ways, perhaps they did some things a little different in the Lincoln version, to make it more, Lincolny???

The steering in mine feels tight, very responsive.

I haven't gunned it yet, but it's pretty quick. It won't outrun any sports cars, but I'd guesstimate 0-60 in the high 7's, low 8's. Not bad for a v-6 SUV.

I just think about what Ford could do with this thing, with a little SVT massage to say 330 HP, with the AWD.
Other than body and interior work, they are mechanically identical. I flogged both and even got the dealer to admit Lincoln did NOTHING with the drivetrain and underpinnings. I was very disappointed that the Edge had the same horrific over boosted steering. I had thought that the MKX got old-person Lincolnized as well.

I'm getting used to it, but I feel it needs to carry more weight and a better connection to the road. I've been spoiled by 3-series steering feel. Hell, even my old 'Fiddy had steering feel closer to a 3er.

I'll have to hookup my performance meter and make some runs with it. I'm guessing mid-8s to 60. Not bad, not good. It's just a slug off the line.

If SVT took the MKX center console, Edge otherwise and went at least 350HP, lowered a bit, and sporty STEERING they'd have a hit. I'd be all over that like the stench of alcohol on Lindsay Lohan.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Satstalker
Great post guys. I work for Ford in the Oakville plant as a Millwright, where the Edge and the Lincoln are made. They are built really solid. The weld tear down guys that check the welds say it is a major work out for them to tear this unit apart. They come off the line with very few if any end of line defects. It is a sweet unit to drive.
I'm glad you like it! Now lets hope Ford does not get greedy and start cheaping out on it to make a bigger profit! Like they did with the Windstar/Freestar.
Thank God they got rid of that clown that wanted all cars in the Ford chain to start with a "F". What a TOOL!
I hope Ford doesn't flood the rental car agencies with them, and kill the resale value for the consumer... There's no reason this shouldn't retain it's value as well as a Nissan, Toyota, or Honda.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Bighersh
I hope Ford doesn't flood the rental car agencies with them, and kill the resale value for the consumer... There's no reason this shouldn't retain it's value as well as a Nissan, Toyota, or Honda.
I agree!

Old 09-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Hersh,

I am considering getting an Edge for the wife in the future.

One quick question.... how is it for shoulder and headroom for those of use that are 6'3" and should be the poster child for the 'fat bastards' thread.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by tiny1
Hersh,

I am considering getting an Edge for the wife in the future.

One quick question.... how is it for shoulder and headroom for those of use that are 6'3" and should be the poster child for the 'fat bastards' thread.
I'm a pinch over 6'10" and fit just fine in my MKX. Just don't get the big **** moonroof.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 PM
D-

Thanks for the info. I thought that you are well over 6" but I didn't realize that it was 10" over

Old 09-06-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm 6'2" and have head room left in mine.

Lg room is good, and shorty's have room behind me.

I'm pretty wide too, and have no issues. Not as spacious as my F-150, but I fit in it quite well.

Quick Reply: BigHersh Review: 2007 Ford Edge SEL (Plus)