BigHersh Review: 2007 Ford Edge SEL (Plus)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigHersh Review: 2007 Ford Edge SEL (Plus)

Introduction:

OK, as you guys know, I traded my 2006 Acura MDX, and picked up a 2007 Ford Edge SEL (Plus). Once again, I did not get the FULLY loaded model, but- the only items we are missing are:
  • Panoramic roof.
  • Navigation
  • AWD*

I intentionally skipped on the roof and AWD, because my MDX was AWD, and they insured me a 4 x 4 rate, which is just like having a freaking sports car, costing almost as much as the Fusion and F-150 combined (to insure) and more than the F-150 and Fusion combined (monthly payment). As for the roof, I live in Texas. I'm not looking for ways to let more heat in.

As promised, here is my review of the 2007 Ford Edge.

Snapshot / Overall impression:
The 2007 Edge is a 4-door, 5-passenger sport-utility, available in 6 trims, ranging from the SE FWD to the SEL Plus AWD. Upon introduction, the SE FWD is equipped with a standard 3.5-liter, V6, 265-horsepower engine that achieves 18-mpg in the city and 25-mpg on the highway.

The SEL Plus AWD is equipped with a standard 3.5-liter, V6, 265-horsepower engine that achieves 17-mpg in the city and 24-mpg on the highway. [My sticker says 18 city, 25 highway. I was getting 26 on the highway.] The 6-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is standard on both trims. The 2007 Edge is all-new for 2007. (Autobytel, 09-2007)
Review:

At 75.8" wide, and 185" long, the Ford Edge is only 1.2" narrower and 6" shorter in length than my 2006 Acura MDX. On the inside, that 1.2 inches is not missed; not in the front seat anyway. With the baby seat in the second row, I can tell some width is missing from the MDX. At 77 inches wide, the 2006 MDX was only one inch narrower than the Ford Expedition.

Clearly, Ford spent a great deal of time on the interior of this car. Upon initial entry, everything in the unit looks and feels first class. The leather on the seats is well crafted- the best I've seen in any Ford vehicle, including the Navigator. They seem well-suited to the daily tasks of entry and exit. This is one thing I can't say about my 2006 MDX. I was surprised at how the leather began showing signs of its age after only 18 months.

Ford has had a string of hits lately, and the Edge is no exception. I fully expect this SUV to bump Ford's SUV sales back into the number one spot, eventually outselling the Explorer (if it isn't already), and surpassing Chevy's trailblazer.

Interior and Exterior Fit & Finish:

After sitting in it for a while, one begins to realize the extensive use of plastics in the vehicle. The dash, door molds, and pretty much everything surrounding the driver is plastic- except the material on the top of the armrest/storage bin (which is deep, integrated into the floor shifter, and well done by the way). Its extensive use of plastic doesn't give the same feel of luxury as one would expect of a vehicle in this price range ($30K plus), nevertheless, it does "look" good. The gaps are not evenly spaced all around. This would only be noticeable to someone looking for problems, the average consumer would not notice these shortcomings, however- no car is perfect.

The instrument gauges, while standard (speed, tach, oil, temp, etc..) are bevel ringed, and classy. This is something one would expect on an Infiniti. The 6-speed automatic transmission gives almost undetectable up shifts, and the 265 HP V6 engine provides ample "giddy-up" when the accelerator is pressed. I haven't done any dead stop, WOT runs with it, but it feels every bit as quick (if not quicker) than my MDX was.

The second row (Source of the complaints of my 2006 MDX), is actually roomier than in my MDX. I heard not a single complaint (on space) for the entire 400+ mile trip (675 miles total). That may have had something to do with the multimedia DVD player.

On the second row, the material on the seats looks good there too. Ford usually puts vinyl on the subsequent rows, but in this vehicle, both rows are leather trimmed. If vinyl was used, I can't tell where. The seats look and feel very good.

Last edited by Bighersh; 09-04-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Driving Characteristics:

As for the ride-, most times I can't wait to get off the road. In this vehicle, I wanted to go further. It is a very comfortable vehicle, and at 80 MPH is it smoother than most cars I've driven or ridden in. I had a hard time staying under 80, with its unobstructed view of the road, and cochpit feel of the driving position, you don't realize you're going that fast.

The vehicle tracks and handles well. U-turns on city streets are no problem, and with prowess equal to, if not superior to my 2006 MDX, the Edge feels like a lifted sports car. With its smooth transition, on center feel, 18" wheels & tires, dual exhaust, and engine/exhaust note when getting on it- this is a fun vehicle to drive. Ford did a good job of smoothing the ride, and isolating road noise.

The sound system. Prior to getting the Edge, I thought the Fusion had the best factory stereo I'd ever heard. Move over Fusion, this 9 speaker, subwoofered, Audiophile stereo in the 2007 Edge has replaced you (in my opinion) as the best sounding factory stereo I've ever heard. it offers crisp highs, clear mids, and heavy bass; in a word- perfect. I'm sure the 17 and 18 speaker systems in the Infiniti and Lexus vehicles are better, but- I haven't heard them. Without a doubt, this system sounds way better than the 7-speaker Bose system that came with my 2006 MDX. it also came with a 6-month complimentary subscription to Sirius radio, so- I won't miss my XM.

Head-turner:
Everywhere we stopped- I got a lot of looks and compliments on this vehicle, from admiration, to shock- "Ooh, that's pretty!", "Wish I had one.", "Beautiful color.", "How does it ride?", "That's a Ford?". Just for driving mine to the family reunion, my wife's cousin plans to go buy one today, when he gets back to Sacramento, CA.

Closing:

While some won't consider this a true SUV, because it's not a body-on-frame SUV, in the same vein as the Explorer, Pathfinder, and 4-Runner, this is a great SUV. If you need to haul five people or less, this would be a perfect vehicle. You get V-8 power, with V-6 fuel economy, a vehicle well-balanced between sport and touring. Very generous truck space. In-floor cargo management, one touch folding 2nd row seats (optional), all for a starting price of $25,000.

Is the new 2007 Ford Edge superior to the 2006 or 2007 Acura MDX. In a word, "No". But, if you want a vehicle that does everything right, hardly anything wrong, with all the bells, whistles, style, and class of an Acura MDX or Lexus RX350, at a price that’s $10,000 - $15,000 less. You'll be hard-pressed to find a vehicle that does so much, so well- at this price.

Bravo Ford. I love your new Edge. As a watcher, and now- as an owner.

Known Competition:

Nissan Murano
Hyundai Santa Fe
BMW X3
Lexus RX350
Mazda CX-7

----------------

Other close competitors:

Acura MDX
Hyundai Veracruz
Honda Pilot*
Mazda CX-9

The Honda Pilot is in the Edge's class, with regard to price- but it is a 7-8 passenger SUV, compare to 5-pasengers for the Edge.

Last edited by Bighersh; 09-04-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Nice review Hersh but the big question, could you pick up women in this car?

I know a big handsome man like yourself doesn't need the wheels but does the car turn their heads.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by EnglishAdam
Nice review Hersh but the big question, could you pick up women in this car?

I know a big handsome man like yourself doesn't need the wheels but does the car turn their heads.

Well, it turned the ladies head at my wife's family reunion. But, those were the wrong heads to be turning... If I want to keep living, anyway! LOL

We still have the truck! LOL

Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Suspended
Hersh ,nice review! You could teach Car & Driver a thing or 2 about how to write a test report. Good to see your enjoying the new ride. If your like me you will find Siruis has a great variety or channels and wont miss XM at all. My boss is a Chevy guy and everytime he gets in my truck he is always playing with the radio wishing he has Siruis

Last edited by scott1981; 09-04-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Hershy
...the Edge feels like a lifted sports car.
You had me up to this. Perhaps if the steering wasn't so freakin' overboosted. The steering kills any real fun you could have in this car.

As for dead stop to WOT runs... you'll find its sluggish to get the pig moving, but once the tach needle sweeps past the 3K mark it will begin to pull hard... typical V6 behavior.

One last note, I had to get AWD since I found the FWD version** had WAY to much torque steer under power. It was horrible. None is found in the AWD.

** My comparison based on FWD and AWD MKX models.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
Hersh ,nice review! You could teach Car & Driver a thing or 2 about how to write a test report. Good to see your enjoying the new ride. If your like me you will find Siruis has a great variety or channels and wont miss XM at all. My boss is a Chevy guy and everytime he gets in my truck he is always playing with the radio wishing he has Siruis
Thanks Scott.

Once I find the comedy channel, I'll be set. That's what I mostly listened to in my MDX. On XM, it was Channel 150. So far, I haven't found it (or anything similar) on Sirius. But, having only had the vehicle 5 days, with three of those spent driving, I haven't really had a chance to play with it yet.

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by Bighersh

a vehicle in this price range ($30K plus)

You can get one here for only €58,950 that equals $80,172

Edit: . -----> ,

Last edited by F150Europe; 09-04-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by F150Europe

You can get one here for only €58.950, that equals $80.172

Old 09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Bighersh
Thanks Scott.

Once I find the comedy channel, I'll be set. That's what I mostly listened to in my MDX. On XM, it was Channel 150. So far, I haven't found it (or anything similar) on Sirius. But, having only had the vehicle 5 days, with three of those spent driving, I haven't really had a chance to play with it yet.
Blue collar 103 - Jeff foxworthy, Larry The Cable guy & Ron White. All pretty funny and for the most part kid friendly

Raw Dog 104 - David Chappel, Dave Atell, Generally lots of swearing but very very funny stuff

Laugh Break 105 - A lil boring for the adults, but all clesan humor the whole family can listen to.

Enjoy the tunes and the new ride

Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Hersh, I need a favor of ya, can you maybe buy a Nissan Murano and do a test on it too?

That was a great writeup and you may have just sold another Edge for Ford, where do I send the commission check

Old 09-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Nice review. I feel the same way about our Edge..

Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by dzervit
You had me up to this. Perhaps if the steering wasn't so freakin' overboosted. The steering kills any real fun you could have in this car.

As for dead stop to WOT runs... you'll find its sluggish to get the pig moving, but once the tach needle sweeps past the 3K mark it will begin to pull hard... typical V6 behavior.

One last note, I had to get AWD since I found the FWD version** had WAY to much torque steer under power. It was horrible. None is found in the AWD.

** My comparison based on FWD and AWD MKX models.
While I'm sure they're very similiar in most ways, perhaps they did some things a little different in the Lincoln version, to make it more, Lincolny???

The steering in mine feels tight, very responsive.

I haven't gunned it yet, but it's pretty quick. It won't outrun any sports cars, but I'd guesstimate 0-60 in the high 7's, low 8's. Not bad for a v-6 SUV.

I just think about what Ford could do with this thing, with a little SVT massage to say 330 HP, with the AWD.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
Hersh, I need a favor of ya, can you maybe buy a Nissan Murano and do a test on it too?

That was a great writeup and you may have just sold another Edge for Ford, where do I send the commission check

LOL, thanks!

I'd considered the Murano. That's the one vehicle the guys at the Ford dealership feel is true competition for the Edge. They also said the Murano was that segments sales leader, but in the last three months, the Edge has surpassed it in units sold.

The Murano is nice, I did consider one, but ended up going with the MDX that time.

If Ford had the Edge then, chance are, that's what we would have bought.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Great post guys. I work for Ford in the Oakville plant as a Millwright, where the Edge and the Lincoln are made. They are built really solid. The weld tear down guys that check the welds say it is a major work out for them to tear this unit apart. They come off the line with very few if any end of line defects. It is a sweet unit to drive.
I'm glad you like it! Now lets hope Ford does not get greedy and start cheaping out on it to make a bigger profit! Like they did with the Windstar/Freestar.
Thank God they got rid of that clown that wanted all cars in the Ford chain to start with a "F". What a TOOL!

Quick Reply: BigHersh Review: 2007 Ford Edge SEL (Plus)