Let's start over......

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
It does very well on a 6" wall of snow. He has pics.

When I had to break through like last winter I hit the bank at 45mph and I still barely made it through and up the small hill in 4x4. It would have done serious damage to anything that didn't have a plow on it or lower than my truck. As it is I am suprised it didn't destroy my fogs and grill.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts
My mpg for the drive from Burleson dropped off this morning. Last two trips I got 21.0 and 21.2 for the 100 miles. This morning I got 20.0. There was no noticable wind, it was a couple of degrees cooler outside and I drove the same. The only thing different that I can think of is this is the first tank of Conoco gas. Previous tanks were Texaco.

I assume topping off or not topping off with a fillup does not affect the mpg calculation. I usually top off, but did not this time. The new filler with no removable gas cap makes it difficult to top off.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Topping off will affect your milage calculations, I use the same pump every time and when it clicks off that's what goes in the tank.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by dsq3973
Topping off will affect your milage calculations, I use the same pump every time and when it clicks off that's what goes in the tank.
Topping off will affect trip mileage? If I fillup and reset the trip A, how does that affect it? I can see it affecting the miles to go calulation, don't know how it does that, but how can it affect a trip calc? I thought ir=t was getting the info from a sensor measuring what was actually going to the engine.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I placed my order for my leaf springs and u-bolts Saturday and it still says "processing". Starting to wonder when they're going to ship...

Old 08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Topping off will affect trip mileage? If I fillup and reset the trip A, how does that affect it? I can see it affecting the miles to go calulation, don't know how it does that, but how can it affect a trip calc? I thought ir=t was getting the info from a sensor measuring what was actually going to the engine.
Not sure, I always hand calc my milage off my trip odo to fuel put in the tank of my fuel slip just because I don't have the read out and even in my wifes car with the read out I still figure it by hand. If it gives a gallon used read out they are probably using that to figure your mpg off of your odometer or trip odo. Although I notice a mpg change as the temps get colder even with my diesel and the other thing is the Conoco gas may have more alcohol in it compared to the Texaco fuel. One other thing is this is the time of the year that they start switching over to the winter blends at least up here but I don't know if you guys get winter blended fuels that far south.

Last edited by dsq3973; 08-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Global Moderator &

Yeah, I thought about the ethanol. This tank could have more in it. There are three different computer mileage calculations. Over all mileage which I have not reset since buying the truck, Trip A and Trip B, one which I reset every fillup and one I use to see what I get on various trips or stretches of highway(just play with it). I too calculate by hand every fill up and the computer has been right on.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, I thought about the ethanol. This tank could have more in it. There are three different computer mileage calculations. Over all mileage which I have not reset since buying the truck, Trip A and Trip B, one which I reset every fillup and one I use to see what I get on various trips or stretches of highway(just play with it). I too calculate by hand every fill up and the computer has been right on.
Trip A, I use for mileage calcs

Trip B, I use for oil change mileage

I use the economy meter display a lot

AMG display is spot on according to my hand calculations

Miles to go till empty is off a little.....

Then there's total gallons used display.....so you could use this to get your overall miles per gallon

Last edited by 88racing; 08-25-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Does the STA have the capless filler tube? I have had a hard time getting used to that. I open the flap and reah for the cap, and you can't see gas in the filler tube, so makes it difficult to top off and I like to top off as I have to use different pumps so often. when I close the lid, I feel as if I left something undone!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Does the STA have the capless filler tube? I have had a hard time getting used to that. I open the flap and reah for the cap, and you can't see gas in the filler tube, so makes it difficult to top off and I like to top off as I have to use different pumps so often. when I close the lid, I feel as if I left something undone!
No...still has a cap

The escape was the first to get that feature back in 09.....lot of them didn't like it ......but ford kept it.....

You should have gotten a filler funnel also....thats used for filling from containers....

Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 88racing
No...still has a cap

The escape was the first to get that feature back in 09.....lot of them didn't like it ......but ford kept it.....

You should have gotten a filler funnel also....thats used for filling from containers....
Yep, got the funnel.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM

Linch.....

Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Global Moderator &

yep

Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Global Moderator &

How does topping off affect the calc if you fill it to the top everytime. Seems like it takes out the problem of using different pumps. I also fill it as slowly as the handle will allow so as not to airiate the gas.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 PM

How does topping off affect the calc if you fill it to the top everytime. Seems like it takes out the problem of using different pumps. I also fill it as slowly as the handle will allow so as not to airiate the gas.
Some explanations I found.....

A: You should not top off the tank. Topping off the tank increases the likelihood of spills and can cause excess fuel to evaporate in the air. When this happens you are polluting the environment and wasting money spent on fuel that you are not using. Fuel vapors are toxic and bad for your health. Overfilling can also cause your car’s fuel vapor system not to work properly. Besides, your tank needs additional space for fuel to expand. To avoid any potentially hazardous situations, stop fueling when the pump clicks the first time.

The closed positive ventilation and vapor recovery system needs a certain amount of compressible air volume or free surface area to operate properly. Completely filling the tank may force fuel into the vapor recovery reservoir and might damage the fuel pump or make the car stall or run poorly. I think most gas caps do have a vent to let air into the tank to replace the fuel that is sucked out but, the hole is so small that it doesn't really play a big role while the car is running. Also, the fuel from the underground gas tanks at the gas station is colder than the air in summer and can expand and leak through the gas cap vent causing a strong fuel smell or even a small fuel spill.

Quick Reply: Let's start over......