Let's start over......

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you guys were to start over and go to college, what would you do? Im 20 and have been a boat mechanic since i was 14, but i dont think it's going to give me the pay i need to live comfortably, specialy in my area. I droped out of HS to get my GED when i was 17 so i could work full time(i know that was stupid as i missed out on the whole HS experiance plus the educational benifits). I have been noticing that the only people making any kind of real money in this bussiness is the owners and i dont think that there is enough of a future in the boating industry for that to be feasable, at least not anytime soon.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtrider596979
If you guys were to start over and go to college, what would you do? Im 20 and have been a boat mechanic since i was 14, but i dont think it's going to give me the pay i need to live comfortably, specialy in my area. I droped out of HS to get my GED when i was 17 so i could work full time(i know that was stupid as i missed out on the whole HS experiance plus the educational benifits). I have been noticing that the only people making any kind of real money in this bussiness is the owners and i dont think that there is enough of a future in the boating industry for that to be feasable, at least not anytime soon.
you could go part time and still keep your job....a lot of colleges have flexible schedules now....

its one thing to love your job and its another if you hate it...sometimes the job we love doesn't pay much but actually it does by keeping us sane....the jobs we hate will eat us up and our families from the inside out.....do whatever you think is best....its your choice....

Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM
I used to love my job but latley not so much, i think its mainly the marina i work for now(last 2 years) as its not the best in the area, but they were hiring. Some of the things i have to do to keep the boss happy just doesnt sit right with me moraly. I never wanted to stick it to the customer like they want. I'm not sure if that is making me think about this or not, just one of those "what if" kinda days maby. I mean c'mon, i work at the playground when you think about it, theres people that have a boat and come up on the weekends from over an hour away with there whole family as opposed to a traditional summer vacation

Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Thats one thing I couldnt do is work for a shady person like that. I have my marine and small engines schooling but I could never work for any of the shops around here. Me and a good friend have I took the course with are thinking of running our own lil shop

Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM

I used to love my job but latley not so much, i think its mainly the marina i work for now(last 2 years) as its not the best in the area, but they were hiring. Some of the things i have to do to keep the boss happy just doesnt sit right with me moraly. I never wanted to stick it to the customer like they want. I'm not sure if that is making me think about this or not, just one of those "what if" kinda days maby. I mean c'mon, i work at the playground when you think about it, theres people that have a boat and come up on the weekends from over an hour away with there whole family as opposed to a traditional summer vacation
its good to have morals....but the other part you're showing is envy>>>don't go there....those who you envy may not even have near what you have....

Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM
If I could do things over I would finish college and get my degree for business and auto tech with my SAE certs. My dad offered me a full time job with benefits and I jumped at it instead of finishing school. Don't get me wrong I have a good job but it's not what I truly enjoy doing but you know how the saying goes. The grass is always seems greener on the other side of the fence.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 88racing
where's that?
It's on an old back road with a small run down barn with a valley and woods behind it. I think in the spring/summer time it'd be a good view. Well, better than the storage place I've been using

Old 02-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Sounds sweet Matt

Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM

kewl Matt....looking forward to seeing the pics!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
its good to have morals....but the other part you're showing is envy>>>don't go there....those who you envy may not even have near what you have....
Its not that I envy them that's not what I was gettin at, more of I consider myself lucky to work were everyone comes to play

Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by shifty219
Thats one thing I couldnt do is work for a shady person like that. I have my marine and small engines schooling but I could never work for any of the shops around here. Me and a good friend have I took the course with are thinking of running our own lil shop
Where at, I'd come work for ya, I got a few merc certifications

Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
dave if you were closer i could hook you up with several people that work on the 6.uhohs

Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Where at, I'd come work for ya, I got a few merc certifications
You would have to become a Canadian Also we wont be that big, its more of a side thing we have going.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Seen this new Mcdonalds toy on FB

Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by shifty219
Seen this new Mcdonalds toy on FB
I'll have to remember that for next time we eat there...

Quick Reply: Let's start over......