Let's start over......

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I'm assuming your company gives you a vehicle to use or do you just get an allowance of some type and use your own vehicle?
I get a company vehicle plus reimbursed for job related expenses....also get $80/day sub pay out over 100 miles plus travel time

It's something and it's better than nothing but $80 doesn't cover a decent nights stay at a motel....i don't stay at five stars but I don't stay at rat holes either

Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Company wide flu shots this morning.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by PawPaw

At least up here when winter rolls around the road work stops

Old 09-17-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Company wide flu shots this morning.
Only time I ever got one, I got really sick....I haven't ever had one since and been quite fortunate about not getting th flu like some people get hit by it

Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Global Moderator &

I never used to get one, but started about 6 years ago when the company started bringing in a pharmacy to give them to everyone that would take it. My doctor always tried to get me to get one and I refused. I don't recall ever having the flu either before or after I started taking the shot. There were 54 that got the shot this morning, 7 turned it down.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 AM

Wake up weather was a chilly 43* this morning

Old 09-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Global Moderator &

That looks pretty good and close enough that it's not a big to-do just to get there! I was also thinking of the Lost Pines area around Bastrop.
My grandson fishes all the ponds and small lakes in the park. He used to be a guide there on Sunday afternoons. The daughters place backs up to the park. It's a pretty place, lots of hiking trails.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
My grandson fishes all the ponds and small lakes in the park. He used to be a guide there on Sunday afternoons. The daughters place backs up to the park. It's a pretty place, lots of hiking trails.
The primary draws for Will and I will be the availability of lots of hiking trails and the ability to have a campfire that we can sit around. The good thing about doing it towards late fall and into winter is that the gator and snake activity should be at a minimum.....

Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Global Moderator &

The primary draws for Will and I will be the availability of lots of hiking trails and the ability to have a campfire that we can sit around. The good thing about doing it towards late fall and into winter is that the gator and snake activity should be at a minimum.....
The gators pretty much leave you alone if you leave them alone. If one is on a trail just go around it(widely), If you see babies, leave them alone as Momma is usually nearby and has an eye on you.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
I get a company vehicle plus reimbursed for job related expenses....also get $80/day sub pay out over 100 miles plus travel time

It's something and it's better than nothing but $80 doesn't cover a decent nights stay at a motel....i don't stay at five stars but I don't stay at rat holes either
Yeah -- over the last 20 years I have elected to take a mileage reimbursement (currently 57.5-cents per mile) instead of going the company vehicle route, and since I have always kept my work transportation small and economical (Ford Rangers and my current Chevy Cavalier) I have always been able to make money on this arrangement. However, with all the miles I have put on this year I am worried that my company will force me into a company truck (Chevy Silverado) next year, but am keeping my fingers crossed that I can sneak under the radar and just continue what I've been doing.

In most years, my mileage allowance ends up turning into some pretty nice "mad money" by the end of the year. This year it has been especially so given the drop in fuel prices -- it's amazing how gas that's $1.00 a gallon less than it was a year ago can really pile-up on your bottom line when you drive as much as I do!

My company also pays my lodging and any reasonable meal expenses while I am on the road. I agree -- $80.00 a night won't go far trying to pay for lodging and meal expenses, but if that's your program, what are you going to do? I usually stay at Fairfield Inns or Courtyards and have noticed over the last year or so that rooms have really gone up a lot -- and the same can be said for restaurant meals.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 AM

Yeah -- over the last 20 years I have elected to take a mileage reimbursement (currently 57.5-cents per mile) instead of going the company vehicle route, and since I have always kept my work transportation small and economical (Ford Rangers and my current Chevy Cavalier) I have always been able to make money on this arrangement. However, with all the miles I have put on this year I am worried that my company will force me into a company truck (Chevy Silverado) next year, but am keeping my fingers crossed that I can sneak under the radar and just continue what I've been doing.

In most years, my mileage allowance ends up turning into some pretty nice "mad money" by the end of the year. This year it has been especially so given the drop in fuel prices -- it's amazing how gas that's $1.00 a gallon less than it was a year ago can really pile-up on your bottom line when you drive as much as I do!

My company also pays my lodging and any reasonable meal expenses while I am on the road. I agree -- $80.00 a night won't go far trying to pay for lodging and meal expenses, but if that's your program, what are you going to do? I usually stay at Fairfield Inns or Courtyards and have noticed over the last year or so that rooms have really gone up a lot -- and the same can be said for restaurant meals.
With what I do for work it's not really feasible to provide my own transportation....there's Union bylaws that I try to abide by...I wish I could do it that way but I'm happy on the other hand that I don't foot the bill for the 11,000 lb loaded pig....I'd be loosing money on tires, drivetrain, and gas....imo

In retrospect I've learned to make lemonade from lemons with that $80....I just write off those recorded amounts on my taxes...true I don't immediately get reimbursed for it but eventually I get some of it back....

It'd be nice to get to do inspections all the time then a smaller truck with less tools and parts would work but as of right now I do inspections, maintenance, service, repairs, and new installs, so as you can see my cup runeth over

Last edited by 88racing; 09-17-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 AM

The gators pretty much leave you alone if you leave them alone. If one is on a trail just go around it(widely), If you see babies, leave them alone as Momma is usually nearby and has an eye on you.
C'mon Jim .....Just pick'm up and pet them...

Old 09-17-2015, 10:53 AM

I never used to get one, but started about 6 years ago when the company started bringing in a pharmacy to give them to everyone that would take it. My doctor always tried to get me to get one and I refused. I don't recall ever having the flu either before or after I started taking the shot. There were 54 that got the shot this morning, 7 turned it down.
My wife who works at a medical absolutely refused to get one up until last year until the medical corporation that she works for made it manditory company wide....even that same corporate entity makes it so that us contact workers half to show record of getting one and being current....my wife's and my doctor just signs off on ours every year that we're allergic to the vacine...one way to get around it

Old 09-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Old 09-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Ran some errands this morning now it's time to mow some grass. Only around 80 degrees and windy today.

Quick Reply: Let's start over......