Let's start over......

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Had a dripping shower faucet in our master bathroom that I finally broke down and called a plumber to come and fix today. He's having a devil of a time getting the old Moen cartridge out -- sure glad I didn't decide to tackle this project over the weekend!

Makes me feel a whole lot better about paying the professional to do the job instead of me hacking away and cussing at it all weekend as a do-it-yourselfer.....
Those are a cakewalk....IMO

He's probably using the wrong removal tool

Old 10-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
Those are a cakewalk....IMO

He's probably using the wrong removal tool
He said he broke Moen's removal tool trying to get it out and from what I could tell the few times I popped my head back there, he ended up driving some long screws into the cartridge unit and torqued on it a bit with some pliers. That may not be the most professional description, but then again, me and my old man's plumbing exploits usually ended up with him underneath the sink being sprayed with water and shouting at the top of his lungs, "TURN THE WATER OFF!!!!"

Old 10-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Had a dripping shower faucet in our master bathroom that I finally broke down and called a plumber to come and fix today. He's having a devil of a time getting the old Moen cartridge out -- sure glad I didn't decide to tackle this project myself over the weekend! Makes me feel a whole lot better about paying the professional to do the job instead of me hacking away and cussing at it all weekend long as a do-it-yourselfer.....
I just went through the same thing. Had to pay the plumber Tuesday to come out and stop the shower head from dripping. Not a Moen but an off brand that came with the house. He had to modify a Delta gasket kit to work. Works a lot better so I guess it was worth it. Got him to inspect my sewer plant while he was out here also.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:27 PM

My 2-1/2 yr old grandson with his new toy.

He likes it!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Cute kid!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Global Moderator &

My truck is one year old. I have put 23,300 miles on it this year.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Cute kid!
He takes after his Pawpaw!

Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 AM
My truck is one year old. I have put 23,300 miles on it this year.
Only 18K on mine but no more 100 mile a day commute since I retired. The 23K is what I was putting on in a year just going back and forth to work. I can't believe it's almost 4 yrs since I retired.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Global Moderator &

53 degrees this morning. Nice!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Only 18K on mine but no more 100 mile a day commute since I retired. The 23K is what I was putting on in a year just going back and forth to work. I can't believe it's almost 4 yrs since I retired.
I was talking to my B-I-L back in Minnesota this week and on Thursday it was 4-years to the day since he retired. He quit working at 62 and was thinking that if he had hung in there this week would have been his last for sure. He has quite a bit of money invested so I don't think there was any economic incentive for him to stay longer than what he had to, although I know when he finally got on Medicare at 65 he had a lot more room in his budget.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:02 AM
53 degrees this morning. Nice!
Nice down here this morning as well -- not quite as cool as you are, but bone-dry humidity that finally makes it feel like we're into October!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I was talking to my B-I-L back in Minnesota this week and on Thursday it was 4-years to the day since he retired. He quit working at 62 and was thinking that if he had hung in there this week would have been his last for sure. He has quite a bit of money invested so I don't think there was any economic incentive for him to stay longer than what he had to, although I know when he finally got on Medicare at 65 he had a lot more room in his budget.
I ended up retiring on my 64th birthday. 20 to 24 buck's a day in gas plus my driving and wear and tear on my truck prompted that decision. I only had to wait 1 year for Medicare so that wasn't too bad. Money saved from high insurance premiums for me and the wife plus the gas save me close to $800 bucks a month. Took what I had in my 401 and paid off the truck and other bills I had so all I have now is a house note and my utilities. The wife still works but may cut back a lot when she turns 65 in March.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
I ended up retiring on my 64th birthday. 20 to 24 buck's a day in gas plus my driving and wear and tear on my truck prompted that decision. I only had to wait 1 year for Medicare so that wasn't too bad. Money saved from high insurance premiums for me and the wife plus the gas save me close to $800 bucks a month. Took what I had in my 401 and paid off the truck and other bills I had so all I have now is a house note and my utilities. The wife still works but may cut back a lot when she turns 65 in March.
It's hard for me to conceive of being able to live without working, but I guess in another 10 - 12 years (with any luck) I'll get the opportunity......

I have to be honest -- I never really envisioned myself not working, but these last few years on the job have really started to change my attitude about that. My company now runs so freaking lean that they have essentially extracted any feeling of "reward" for the work you put in on a day-to-day basis. Now it feels more like a survival contest than any kind of rewarding career.

The arrangement we essentially have now is that I try to extract as much as I can from them (the company) and they try to extract as much as they can from me -- there is no real feeling of loyalty to the firm and I see my job as nothing more than a means to and end. Kind of sad from how things used to be only a short time ago.....

Old 10-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone heard of having to get some part of the computer reset by the dealer when putting a new battery in? I have been getting the battery saver message on the radio the last week and this morning when I turned the ignition on I have a big red battery light on the info screen. This will be 3rd battery in the truck since bought.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Has anyone heard of having to get some part of the computer reset by the dealer when putting a new battery in? I have been getting the battery saver message on the radio the last week and this morning when I turned the ignition on I have a big red battery light on the info screen. This will be 3rd battery in the truck since bought.
No, that doesn't make sense. Usually all you lose are your radio station presets. Never heard of having to reset the computer. I've been having some issues with the highest setting on my A/C recently shutting of randomly, so I disconnected the battery to have it load tested. Hooked it back up and I haven't had any weird battery lights. Actually didn't even lose the radio stations. Maybe a wiring or alternator issue?

Quick Reply: Let's start over......