History Made Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Superior to who?
My peers (all races). I've outperformed them at work, and in the class room (Phi Beta Kappa, Magna *** Laude). I can learn anything. Give me a day of good training, and I can fly a freaking 747.

That's just how I feel. I normally never say it publicly- but, that's how I feel.

My point is your ancestors weren't they only ones to get screwed when the came over here. The difference is, you don't hear anyone else bitching about it.
Who's b!tching? I thought we were debating. Let's keep this above board. I hear Jews whining all the time about what Hitler did to them (rightfully so.). Anti-Semitic this & that. What happened to them is no more horrific than what slaves had happen to them. Dead is dead. That's in the past too, but no one tells the Jews they should forget what happened to them.

Slavery may have ended 143 years ago, but blacks were not treated much better in the USA until after the Civil Rights movement of 1964-1965. Twenty years after the Holocaust.

I never got $*&% asshat. My grandparents were dirt poor and busted their asses so their kids could have a better life. My grandfather was a factory worker for 40 years, my mother had to go to work at the corner store when she was 12 to help bring in money for the family. Before that, my family wasn't even here, so "historically" we didn't get any advantages either. Don't give me this "White's have it easy" BS.
Acknowledged. Yes, there are poor white people in the USA. A LOT of them. But, anytime you hear about poverty, welfare, food stamps, etc. What face do you generally see associated with it? Poverty knows no racial preference, but the media and what you see (ghetto, etc.) would have you believe it's only a "black" problem. No one takes pictures of the trailer parks...

My folks were poor too. My grandfather worked at a lumber yard, and my mother was the first black teacher in an all white school after desegregation. Both our folks had a lot of sh*t to deal with.

Who don't you trust? The white man in general? Isn't that being racist? What more do you want, more special treatment? Maybe black people shouldn't have to pay taxes, would that make you trust the white man more? I've always believed that people who have trust issues usually have some serious issues of their own.- NCSU
I don't trust the system.
No, it's not racist, it's called being skeptical.
What special treatment will I be getting more of?

I'd love to not pay taxes. But, as long as you pay them, I'll pay them.

I appreciate the diagnosis, Dr. Phil. You know me about as well as I know you. These guys out here know me, and they know I'm no bigot, nor do I have issues. However, when someone says something I don't agree with, I'll address it, if I feel so compelled- as do you.

Maybe we both have issues.

Last edited by Bighersh; 06-07-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You make valid points Hersh, but I still see any advantage given to one group and not another as fundamentally wrong.

Originally Posted by Bighersh
lot of people think this means quotas, but the only aspect of business in which companies are scrutinized by the percentage of minorities they have on staff, are companies of a certain size, and companies who work for- or have direct dealings (contracts) with the US government.
So admittedly, the Government is discriminating against companies (of certain sizes, who have government contracts) if they don't hire "enough" minorities. That makes me just as mad as it would make you if a company didn't give you their work because you're black. I just don't feel it's right and I don't think it helps erase the lines that once separated us.

Just curious- why would a reputable company subcontract any portion of their work out to a company believed to be sub-standard to your own capabilities? Perhaps they are a capable company. Otherwise, you guys wouldn't use them, would you?
They are a capable company in their own rights. But when you're inspecting a bridge for signs of fatigue and possible failure, would you rather have a licensed civil or structural engineer looking at it, or someone who can tell you "there's a crack" but not know how or why it got there?

We've used them to get contracts where the inspection is routine and really secondary concern, and the engineering/design is the primary focus. Sure our divers could do the work, but we wouldn't get the contract at all because a while male runs the company. My company is small, less than 500 world wide and we specialize in waterfront engineering. I'd compare it to having a foot injury and you have the choice of going to "doc-in-the-box" or Podiatrist for the same price. I know what this other company charges because when we do use them it's simply a pass-thru cost.

Maybe we both have issues.
Maybe so

My peers (all races). I've outperformed them at work, and in the class room (Phi Beta Kappa, Magna *** Laude). I can learn anything. Give me a day of good training, and I can fly a freaking 747.

That's just how I feel. I normally never say it publicly- but, that's how I feel.
Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 06-07-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 PM
It's the only time you'll see a black man beat a white woman and get away with it, except for O.J..

Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 AM
You make valid points Hersh, but I still see any advantage given to one group and not another as fundamentally wrong.
Ack'd. Like I said, it's not a perfect solution, by any means.

So admittedly, the Government is discriminating against companies (of certain sizes, who have government contracts) if they don't hire "enough" minorities. That makes me just as mad as it would make you if a company didn't give you their work because you're black. I just don't feel it's right and I don't think it helps erase the lines that once separated us.
I can understand that perception. However, this was in place long before I was born. (OK, maybe not long before...) I guess the government (President, Senators, and Representatives) never saw a need to change it. I guess it's there way of assuring that the companies they deal with are taking "affirmative action".

They are a capable company in their own rights. But when you're inspecting a bridge for signs of fatigue and possible failure, would you rather have a licensed civil or structural engineer looking at it, or someone who can tell you "there's a crack" but not know how or why it got there?
An engineer- without a doubt.
I've seen cracks in overpass pilars before, and reported it to the news station. They got the engineers to look at it.

Side Note: Little did I know that a guy who I became friends with, was a structural engineer working for D.A.R.T. He confirmed what the news, found. "No problem". Something to the effect of, it's not the concrete, but the "steel" it protects, that is actually supporting the weight. (I'm interested in all that kind of stuff (especially bridges), but know nothing about the actual engineering.

Maybe so
LOL

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?
I'm an Account Manager. I am a liaison and interface for the customer on the front end, and on the internal side, I support their business by managing the design, engineering, provisioning, and implementation of their global data networks.

I'm essentially a Project Manager, without the title...

Old 06-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I can understand that perception. However, this was in place long before I was born. (OK, maybe not long before...) I guess the government (President, Senators, and Representatives) never saw a need to change it. I guess it's there way of assuring that the companies they deal with are taking "affirmative action".
Don't count on the government to change laws once they're in place. People have written entire books listing all the stupid laws that are still 'technically' on the books...

Side Note: Little did I know that a guy who I became friends with, was a structural engineer working for D.A.R.T. He confirmed what the news, found. "No problem". Something to the effect of, it's not the concrete, but the "steel" it protects, that is actually supporting the weight. (I'm interested in all that kind of stuff (especially bridges), but know nothing about the actual engineering.
Yup, concrete cracks all the time, and it's not that big of a problem. The problem arises when moisture gets in through those cracks and starts to corrode the rebar (the steel inside the concrete).

If you really are interested in this kinda stuff, take a few entry level Civil and Mechanical Engineering classes (I'm a mechanical by degree, but 95% of my work now is civil) if you have a college nearby that offers them. I know NC State has a "Life Long Education" program where you can pretty much take any class, but the credits won't count towards a degree, and they're the last group to register for classes, so not every class is always available.

On the ME side I'd say look at some statics and dynamics courses, on the CE side look for any entry level class.

Or just get a few books and peruse at your leisure. Having a good understanding of basic math (pretty much algebra is all you'd need) helps, but you should still be able to figure out the concepts, even if you can't solve the numerical problems.

I'm an Account Manager. I am a liaison and interface for the customer on the front end, and on the internal side, I support their business by managing the design, engineering, provisioning, and implementation of their global data networks.

I'm essentially a Project Manager, without the title...
Cool deal. What type of industry do you deal with most of the time? Most of our engineers serve as project managers as well. I am also a dive supervisor for the underwater inspections that we do.

- NCSU

Edited to add: Oh yeah, taking a physics class would be very beneficial as well. It's usually taught in two stages. The first class is usually deals with mechanics, the second deals mainly with electricity and light. Don't bother with the 2nd class, just take the one that teaches classical Newtonian physics (F=ma type stuff).

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 06-08-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Yup, concrete cracks all the time, and it's not that big of a problem. The problem arises when moisture gets in through those cracks and starts to corrode the rebar (the steel inside the concrete).
Yep... Who knew those skinny strands of steel coudl be so strong? (Rebar)

He and I were coming from a Mavericks game one night, and We were sitting at the red light approaching the massive overpasses of the Dallas North Tollway. Some of these things at various intersections span 8 lanes (3 in each direction, and two turn lanes *one in each direction)).

I noticed only maybe 1 - 2 feet on either side was supporting the span on what I call a "T" bar. That didn't look like enough support to me, but he told me the way overpasses are designed, they actually get stronger (to a point) as weight is added.

How can that be? (If you can tell me in a Cliff Notes version)

Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wittom
So, people are ok with passivity as long as there is prosperity? Isn't our prosperity part of the reason the terrorists hit us?

The economy was stable untill the Dot.com bubble burst.

Employment was plentiful. I think it was around 5% unemployment?

No wars. Just troops in Bosnia. We don't talk about that though.

A few terrorist attacks, which weren't considered a problem. The terrorists got that message loud and clear.

The good 'ol days when we learned that oral sex isn't actually sex. Now thirteen year old girls think it's ok to give the boys BJs in the middle school bathroom. That Bill Clinton. He's the man.

There are a lot of things to be pissed about now. Like the hypocracy.

Some people are hurting because they weren't on firm footing to begin with. Some people are hurting because they were high on the hog fo so long that when they fell off they didn't think they could get back up there. There are a few of us who have worked at becoming resiliant, so that we can wether this ever changing society we are participating in.
Valid points. Talk to a homeless vet. He probably can explain things a lot better than I ever could. - Og

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 AM
I noticed only maybe 1 - 2 feet on either side was supporting the span on what I call a "T" bar. That didn't look like enough support to me, but he told me the way overpasses are designed, they actually get stronger (to a point) as weight is added.

How can that be? (If you can tell me in a Cliff Notes version)
I'm not really a bridge guy, our Richmond VA office specializes in bridges. I inspect mostly with piers, wharfs, bulkheads, stuff you'd find in and around ports, and underwater. (Actually I was hired to do railroad design, the inspection side of things I kinda just fell into.)

As to getting stronger with added weight, it must have something to do with adding compressive forces to the concrete. Concrete has superb compressive strength, but is very poor in tensile strength. Basically you can't pull on concrete, only squeeze it.

Those extra forces might help keep moisture from seeping through the concrete and corroding the rebar. That would be my guess. It could also have something to do with the added mass having better resistance to the forces the cars driving on it apply to the bridge.

Of course if you add too much force, the concrete will fail, then you've got big problems.

How long was the bridge? If it wasn't very long the abutments could be supporting most of the forces anyways.

- NCSU

Old 06-09-2008, 12:42 PM

How long was the bridge? If it wasn't very long the abutments could be supporting most of the forces anyways.

- NCSU
8 lanes and a small median, so I'd say at least 90 - 100 feet across, end to end, with no middle support pillars.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by OgRedd
Talk to a homeless vet. He probably can explain things a lot better than I ever could.
A homeless vet might be able to explain their situation better than you but I don't know that they'd necessarily have much over you beyond that.

I'm not sure where the homeless vet angle comes in but let me give you my take. The fact that there are homeless vets is a sheer tragedy. There is no reason that people who have fought, and sacrificed so much for all of us here in this country should have to face the reality of being homeless here in their own country. This isn't something new though. This isn't a result of Bush or the "war in Iraq". It's an unfortunate consequence of our freedom.

We don't put a high enough value on our military men and women. We don't give them the respect they deserve. Our government should always fund initiatives to get the care that our soldiers need before funding pork proposals and entitlement programs. They're too selfish to do so and we're too ignorant to press them to make the right choices.

I hold our military men and women in the highest regaurd. I'm not so sure that Obama and his party do. I don't see them working so hard to get soldiers the care that they need BEFORE funding their "constituents" pet projects. They can criticize Bush and the republicans, perhaps at times with merit, but beyond that they have done nothing. I think that they're more interested in keeping the polls where they want them so that they can have a majority and fund more pork and pet projects. I don't see a party more honest an ethical than the republicans. I see a party that is all that they accuse the republicans of being. They just seem to think that they have a better excuse.

Yes, I too want to see the homeless vets taken care of with the respect that they have earned. I would also like to see that soldiers that are busting their asses TODAY for us and our country get the respect and credit they deserve. It almost seems like people have forgotten that they are still there. They are doing great things and we aren't even paying attention. We only pay attention when they are being killed. Why is that?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Wittom, I agree that the way many vets are treated is sickening. However, I don't think that just because you were in the military you should be given a free ride when you get out.

There will be homeless vets just like there will be homeless non-vets. Now the ones who have mental or physical issues stemming from their service, they should be taken care of. The ones who fell on tough times, they're like everyone else who've fallen on tough times.

Unfortunately I think you're right about the current democrats, hopefully we won't have to see where Obama might lead us.

- NCSU

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't think that just because you were in the military you should be given a free ride when you get out.
I'm with you here. I'm not for giving anyone a free ride. I realize that soldiers are regular people like you and me, with a different kind of job. I realize that they aren't immune to the ills of our society.

If someone get's knocked down I don't believe it's the responsibility of the tax payers to pick them up. If it's fighting in a war for the tax payers that knocked them down, we need to step up.

I'd venture a guess that a majority of the homeless vets have "issues" related to their service. Those are the ones I think that we should be placing at the front of the line.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:37 PM
^

- NCSU

Old 06-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wittom
...I hold our military men and women in the highest reguard. I'm not so sure that Obama and his party do. I don't see them working so hard to get soldiers the care that they need BEFORE funding their "constituents" pet projects. They can criticize Bush and the republicans, perhaps at times with merit, but beyond that they have done nothing....
You should do a little research on the new GI Bill.
Who authored it....
Who sponsored it...
Which candidate is for it...
Which candidate is against it...
and who wants to veto it....

Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Raoul
You should do a little research on the new GI Bill.
Who authored it....
Who sponsored it...
Which candidate is for it...
Which candidate is against it...
How much Pork is added...
and who wants to veto it....
Fixed it...

Quick Reply: History Made Last Night