New GM Duramax--Test Drove My Uncle's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Well 4x4 - I will state right off the bat I am not experienced with ANY diesel motor. I do know however what brand I have confidence in & that is why I got the truck I have.
Yes - it's a first model year which came from a long line of PROVEN trucks. NO other brand has the sales to back this fact up - Ford does. I had enough faith in Ford to produce the new model F150 after seeing how successful the previous trucks are. I have not been disappointed. Will my truck ever have problems? Of course it will. Am I going to start bashing every owner who has a Ford? No! Will I still buy another Ford? Yes! If you want to continue this I can be found in chat every night - I'd be more than glad to go 1 on 1 with you. As 1 of the "Blue Bloods" I have a feeling you won't bother to show but at least I have extended the offer. We can have a meaningful exchange if you're willing but please do not bash anymore here. This is not a battle field - it's a message board.

------------------

www.andthensometoo.com/owners/cowlady
Love my truck & PROUD of it! If you can't beat 'em, you're NOT driving a FORD!
Shovies PROVE that FORD'S are #1!!
'97 Black F150 XLT ORP 4X4 Reg Cab/LB
4.6L/auto/3.55 LS/power EVERYTHING,
nerf bars, 17" wheels, fog lights, trailer hitch w/electrical connector, front tow hooks, bed rail caps,
6 CD changer, lumbar support & 3 cow license plates - so far!

[This message has been edited by Cowlady (edited 04-24-2001).]

Old 04-24-2001, 06:06 PM
4x4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cowlady:
Well 4x4 - I will state right off the bat I am not experienced with ANY diesel motor. I do know however what brand I have confidence in & that is why I got the truck I have.
Yes - it's a first model year which came from a long line of PROVEN trucks. NO other brand has the sales to back this fact up - Ford does. I had enough faith in Ford to produce the new model F150 after seeing how successful the previous trucks are. I have not been disappointed. Will my truck ever have problems? Of course it will. Am I going to start bashing every owner who has a Ford? No! Will I still buy another Ford? Yes! If you want to continue this I can be found in chat every night - I'd be more than glad to go 1 on 1 with you. As 1 of the "Blue Bloods" I have a feeling you won't bother to show but at least I have extended the offer. We can have a meaningful exchange if you're willing but please do not bash anymore here. This is not a battle field - it's a message board.

</font>
WTF are you talking about Cow? I'm bashed (if you can call it that) cuz one i got bashed 2) the truck i drive got bashed

Start bashing everyone? Give me a break....i didn't go ANYWHERE except where the topic on my truck was at....you make it sound like i was all over the board causing problems...i know this a ford board, but this topic is about the DMAX and chevy....

If you don't like topics that deal with Chevy's, its real simple, don't click on it....Yeah if i have time i will join you in chat, but seeing that talking on a truck board is not the most important thing in life,...i might not make it....

[Yes - it's a first model year which came from a long line of PROVEN trucks. NO other brand has the sales to back this fact up - Ford does] What? Nothing about the triton was proved in 97....no other truck has the sales to back that up huh? LOL- what do you think about GM winning the sales war so far this year? LOL

------------------
Sold
99 F250SD Black Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 5inch National Spring lift, 35x15.50 Swampers, 16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpios, Full Billet grill, LIne-X liner, Procomp and Rancho shocks, 40 Series Flowmaster, recalibrated speedo, superchipped,K&N filter,2 JL audio 10's behind rear seat, audio art 6channel amp

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

Old 04-24-2001, 07:58 PM
i was reading a mag. i think it was motor trend or truck trend and they put the duramax up against ford and dodge. well the stated torque for the duramax was 520 and the ford was 490 i think. well they had a actual as tested ( must be they dynoed) and the ford had an actual of 520lbs of torque compared to the chevys 495. silly numbers huh. oh it was the same way with the h.p. too. pick up the mag and see for yourself. i am pretty sure it was truck trend and it has a pic of all 3 of the real trucks (no rice) on the front page. must have been a month or two ago.

------------------
1998 xlt off road 5.4lsupercab auto pacific green clearcoat power drivers seat, keyless remote with factory alarm, tow package

2001 yamaha 660r raptor 4 wheeler

Old 04-24-2001, 10:19 PM
I raced my brother in-laws Duramax and I only could beat it buy a truck lentgh
the engine runs hard for a diesel
I've yet to run into any powerstrokes that are that fast
and he tows a 10,000 trailer with it
says it's the best towing vehicle he has right now
yes there probably will be a few problems the first year or two
but it's got a bright future.

------------------
99 XLT SC 4x4 STYLESIDE ORP 5.4,AUTO & 3.73 POSI
MED. TOREADOR RED
EXTANG TONEAU,BED MAT,
K&N FILTER & WOOD DASH KIT

Old 04-24-2001, 11:33 PM
Smile

The powerstroke diesal is a great engine. I have droven my bosses before f-350 supercab the thing was torquey. I was also with him when towing a 6,000 plus hot tar kettle that has no brakes. It handled it with ease. We had to go up a steep incline and down one. The durmax still has to prove its self though. I can't say nothing bad about the new HD since Motor trend gave it truck of the year for a reason. They do extensive testing on the test vehicles. They loved everything about it including the 5 speed allison

------------------
2001 F-150 5.4L trition,
Regular cab with 8' bed
XLT with Black Clearcoat
4x4 3.55 limited slip
factory cab steps
class III tow package
Factory ordered: 12/5
recieved: 2/22

Current Mods: Ford Plastic bedliner, Bug Deflector II

Old 04-25-2001, 01:39 AM
Thumbs up

4x4,

Great looking truck!!! I too was VERY impressed with the DuraMax when I test drove ti and if I could have justified the cost and could have waited to get one, would have bought the 2500HD Crew Cab DuraMax over the F-250SD Crew Cab with the PS (which I test drove too). In the end the F-150 SuperCrew better fit my needs and I'm very happy with it in the first 5 days I've had it. Good luck with the HD and don't let closed minds run you off this board. All truck are cool, regardless of opinions!

------------------
2001 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
2000 Suburban LT 4x4
2000 Honda RC51
1999 Mustang GT Convertible

[This message has been edited by SuperCrewMark (edited 04-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SuperCrewMark (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 04-25-2001, 02:08 AM
Angry

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 4x4:
WTF are you talking about Cow? I'm bashed (if you can call it that) cuz one i got bashed 2) the truck i drive got bashed

&lt;Snipped&gt;

</font>
THIS IS TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR.

Do you want to tell us what "WTF" stands for, because in my book, the "F" is an expletive that must NOT be used here. It's Cowlady, not Cow. Is there any doubt what you were trying to imply with that? Is this the kind of stuff you would want your grandmother reading?

I think you owe Cowlady and us an apology.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 04-25-2001, 02:12 AM
4x4, that is a really nice looking setup you have there with the Chevy. I will admit, the only Ford I have ever owned to this point was a 1991 Ford Festiva LOL (don't laugh, it was my first new car). In between I have had a Chevy, Geo, and 3 Dodges. My current is a 99 Ram. I will admit, of all my vehicles owned, the Dodge has proved to be excellent with no problems whatsoever. I bought a 4x2 when I really wanted a 4x4 at the time. So I have decided to try my luck at a F-250. If this truck runs well, then great. If not, I won't be buying another one obviously. I am always willing to give each maker a chance. Dodge has led my last 3, so it's time to let Ford try. I like to change vehicles quite often and I used to go between cars and trucks...not now, trucks will be the only vehicles I drive from now on.

The way I look at it, we are all "Truck" owners. I don't think that saying that one is better than another just because of what you have is right. Thats like someone saying I am white, so that makes me better than you. Just as with people, there are those bad vehicles which make one "stigmatize" a particular brand from a past experience whether good or bad. But just because one or two out of the lot is bad, doesn't mean the whole line is bad.

So instead of bashing each other on who makes a better this or that, just come in open minded to the fact that we all brothers and sisters in the world of "trucks".

Old 04-25-2001, 02:18 AM
I agree with wemjr in where he said "What you need to realize is that these are opinions and opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one." There is good an bad trucks in them all. I do not dispute the fact there might be problems but of course Ford has them too. I say drive whatever you want and don't listen to any crap. Cowlady is right though in the facts of the sales tracts on the F150 and Consumer Reports rated it (F150) a very reliable truck, even the first year of prduction (1997). If anyone needs proof I would be happy to send you a scanned page of the book. Sorry, can't help but defend my Ford.

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4wd 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed 2 tone royal blue w tan bottom, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests

Current Mods
K&N Filter
Xact Plug Wires- 8mm
Ventshade side window deflectors,read window deflector, bug guard, headlight and taillight blackouts
custom hand painted Ford emblems on door jamb guards and under hood on plastic intake cover
plastic mud guards
custom 4x4 off road graphics
Ford hitch cover and license plate frame
Custom carpet liner (protects factory carpet)
Slyvania Cool Blue Headlight and fog lamp bulbs
oh yeah, one custom dent and scratch from a deer the night before deer season

Old 04-25-2001, 02:50 AM
Lightbulb

Just some numbers for the arguments sake.
Ford PS 275HP@2800 520Tk@1600
Chevy DM 300HP@3100 520Tk@1800
Ok the duramax does produce more hp but why do all of chevys engines rate so high in the rpms i mean i know 200 or 300 rpms arent a whole hell of alot but when running with a loaded trailer I sure would rather not run my engine as high, for 1 to save gas to save the engine. I would really like to see some Hp and torque curves on both trucks. I favor the Ford cause it is proven and will run, Chevy is new and will have to see how they can handle a load, but wait dodge is also in the mix wait no their not.

------------------
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

[This message has been edited by Aggie04 (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 04-25-2001, 01:56 PM
4x4

here ya go Dennis...LOL....j/k, i guess i will send this over to the chinese

------------------
Sold
99 F250SD Black Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 5inch National Spring lift, 35x15.50 Swampers, 16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpios, Full Billet grill, LIne-X liner, Procomp and Rancho shocks, 40 Series Flowmaster, recalibrated speedo, superchipped,K&N filter,2 JL audio 10's behind rear seat, audio art 6channel amp

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

Old 04-25-2001, 05:48 PM
Angry

Typical.

Old 04-26-2001, 08:50 AM
4x4
Dennis, man, you need to relax...you are taking this stuff way to personal..

------------------
Sold

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

Old 04-26-2001, 03:41 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 4x4:
Dennis, man, you need to relax...you are taking this stuff way to personal..

</font>

Your choice of language in your response to Cowlady was denigrating at best and you needed to be called onto the carpet for that. Since nobody else was doing it, I did. I still think Cowlady deserves an apology.

Your flippant response just goes towards making the argument that you are the typical low-classed Chevy owner trying to troll and flame this board.

Old 04-26-2001, 04:16 PM
4x4
Angry

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dennis:

Your choice of language in your response to Cowlady was denigrating at best and you needed to be called onto the carpet for that. Since nobody else was doing it, I did. I still think Cowlady deserves an apology.

Your flippant response just goes towards making the argument that you are the typical low-classed Chevy owner trying to troll and flame this board.
</font>

You know what, I have read numerous posting about blasting chovies as cowladys calls them and that is fine...its a ford board, but she came out and blasted me for no reason...

Your attitude towards me is just your anti chevy guy in you and thats fine, but give me a break, if i was a troll i would be causing problems all over this board....have i? This is the only topic i have ever had any heated discussion on...it seems you are just looking for something to gripe about, if you want to read profanity go read the thread 36's in the suspension forum....one of your fellow ford memebers is getting out of hand, instead of discriminating against chevy owners, apply your anti language to the rest of the board...until then

thanks board patrol dennis

------------------
Sold

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

Quick Reply: New GM Duramax--Test Drove My Uncle's