New GM Duramax--Test Drove My Uncle's

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New GM Duramax--Test Drove My Uncle's

Five days ago My Uncle came over at Midnight. He was so excited, they had just took delivery of his new 3500 H/D Crew Cab with the Duramax Diesel.
Trying not to be opinionated, as a Ford Loyalist; the truck rode excellant, was quiet & had no evident flaws--it was dark outside when I drove it.
Major downfall I found, acceleration was poor (compared to another friends 7.3L Powerstroke that I had driven 2 years earlier). Big problem: power steering took MASSIVE effort to turn at low speeds.
The next day I talked to one of my customers, that I thought was a big GM fan; I was telling him about the new Durmax and he started laughing. His words, "the Duramax is a piece of crap". "I just hauled a big boat to Georgia--using a Durmax and it doesent even come close to the power & stamina of the 7.3L powerstroke."
I then looked out the door & noticed this Guy was driving a super-duty with 7.3L.
I personally feel that GM is trying to build a better truck. I still think they have a long way to go before they top the #1. Ford.

------------------
1999 Teal Blue F-150 S/C
4.6L, XLT, 3.55 L/S 4x2
Tow pkg., Rhino liner, Engine block heater & Swiss hard toneau cover. Premium sound
255/75 R16 Generals-owl
This" is Mama's pride"

Old 04-23-2001, 01:07 AM
A friend I work with has a new Duramax, I will say this, it will start at -20F without plugging in the block heater and conventional oil in the pan. We have six company trucks with the Powerstrokes and they won't come close to that.

Old 04-23-2001, 01:35 AM
Well I'll tell you this, the new Duramax diesels really suck. You have to take into consideration that this is the first year for them, but I still hate them. I've also heard that the new 5spd allison auto trannys that GM was hyping so much are piles of crap too. I think that GM needs to do ALOT more work before they even have a decent attempt at a good truck. Oh, and stephen I've seen a 97 f250 with a PS start after sitting out all night in -20 degree weather without being pluged in. Just remember that on the newer diesels they have made them easier to start in the winter, so the limiting factor will be if they can keep the fuel from geling up on them.

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat
Ext Cab Short Box
4x4 Off Road Package
3.55 Gears
285/75 R16 Kelly Springfield Trailcutter RTs

My 2 cents worth

If you're gonna stroke it, POWERSTROKE IT!!!

http://www.powerstroke73.homestead.com/

Old 04-23-2001, 02:51 PM
4x4
How old are you clowns? You don't have a clue, the Duramax is a sweet running engine...The Allison is 10X better than the POS 4R100 Ford tranny...Give me a break, "it didn't feel as strong as the PSD I drove 2 years ago?" WTF? like you can remember that...of course the guy that just forked over 40K for the PSD is going to say the DMAX is crap....Both are good engines, but i am sorry the DMAX is the king of the hill right now...that will change in 2003 with the G2 PSD, but that is 2 years away....If he had a problem turing the steering wheel you either had the motor off or he is running 44" inch tires cuz these things turn like a Caddy..

------------------
Sold
99 F250SD Black Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 5inch National Spring lift, 35x15.50 Swampers, 16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpios, Full Billet grill, LIne-X liner, Procomp and Rancho shocks, 40 Series Flowmaster, recalibrated speedo, superchipped,K&N filter,2 JL audio 10's behind rear seat, audio art 6channel amp

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

Old 04-23-2001, 05:17 PM
I have driven both the DMAX and the PSD in the last two weeks and the PSD will kill the DMAX. I pull a 30 foot stock trailor over four hundred miles once a month and I would refuse to do it in anything other than a PSD. The DMAX that I drove was very doggy and it DID turn incrediably hard to low speeds (such as backing a trailor). My vote is the PSD all the way.

------------------
1997 4X4 supercab short box
True dual exhaust
tinted windows
Pioner CD player
soft tonneau cover
Lund bug shield
Oh yeah and a Dixie air horn
Future mods: 285/75/r16's
brush guard
running boards
Stainless steel rocker panel covers
4X4 stickers

Old 04-23-2001, 06:24 PM
Well 4x4 I see you bought a Chevy, not very bright there. Did you even read my post? I said that since it was the first year for both the Duramax and the Allison that they would still have a few bugs to work out. And besides I never said that the 4R100 trannys were flawless. I also never said that I would run one behind a PSD. If you want durability get the HD 6 spd manual (not sure on the model number) or an MV4500, and if you want ease just run the auto if you don't mind putting up with the possibility of tranny problems. Myself I would much rather go with a proven engine and tranny than one fresh off the drawing board. After the durmax and the allison is out there for a few years and they get some more bugs worked out of it could be a really good engine. 4x4 get hooked on phonics and try reading posts before you start runnin your big mouth.

Hey funboy289 I am having a trail ride at 600 acres ORV park on may 19-20th, feel like coming? If not I'm working on getting a bunch of people together from Iowa so we can go and just hang out, would you be interested in that?

[This message has been edited by powerstroke73 (edited 04-23-2001).]

Old 04-23-2001, 08:13 PM
Cool

Hey powerstroke73 I would be intrested in getting together with some of the other Iowa guys. My email address is danielaustin00@yahoo.com. Drop me a line and tell me about what is going on.

------------------
1997 4X4 supercab short box
True dual exhaust
tinted windows
Pioner CD player
soft tonneau cover
Lund bug shield
Oh yeah and a Dixie air horn
Future mods: 285/75/r16's
brush guard
running boards
Stainless steel rocker panel covers
4X4 stickers

Old 04-24-2001, 10:13 AM
4x4
[Myself I would much rather go with a proven engine and tranny than one fresh off the drawing board. [This message has been edited by powerstroke73 (edited 04-23-2001).][/B][/QUOTE]

You gonna preach the same message in 2003 when the new Powerstroke comes out? I doubt it...you ARE driving a 1st model year F150 aren't you? It's funny that all you true blue bloods come back with i would rather drive a proven engine blah blah when you will be the first in line for the G2 PSD and you are currently driving a 1st year Triton....

Funnyboy, is it really a suprise another blue blood would say that the PSD will out do the DMAX? Not really....You see, i have no loyalty's, I buy whatever the best truck is at the moment and that right now is the DMAX...300HP plus the Allison and there is no comparison...The Chevy and Ford both use the same 6sp so there is no difference in the manuals....

If you guys can't turn the wheel you need to lift weights because i can turn it with one finger...

------------------
Sold
99 F250SD Black Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 5inch National Spring lift, 35x15.50 Swampers, 16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpios, Full Billet grill, LIne-X liner, Procomp and Rancho shocks, 40 Series Flowmaster, recalibrated speedo, superchipped,K&N filter,2 JL audio 10's behind rear seat, audio art 6channel amp

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

[This message has been edited by 4x4 (edited 04-24-2001).]

Old 04-24-2001, 10:29 AM
4x4
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by powerstroke73:
Well I'll tell you this, the new Duramax diesels really suck. You have to take into consideration that this is the first year for them, but I still hate them. I've also heard that the new 5spd allison auto trannys that GM was hyping so much are piles of crap too. I think that GM needs to do ALOT more work before they even have a decent attempt at a good truck. Oh, and stephen I've seen a 97 f250 with a PS start after sitting out all night in -20 degree weather without being pluged in. Just remember that on the newer diesels they have made them easier to start in the winter, so the limiting factor will be if they can keep the fuel from geling up on them.

</font>

I need hooked on phonics? This post was nothing but bashing....this post looks like one made by a 16 year old whose daddy drives a powerstroke so he thinks it is the best....

1st sentence -----

Well I'll tell you this, the new Duramax diesels really suck. -----Fromm your vast experience with them? Yeah right

You have to take into consideration that this is the first year for them, but I still hate them. ----statement made with the blue ovals over your eyes, its apparent your a blue blood because you don't even have a reason, you just hate them....

I've also heard that the new 5spd allison auto trannys that GM was hyping so much are piles of crap too. - What have you been smoking? the biggest POS is the 4r100....

------------------
Sold

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

Old 04-24-2001, 01:21 PM
Cool

4X4, For you to have no loyalties and be totally unbiased, you sure did get defensive and start bashing individuals on this topic. What you need to realize is that these are opinions and opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one. Take them for what they're worth, believe them or not the choice is yours, but there is no need to slam anyone because their's is different than yours. I personally do not know a lot about the DMAX except that it's made by Isuzu. The reason I wouldn't buy a Chevy or GMC even if they did out do Ford on all their numbers is because of build quality. Every person that I know including family members and friends that own GM products has multiple problems with their vehicles (the list is too long to start). So, if your going to preach the laurels of the new DMAX, how about finding a Chevy/GMC board to do it on.

------------------
2000 F-150SC 5.4L 4X4ORP
DEEP WEDGEWOOD BLUE
AUTO, 3.55LS, TOW PKG.
RAVIN Z-55 DUAL EXHAUST
CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS,
REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
REAR SLIDER
PREMIUM SOUND w/ CD
RHINO LINER
STATE ISSUED UNIV.OF GA. PLATE.
UGA RECEIVER COVER
UGA LICENSE PLATE(FRONT)

WISH LIST:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP
TINTED WINDOWS
HOOD DEFLECTOR(PAINTED)

A NATIONAL TITLE FOR UGA(FOOTBALL)
Then maybe when I get more money:

3" BODY LIFT KIT
BIGGER TIRES

etc., etc., etc.

Old 04-24-2001, 02:17 PM
4x4
give me a break....i am not preaching nothing. I guess i am preaching because i defended the truck i drive, brutal..i could careless if anyone else ever buys a DMAX if they think they PSD is better....great, fine... its fine to like ford and the PSD, but is it really necessary to put down other trucks just cuz it isn't the one you own? No, thats crazy, the increased competition only makes all of the big three better...

its funny that you see it that i am bashing them and not the other way around....

I could say the same about all my family and friends that drive fords and have problems with them...I guess since Aunt& Uncle J had bad luck with fords i guess that cancels them out for my new truck even though the have more power,etc...again, get real...all of the big three have problems, no doubt about it, but to say you will never drive a Gm because of quality problems, well i guess you need to get a toyota because ford, dodge or gm aren't at the top of the class in that category...

BTW, i sold my 99 Super Duty 2K after Ford replaced the V10 due to catastrophic failure...ford tuff? Quality Job 1? I don't think so...

Even with that being said, I came very close to getting a supercrew...probably in 2003 when the new v6 diesel is put into the crew, i will be back in a ford...

------------------
Sold

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

Old 04-24-2001, 02:28 PM
the allison auto's are breaking the bellhousings - know that for a fact, also heard of head gaskets leaking - just hearing that. Every vehicle has pro's and con's if there was one perfect vehicle that is what we would all be buying and there probably never will be a perfect vehicle, so just buy what you like and if you are happy with that great if not buy something else.

Old 04-24-2001, 03:20 PM
Cool

4X4, I'm not going to get into a pissin' match with you so I'll say my peace and be done with this topic. Naturally there is going to be Chevy/GMC and other brand bashing on here because this is a Ford oriented website (f150online, name should be a clue), I'm sure there are other brand websites where we could find the same things going on with Ford bashing, but I could care less because I don't feel the need to go to one and stand on my soapbox about my OPINION! (theres that word again). The reason I commented about your bashing is because you did it right from the get-go which instigated everyone else doing it. Furthermore, the reason I chose Ford is because of real life experience between me, family and friends. I, nor my family has ever had any trouble with Fords and they have with Chevys so that is why I make my decisions (real life experiences). Maybe I would see things different if I had the trouble you have had, your views are just reversed from mine. Anyway, good luck and I hope your new truck works out for you.

------------------
2000 F-150SC 5.4L 4X4ORP
DEEP WEDGEWOOD BLUE
AUTO, 3.55LS, TOW PKG.
RAVIN Z-55 DUAL EXHAUST
CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS,
REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
REAR SLIDER
PREMIUM SOUND w/ CD
RHINO LINER
STATE ISSUED UNIV.OF GA. PLATE.
UGA RECEIVER COVER
UGA LICENSE PLATE(FRONT)

WISH LIST:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP
TINTED WINDOWS
HOOD DEFLECTOR(PAINTED)

A NATIONAL TITLE FOR UGA(FOOTBALL)
Then maybe when I get more money:

3" BODY LIFT KIT
BIGGER TIRES

etc., etc., etc.

Old 04-24-2001, 03:39 PM
4x4
wemjr, cool we agree to disagree....i am member of this website because

1)I had a ford
2) i almost bought another
3) i will probably buy another in 2 years
4) I have made numerous friends on here

Black offroad 150, please give me a vin# of a truck that has had a allison problem....i know of two minor problems that have occured in the allison, but not in mine....if you have a valid case, post the vin and i'll get my Dmax Ltd. engineer friend to get me some information on the truck...

------------------
Sold

for 2k1 chev crew HD2500

Old 04-24-2001, 03:47 PM
Thumbs up

Excellent, now if I could just use the agree to disagree statement with my girlfriend...

Seriously, I would like to see more feedback on the DMAX the longer you have it because I have a friend that is considering one.

Quick Reply: New GM Duramax--Test Drove My Uncle's