WooHoo Hawaii!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
Honolulu is simply a big US city, nothing special, get out of the city.

I love US history, i could spend weeks in D.C.. However Pearl Habor was not what I was expecting. Maybe you will like it. I mean no disrepect, i can appreciate what happened there, i just wouldnt spend a day there, same for the polynesian center, went there and it just seemed like a tourist attraction.

The most fun we had was on Kauai doing the captain zodiac boat ride. i think they have one on Oahu. That and taking a sailboat excursions and simply driving down the coast line stopping at beaches.

i wouldnt waste time on fine dining or any tours. Truely a place to enjoy the laidback lifestyle and the beauty of nature,

When i go back i will go staight to Maui or Kauai
The quote in bold I really don't agree with. I don't understand how you can be there and not get a proud, eerie, surreal feeling. Seeing the gun turrets above the water level, and just everything. Pearl Harbor for me was one of the best places I visited in Hawaii. I agree that Honolulu is a busy place. But some people like that. More nightlife. I was also on Maui after Honolulu and it was nice being there with the quiet.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 AM
I would recommend the atlantis submarine tour just off of waikiki!

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/

Only if you don't mind being stuck underwater with a bunch of Japanese tourists! hahaha

Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Stealth
Is BRAH Hawaiian?
x2.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 06-07-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by hawaiian boy
BRAH! if your goin' to play tourist with your Hawaiian shirt,white shorts and tennis shoes, fuji camera around your neck and that dumb A** white fishing hat, then i suggest
1.Polynesian cultural center
2.Northshore aka the"Banzai pipeline"
3.Pearl Harbor
4.Pali cliff
5.Diamond Head
6. oh, and for you tourist "LUAU" you know the the pig with an apple stuffed in it's mouth event and ect.

But if like the WAHINE'S that's women in Hawaiian Brah! look no further than your local beaches. but beware only looky the local girls cause they probably belong to some big A** Hawaiian or Samoan like myself, so if you go from looky to try touchy, you will get a local polynesian beat down BRAH! well anyways enjoy youself and MAHALO and ALOHA!
Thats alot of brah's....and no *****, what gives?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 AM
go to Makapu bay for body surfing, if the waves are big enough it is always intertaining. Just love big wave and bikinies.
Honoma Bay has good snorkling but it gets better when you get close the break water.

If they still do it you have to try the shaved ice. The slushy is the new version.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by alomar
Thats alot of brah's....and no *****, what gives?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
not sure if it's still accessible, but the toilet bowl was fun years ago..... http://www.hawaiiweb.com/oahu/sites_...oilet_bowl.htm

Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
The best shave ice is at the Matsumoto store in Haleiwa. Their ice shaver dates back to WW2.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
The USS Arizona memorial is pretty neat. Also hit up Waikiki beach.
Since we'll be working at the Naval Station I'm sure we'll make it over to the memorials.

BRAH! if your goin' to play tourist with your Hawaiian shirt,white shorts and tennis shoes, fuji camera around your neck and that dumb A** white fishing hat
No thanks man, I want to check out the things locals love. I am bringing my camera though!

But if like the WAHINE'S that's women in Hawaiian Brah! look no further than your local beaches. but beware only looky the local girls cause they probably belong to some big A** Hawaiian or Samoan like myself, so if you go from looky to try touchy, you will get a local polynesian beat down BRAH!
We'll probably hit the beaches after work some... it'll be 3 married guys and a single guy so we probably won't be chasing tail while we're there. Where are some good place to go eat and drink?

Originally Posted by FX41
Nice! If I were you and had some time to kill, I would got to Hale'iwa, its North shore, but just a sweet little local beach and town. .... Sky dive out of Dillingham Airfield, they take you out over the ocean, you jump and then land next to the runway, its freakin amazing!
Sounds good, is there any particular place you liked when you went to Hale'iwa?

The skydiving sounds awesome! Can't sky dive within 24 hours of SCUBA diving, so maybe we can do it Friday or Saturday before we fly out.

Originally Posted by glc
The best shave ice is at the Matsumoto store in Haleiwa. Their ice shaver dates back to WW2.
Perfect! It's on the list.

Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
One day it's Amsterdam next day it's Hawaii!!! That's awesome, have fun
Well Amsterdam was for fun, this one's for work. Though I expect it to be fun as well! I've also got a trip to Seattle lined up for next month, another work trip....

Originally Posted by guitarman502
There is a little shrimp shack on a the opposite side of the island from Honolulu. Just ask around, it's got a reputation. WELLLL worth the drive. fresh shrimp (it's a shrimp farm)
Perfect, this is the kinda thing I'm looking for. Any idea what the name might be?

Originally Posted by wackojacko
I would recommend the atlantis submarine tour just off of waikiki!

Only if you don't mind being stuck underwater with a bunch of Japanese tourists! hahaha
That's kinda cool, but we'll be spending enough time underwater as is it.

Originally Posted by silversvt04
go to Makapu bay for body surfing, if the waves are big enough it is always intertaining. Just love big wave and bikinies.
Honoma Bay has good snorkling but it gets better when you get close the break water.

If they still do it you have to try the shaved ice. The slushy is the new version.
We probably won't do much snorkeling, but we might go for a dive one day after work.

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming!

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 06-08-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Hale'iwa is not that big, so basically its just a chill little local town, some good beaches. The drive out there is awesome too. You go through the center of the island its like another world in the middle.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:52 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
When you drive over the center of the island to get to the north shore, stop at the Dole pineapple pavilion. Fresh pineapple juice and fresh cut pineapple to eat. It's just north of Wahiawa on Highway 99. There's nothing like it here - we don't get ripe pineapple like you can get there.

If you want authentic Hawaiian fast food, stop at the Leeward Drive-In in Waipahu. It's on Farrington Highway at Pupukahi St.

For some breathtaking scenery, take H-3 over to Kaneohe. You can come back over Likelike or Pali Highway, or go around Makapuu Point past Koko Head and Hanauma Bay.

My absolute favorite beach on Oahu is Waimea Bay. It can be rough with a dropoff and undertow, don't go out far unless you are a strong swimmer.

It's a shame - my favorite place to drink was the Pearl City Tavern, aka the Monkey Bar. It's no longer there. Another favorite place was the Crow's Nest in Waikiki, but the top draw entertainment (Blue Kangaroo) has retired and one of the 2 guys is no longer alive.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Is there only 2 of us that live out here?

what are you diving on? the Navy Divers at the Naval Station normally do most of the work

anyways,
1. Arizona Memorial...you can still see oil floating up after all these years
2. USS Missouri...wicked big guns up close
3. Old Town Haleiwa...just a cool town in general, and right there at the Pipeline
4. Haunama Bay and the Eastern Coast...awesome cliff driving, and beautiful scenery
5. Downtown Waikiki...go to the beach during the day...and come back for the Party at night
6. Kaneohe Bay...cool relaxed place, awesome bay and swimming
7. North Shore Shark Cage Dives
8. Atlantis Sub Tours...gives civilians a slight glance at what Submarine life is like...Pretty neat to see the stuff @ 105-110 ft down
8. Dole Plantation...ship some home to the Family

sorry for the spelling

Also, some words of caution. So you don't get your *** beat. Hawaii is a small community. Alot of people know damn near everybody...or enough common connections that they're basically family.

Be respectfull and polite. Yes it is the USA...but not exactly
1. Avoid Chinatown after 6 P.M. - Gangs are fighting over turf currently
2. Watch out for the Mahoo - Big underground of queers who like to dress like women and take guys home...don't get drunk alone
3. Don't **** off the Samoans - Great people, but if you anger 1, you've got their entire family beating your ***.
4. There are some areas of the Island you just don't belong unless you are a Local...stay on the paved roads and you'll be fine. Dirt roads can lead to trouble...refer back to #3.
5. 95% of people on the highway and city streets are accidents waiting to happen...drive very very defensively.

Not trying to scare you or anything, but it ain't like driving over the border to the neighboring state. Visiting Hawaii can almost be like going to another country. But you still have all the comforts of home...just slightly twisted.

And you have to try a Fried Rice Omlet (FRO)

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
x2 polynesian cultral center, um, fawk, dunno, I'm from the big island lol. sandy's beach, fawk waikiki... uh... just drive around if ur young and single, just walking would be the best bet for talking to gurls, they're everywhere from what I seen this weekend

Old 06-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Suspended
Moose McGillycuddy's

Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Tylus
2. Watch out for the Mahoo - Big underground of queers who like to dress like women and take guys home...don't get drunk alone
Originally Posted by 26point2
Moose McGillycuddy's
one of the biggest Mahoo hangouts...ask the women you know are 100% to point out the Mahoo

some of them are scary

Quick Reply: WooHoo Hawaii!