Pratt & Whitney Geared Turbofan PurePowerŽ GTF Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012 | 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I found a document from Stanford about the GE-90 (powers the 777) that says,
In mid-November 94, GE conducted the fan bladeout test with the FAA present. The release blade was detonated at a fan speed of 2,485 rpm, 10 rpm over the target, with the engine generating more than 105,000 lb. (466.8 kN) of sea level static (SLS) corrected thrust. The engine mount system performed as designed and the test demonstrated fan blade containment.
The ruggedness of the composite fan blade was successfully demonstrated, and the observed trailing blade damage matched pre-test analysis, verifying the inherent benefits of the composite blade design.
That's the number I was looking for. Thanks!

Looking at this, I assume that GE figured the thing would blow up at 2475 RPM and it went a whole 10 RPM faster. I bet they were proud of that! <G>

So, I would think that an engine of that size would be governed to run around 2k RPM. That's a whole lot slower than I would have imagined. I'd also guess smaller engines would run somewhat faster, but still nowhere near the 6 or 7k RPM I was guessing at.

Old 06-11-2012 | 07:04 AM
"So, I would think that an engine of that size would be governed to run around 2k RPM. That's a whole lot slower than I would have imagined. I'd also guess smaller engines would run somewhat faster, but still nowhere near the 6 or 7k RPM I was guessing at."

+1 That's a whole lotta mass turning at that speed!

Old 06-11-2012 | 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Flagship
Looking at this, I assume that GE figured the thing would blow up at 2475 RPM and it went a whole 10 RPM faster. I bet they were proud of that! <G>
I don't read it that way at all. The blade was DETONATED on purpose. The test was designed to happen at a specific rpm. The actual rpm of the motor was only 10 rpm off of what they iintended. My guess is the 2475 rpm target was probably a typical operarting rpm, and not 'red line'.

No doubt the tips of the fans are moving very fast at that rpm. OTOH, they don't have to change direction like a piston does.

Old 06-11-2012 | 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
I don't read it that way at all. The blade was DETONATED on purpose. The test was designed to happen at a specific rpm. The actual rpm of the motor was only 10 rpm off of what they iintended. My guess is the 2475 rpm target was probably a typical operarting rpm, and not 'red line'.

No doubt the tips of the fans are moving very fast at that rpm. OTOH, they don't have to change direction like a piston does.
^^^This, and remember the test was done on the original version which is rated for 90,000 pounds of thrust not the 105,000 it was running. So the engine was well over its rated maximum and was only 10 RPM off the theoretical value. The fan has a 123" diameter so the blade tips were moving pretty dern fast.

Old 06-11-2012 | 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
Oh. Yeah. That makes sense. Duh!

One of them did!

Old 06-11-2012 | 04:31 PM
I'm not good at math anymore, but with the rpm and the diameter that Wookie posted, it would appear the tips of the blade are rotating at supersonic speeds.

Seeing that it was pushing well past its rated power for that blade test, the big motor probably was pretty close to max rpm, and well above its normal operating rpm.

Hey, I know nothing about jet engines, but a motor with 10' diameter blades pushing over 100,000 lbs of thrust is simply awesome.

Oh, and Raptor's Lycoming is very nice, too.

Old 06-11-2012 | 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
You guys are doing it all wrong.

I can lose a motor or two and not have a problem

Originally Posted by Flagship

So, I would think that an engine of that size would be governed to run around 2k RPM. That's a whole lot slower than I would have imagined.
They are governed quite a bit, but by many more perimeters. The Engine Pressure Ratio being the most important along with EGTs.

Runnin' on the max thrust has a 5min countdown timer to keep 'er from meltin' down to a spinnin' core of a blob.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Pratt & Whitney Geared Turbofan PurePowerŽ GTF Engine