So I think someone got into my truck last night....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010 | 02:16 PM
|
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I think someone got into my truck last night....

I don't remember if I locked it (I usually always do), but when I went out to the truck this morning all the papers I keep in the center console were tossed around and some cash is missing, and all the quarters in the change holder. The rear window was down maybe 6", but I don't think anyone could have opened the doors that way. There's no damage to the doors, windows, locks or anything like that.

Happened sometime between 10:00 last night and this AM. I don't normally carry anything of value, but I had put a fairly large amount of cash in there Friday to take to the bank, but never made there, got sidetracked getting tickets and parking passes for the game.

Just discovered that my friend's keys were in the cup holder of my truck, but they aren't anymore. His car is also unlocked, and he never leaves his car unlocked. Keys are nowhere to be found. The only explanation is that whoever got into my truck took his keys too. Turns out they also got his BlackBerry from his center console along with my briefcase which had my work computer in it, but they left my friend's computer in his car.

Another odd thing I noticed, the clips that hold the seat fabric on have been unclipped on both the drivers and passengers side front seats. Each on one side only, the innermost side. It's like they were looking for something hidden under the seat or something.

I've heard of a few break-ins in the neighborhood, but there aren't any signs of forced entry, so my only guess is I forgot to lock the truck on the one night I really should have.

Dammit.

- NCSU

Old 09-05-2010 | 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, that really sucks. Did you call the cops? Maybe they could dust for finger prints? Good luck finding the bastards that did this.

Old 09-05-2010 | 06:42 PM
Global Moderator &
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
I think if your rear window was down, it may have given access to your power door unlock switch with a long tool. A short pole or similar device would probably reach from there.

And, have you checked the area around the door handles carefully for any small scratches? This is a easy point for a forced entry unless you've installed the Jimi-Jammer protectors in the doors.

- Jack

Old 09-05-2010 | 07:57 PM
Sorry Dude. Load up the XD.

Old 09-05-2010 | 08:51 PM
sucks man.....sorry to hear that.

Old 09-05-2010 | 09:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by UNC Lariat
Dude, that really sucks. Did you call the cops? Maybe they could dust for finger prints? Good luck finding the bastards that did this.
Haven't called the cops yet... I probably will tomorrow though since I should probably file a report for the work computer. The cash is gone and I'll never see it again.

Only thing that will happen is the cops will file a report and it'll add one more so some statistic somewhere. They won't spend time or resources looking for some low life petty thieves.

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I think if your rear window was down, it may have given access to your power door unlock switch with a long tool. A short pole or similar device would probably reach from there.
Maybe, but I doubt it based on what I'm going to say below.

And, have you checked the area around the door handles carefully for any small scratches? This is a easy point for a forced entry unless you've installed the Jimi-Jammer protectors in the doors.

- Jack
I did notice that there are 2 small scratches by the drivers side door handle, on the upper left side. I'm pretty sure they came in the drivers side based on how the papers were scattered into the passenger seat too. I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse... if they actually broke in it makes me think they knew I had something worth taking. The only thing they might have seen through the window would have been my friends keys.

I think I'm planning a whole new set of mods to the truck, Jimi-Jammer protectors will be on that list, along with a Viper alarm system (tied to my iPhone) and a center console safe. I was actually looking at a truck safe just last week.

Originally Posted by 1st4x4
Sorry Dude. Load up the XD.
Everything is replaceable and there was no damage done to the truck so I feel pretty lucky all things considered. But you'd better believe the first thing I did when I realized what happened was go grab the XDm and make sure I had two full magazines.

I'll be watching the parking lot tonight since I don't have to go into work early tomorrow.

I'm also thinking of putting a cheap webcam type thing out the 2nd story windows aimed down at our parking spaces. Have it hooked up to a laptop and have it record images whenever it senses movement.

- NCSU

Old 09-06-2010 | 01:54 AM
Where was your friends car?

Old 09-06-2010 | 08:25 AM
|
Originally Posted by expedition4x4
Where was your friends car?
Parked about 2 spots from my truck.

- NCSU

Old 09-06-2010 | 09:14 AM
It definately sounds like someone that you know or are familar with, or is familar with you.

Old 09-06-2010 | 09:17 AM
Truck of the Month
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Haven't called the cops yet... I probably will tomorrow though since I should probably file a report for the work computer. The cash is gone and I'll never see it again.

Only thing that will happen is the cops will file a report and it'll add one more so some statistic somewhere. They won't spend time or resources looking for some low life petty thieves.

I did notice that there are 2 small scratches by the drivers side door handle, on the upper left side. I'm pretty sure they came in the drivers side based on how the papers were scattered into the passenger seat too. I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse... if they actually broke in it makes me think they knew I had something worth taking. The only thing they might have seen through the window would have been my friends keys.

I think I'm planning a whole new set of mods to the truck, Jimi-Jammer protectors will be on that list, along with a Viper alarm system (tied to my iPhone) and a center console safe. I was actually looking at a truck safe just last week.

Everything is replaceable and there was no damage done to the truck so I feel pretty lucky all things considered. But you'd better believe the first thing I did when I realized what happened was go grab the XDm and make sure I had two full magazines.

I'll be watching the parking lot tonight since I don't have to go into work early tomorrow.

I'm also thinking of putting a cheap webcam type thing out the 2nd story windows aimed down at our parking spaces. Have it hooked up to a laptop and have it record images whenever it senses movement.

- NCSU
we really need a face palm smiley....

Old 09-06-2010 | 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by TysonsLariat
It definately sounds like someone that you know or are familar with, or is familar with you.
Yeah, I'd start eyeballing the friend.

Old 09-06-2010 | 11:21 AM
|
Originally Posted by TysonsLariat
I'd like to doubt that very much. Anyone who knows me knows that if I found someone in my truck, odds are they'd get shot. Plus nobody could have known about the cash as no one I know knew about it, and it wasn't even supposed to be in the truck since I had planned on stopping by the bank that afternoon.

Originally Posted by SafetyDaveG
Yeah, I'd start eyeballing the friend.
I know it wasn't him, if for no other reason, because if he had gone outside that night he would have set off the house alarm.

Odds are the thieves looked in my truck and saw his keys sitting in the cup holder (he left his keys in there b/c he was staying at our place since he wasn't in the best shape to drive home that night anyways). That could have been reason enough to break in, and they got lucky with the cash and my work laptop (which has all kinds of security requirements to start it up so it'll be useless to whoever winds up with it).

It would be easy enough to figure out who's car matched the stolen keys, all they'd have to do is push the unlock button and watch for a car to light up.

Here are the scratches I noticed that morning:

I think I would have noticed if they were there before. That morning is the first time I can recall seeing them.

- NCSU

Old 09-06-2010 | 05:52 PM
id wait a few days i bet the laptop will end up at a local pawn shop. if there is anything on the computer that traces back to your company then a pawnshop should be calling them about it.

Old 09-06-2010 | 10:07 PM
I acccually had something simmilar to this happen to me. I was up in college in wyoming and it was on my truck before I turned it into a show truck. Just happed to leave the apartment to go get some late night snack when i see some guy jabbing something down my divers side window..

I instantlly wanted to snap.. but I knew if I made a scene he would run and I wouldnt get close to him.. so I snuck up behind him and was like.. dude your doing it wrong.. all you have to do is this... proceded to pull the keys from my pocket and unlocked it.. at first he was like wow thats awesome.. then it clicked. and before he could get a step away i nocked him out cold. one hit. I was rather proud of myself.

So i called the cops and they was there in 5 minuites and he was still out. I was starting to worry that i might have serously messed him up. But like all good crooks they hear the sirens and he woke up. so i just pinned him on the ground before he got back up. Cops got him in the back of the car and said that this guy had jacked 20 cars in one week!! So needless to say I wasnt going to get an assualt charge. I guess i did my one good deed for that day!

Last edited by 1fast4.6; 09-06-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2010 | 10:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I acccually had something simmilar to this happen to me. I was up in college in wyoming and it was on my truck before I turned it into a show truck. Just happed to leave the apartment to go get some late night snack when i see some guy jabbing something down my divers side window..

I instantlly wanted to snap.. but I knew if I made a scene he would run and I wouldnt get close to him.. so I snuck up behind him and was like.. dude your doing it wrong.. all you have to do is this... proceded to pull the keys from my pocket and unlocked it.. at first he was like wow thats awesome.. then it clicked. and before he could get a step away i nocked him out cold. one hit. I was rather proud of myself.

So i called the cops and they was there in 5 minuites and he was still out. I was starting to worry that i might have serously messed him up. But like all good crooks they hear the sirens and he woke up. so i just pinned him on the ground before he got back up. Cops got him in the back of the car and said that this guy had jacked 20 cars in one week!! So needless to say I wasnt going to get an assualt charge. I guess i did my one good deed for that day!
I love a story with a happy ending! ha ha
That was very cool thinking with the key thing I wish I could have seen the look on his face (before you smacked him)!!!!!

Quick Reply: So I think someone got into my truck last night....