Need to vent OLD PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me of a story. My wife's uncle is in his late 70's. He's about 5'4" tall, maybe less.

He was at a college football game recently. Leaving the game, some drunk college student was sprinting through the crowd and barrelled into the senior citizen.

Both went flying *** over tea kettle. The old man (who has a mouth on him) was basically, "WTF, mate?"

The kid shoves the senior up against a wall, and the senior bangs his head.

Next thing you know, the kid is surrounded by the crowd, the cops arrive, and he is being taken away in cuffs.

Kid is being charged with FELONY 'Abuse of the Elderly', with about 100 witnesses ready to testify against him. Apparently, the max fine is pretty severe (2-4 years in jail, plus fines). Way more severe punishment than pushing another punk *** kid up against a wall.

Just another thing for the young ones to think about before they go off on a senior.

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 10-01-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My neighbor had a punk harass him in Vegas once. He was about 65 at the time and a Korean War Vet/ Steel mill worker. Told the kid if you wanna fight let's go ahead, But I need to tell you there is no way you come out a winner. If you whup my butt, what are you going to tell your friends-you beat up an old man, But if I whup your butt, what are you going to tell them-I got my azz beat by an old man!

Funny thing is the old guy wouldn't have thought twice about fighting, even at 65, and my money would have been on the old guy!

Moral is you better think twice before you pick on one of us geezers, you just never know.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Anyone who had to do what the OP did to avoid a rear end collision was:
A. Following too close.
B. Not paying attention.
C. All of the above.
There is simply no other explanation. And, had the collision occurred, I know who the police would have found "at fault".

- Jack
Yep.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Contributor

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
OLD PEOPLE NEED TO LERN HOW TO ****ING DRIVE...so i'm going through newton about ready to go through the light by lowes heading towards like shopright or what ever the guy in front of me is just about at the white line to go through the light..the light turns yellow...the mother ****er stomped on his breaks with me just a few car lengths behind him so i stomped on mine..i hit my breaks so hard...the back of my truck wheels and all came off the ****ing ground yes the rear of the truck came off the ground at the same time i turned the wheel to right to avoid him well the truck went side ways and my rear end almost clipped his rear end but thankfully the rear of the truck came down just in time to catch some pavement and skid out of the way..ive never gotten out of the truck to yell at anyone well you bet i did i wanted to pull that old mother ****er out of his truck and give him a real *** wooping ****ing old mother ****ers shouldnt have there damn license i yelled at him so long the light turned red again after it turned green..held up quite a bit of traffic
you were following too closely

this thread is so full of fail I'm about to "call the ambulamps in case you start leaking"

Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Anyone who had to do what the OP did to avoid a rear end collision was:
A. Following too close.
B. Not paying attention.
C. All of the above.
There is simply no other explanation. And, had the collision occurred, I know who the police would have found "at fault".

- Jack
Originally Posted by Raoul
He types like he drives and blames the elderly!

Originally Posted by Zaairman
So, just to recap...

He can do stoppies in his truck. A 80 year old dude can stop a car traveling @ 55 MPH in 30 feet, yet he can't, and the old guy is the bad driver.

I wonder if the old driver can whip a donut in his car without snapping off a rear wheel?
Originally Posted by tarajerame
you were following too closely

this thread is so full of fail I'm about to "call the ambulamps in case you start leaking"
All true.

I'm 19 and have my class B cdl. This reckless crap is the kind of stuff I see when I drive my bus. It's dangerous and totally preventable. Following distance is crucial. You were wrong and need to learn from this. Most drivers I see on the job or in my truck shouldn't have their license. We all make mistakes from time to time, but this should be something to make you change your driving style.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
All true.

I'm 19 and have my class B cdl. This reckless crap is the kind of stuff I see when I drive my bus. It's dangerous and totally preventable. Following distance is crucial. You were wrong and need to learn from this. Most drivers I see on the job or in my truck shouldn't have their license. We all make mistakes from time to time, but this should be something to make you change your driving style.
Good job at the CDL, Maybe everyone taking a driving test should have to drive a heavy commercial vehicle that doesn't stop on a dime...with the driver's seat on the bumper. Then maybe people would learn proper following or "survival of the fittest" will take effect.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 AM

You got it. My first vehicle was a 2000 Dodge 3500 15 passenger van with the 5.9 . I learned on it for a year and a half before my license and then legally owned it for 8 months (it was my dad's shop van). That was one of the best starting points and made me know how hard the vehicles are to stop. It's like the people that think I'm gonna turn a bus onto a narrow two lane street with them in the other lane waiting at the stop sign and waving me on. Idiots!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Haha I have to admit there were a few times I wasn't paying attention and did stuff like that. Or getting in the turning apex of a rig with a long gravel trailer. I've also done that once or twice.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Yeah once in a while everyone is in their own little world. Doing it often... well that requires a swift kick in the butt

Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman

I wonder if the old driver can whip a donut in his car without snapping off a rear wheel?

And my dad is one of the Old guys you see yelling at the young guys in the middle of an intersection.Im 19 and a big guy at 6'5'' and I wouldnt dare take on my 53 YO father. Lol. He would kick my *** up and down the street. He was a green beret and did special forces missions in vietnam/post vietnam.

Last edited by W.L.B; 10-01-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I kind of agree with the op, depending on the time of day.

Driving (for me) from home-work-home is a chore.

The traffic is jammed packed, and if you leave space (like some one else said) then another car/truck will just squeeze in that spot.

Example.

yesterday, I was going home. I was behind a 90's model ford ranger in the left lane, passing a line of slower cars in the right lane, and a few large trucks.

A silver mustang (v-6) gets RIGHT on top of me, (we are not even doing the speed limit f.y.i) This guy is so close I bet he is about 2' from my hitch step, I can tell you that he was wearing a brown dress jacket, black tie and white shirt, has short black hair and he had his drivers window down.

Well, this guy is tailgating me, so I speed up hoping to persuade the ranger in front of me to speed up (at least to the speed limit) or get over when he can.

So now, here I am with a mustang up my ***, my close to a ranger and a line of traffic on my right. Behind the mustang some other car and a few more behind it.

Would it really have been so hard for the guy to at LEAST drive the speed limit?

So we get a little room and a open spot on the right, the mustang squeezes by me and goes on under and past the light.

The guy in front of me acts like he is going to go on (we are right on top of the light) makes it HALF way in the intersection and Friggin STOPS!

W.T.F?

Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by MUD DIGGER
OLD PEOPLE NEED TO LERN HOW TO ****ING DRIVE...so i'm going through newton about ready to go through the light by lowes heading towards like shopright or what ever the guy in front of me is just about at the white line to go through the light..the light turns yellow...the mother ****er stomped on his breaks with me just a few car lengths behind him so i stomped on mine..i hit my breaks so hard...the back of my truck wheels and all came off the ****ing ground yes the rear of the truck came off the ground at the same time i turned the wheel to right to avoid him well the truck went side ways and my rear end almost clipped his rear end but thankfully the rear of the truck came down just in time to catch some pavement and skid out of the way..ive never gotten out of the truck to yell at anyone well you bet i did i wanted to pull that old mother ****er out of his truck and give him a real *** wooping ****ing old mother ****ers shouldnt have there damn license i yelled at him so long the light turned red again after it turned green..held up quite a bit of traffic

I have to agree with you 100% older people need to take a retest to drive, i see too many on the road that do not remember how.. or even what the speed limit is...

you guys that are saying he followed him too closely I am sorry you might be wrong.. this happend to me before and I was 4 cars lengths behind, maybe 5, (i keep my distance). I was about to go through a stop light and it was still green. as soon as it turned yellow the guy stomped on his brakes and stopped right under the light, the speed limit was 55 and that is what i was doing.

anyways yeah continue with the thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by 79f150
I have to agree with you 100% older people need to take a retest to drive, i see too many on the road that do not remember how.. or even what the speed limit is...

you guys that are saying he followed him too closely I am sorry you might be wrong.. this happend to me before and I was 4 cars lengths behind, maybe 5, (i keep my distance). I was about to go through a stop light and it was still green. as soon as it turned yellow the guy stomped on his brakes and stopped right under the light, the speed limit was 55 and that is what i was doing.

anyways yeah continue with the thread
He was following to close there are no if and's or buts about it, if you cant stop in time to keep from hitting the vehicle in front of you or having to whip it into the other lane to keep from hitting him then you are to close. It doesn't matter what the vehicle in front of you does you need to be far enough back that you can stop.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Titan357
Well, this guy is tailgating me, so I speed up hoping to persuade the ranger in front of me to speed up (at least to the speed limit) or get over when he can.
Every driver education/training class I have ever taken (high school, US Armed Forces Europe (USAFE) standard, and USAFE security force) says this is the absolute wrong thing to do.

The reasoning is simple. You just put yourself at the mercy of the guy IN FRONT of you as well as the guy behind. If anything, you want to increase your following distance so that you can slow down even more gradually to prevent the Mustang from crawling up your ****.

Obviously I wasn't there, but maybe the Ranger was driving slowly because he was worried about a vehicle pulling out from the right lane? Just a thought.

Okay, the thread is officially hijacked!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Every driver education/training class I have ever taken (high school, US Armed Forces Europe (USAFE) standard, and USAFE security force) says this is the absolute wrong thing to do.

The reasoning is simple. You just put yourself at the mercy of the guy IN FRONT of you as well as the guy behind. If anything, you want to increase your following distance so that you can slow down even more gradually to prevent the Mustang from crawling up your ****.

Obviously I wasn't there, but maybe the Ranger was driving slowly because he was worried about a vehicle pulling out from the right lane? Just a thought.

Okay, the thread is officially hijacked!

Agreed......

Quick Reply: Need to vent OLD PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE