Need to vent OLD PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010 | 12:04 PM
Global Moderator &
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Every driver education/training class I have ever taken (high school, US Armed Forces Europe (USAFE) standard, and USAFE security force) says this is the absolute wrong thing to do.

The reasoning is simple. You just put yourself at the mercy of the guy IN FRONT of you as well as the guy behind. If anything, you want to increase your following distance so that you can slow down even more gradually to prevent the Mustang from crawling up your ****.

Obviously I wasn't there, but maybe the Ranger was driving slowly because he was worried about a vehicle pulling out from the right lane? Just a thought.

Okay, the thread is officially hijacked!

Correct! If someone cuts in front of you, so what? It's going to make you what, 2 seconds late at your destination? If you rear-end someone, you're going to be VERY late to your destination, and, probably out considerable money too.

Last time I was rear-ended, I was 4 hours late getting home, and my Wife had to pick me up. I never much cared for my vehicle afterwards either.

Have I been in other accidents? Yep, I was rear-ended twice. Both times by young drivers. My Wife has been rear-ended too, also by a young driver.

I DID go off the road once, in the rain on a curve - I was young then.

I'm not saying all young drivers are dangerous, but there IS a reason the insurance rates for them are high, as Longshot correctly pointed out. The reason is known as judgment. Please read the Colin Powell quote that shotgunz uses in his sig to learn how you get that.

Are old drivers dangerous? Eventually, yes. But, they tend to compensate rather well for their slowing reflexes and other infirmities.

- Jack

Old 10-01-2010 | 12:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgunz
Every driver education/training class I have ever taken (high school, US Armed Forces Europe (USAFE) standard, and USAFE security force) says this is the absolute wrong thing to do.

The reasoning is simple. You just put yourself at the mercy of the guy IN FRONT of you as well as the guy behind. If anything, you want to increase your following distance so that you can slow down even more gradually to prevent the Mustang from crawling up your ****.

Obviously I wasn't there, but maybe the Ranger was driving slowly because he was worried about a vehicle pulling out from the right lane? Just a thought.

Okay, the thread is officially hijacked!

I don't know, besides the light controlled intersection, and the truck he was coming up on there is no other way a car would have gotten over into his lane.

I am dead serious when I say this, that mustang could NOT have gotten any closer to my truck, period. I really didn't have many options, even if I slowed down I had no place to change lanes, and I HATE getting stuck next to a car/truck. More so if its a 18 wheeler.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of "forgive" in me, but the one thing I can NOT stand is some one who is not even doing the speed limit, holding people up in any lane.

Yesterday was a bad day going home for me, I had a lady in a silver eclipse start out on the other side of the road, cross two lanes and into the middle of the highway, and kept on coming. Before I got near that ranger.

she was about 1/2 foot from catching my rear tire, she never even touched the brakes went across all four lanes to get to a gas station.

The worst time I have ever raged, and thinking back it was stupid but oh well.

For 5 miles (I counted markers) I was stuck in the left lane, behind four other cars doing 45-50 Mph in a 55. In the right lane a line of cars doing about the same.

in front a old truck, all rusted out and falling apart in the left lane next to some little red car. There was that truck and three other cars then me, and about -4-5 behind me.

A similar amount in the right lane.

After five miles I knew there was a stretch of the road where there was no turning lanes and no signs in the middle of the highway.
South. Lane-lane//middle\\lane-lane. North

Was this stupid? Yes.
Was it wrong, yes.
Do I regret it? no but it was silly.

I passed every one of them in the middle because I just could not stand it anymore.

I had (once again) some little car trying to drive under me, blocked in on the right and no room between me and the car in front of me.

I was afraid if I slowed down the car behind me would hit me (and the car behind it and so on) No spot to change lanes, and I just could not take it any more.

Like I said, normally I am calm and its no big deal, I get there when I get there. I just cant stand getting boxed in or people who wont drive the speed limit or pass and get over.

Everyone gets in bad situations, but its how you handle it. In the above example I did a bad job of handling it, but after I passed them all in the middle they sped up and the group broke up.

I am just lucky I didn't wreck or cause a wreck.

But, as far as bad drivers, I have FAR more trouble with women (of any age) driving and talking, or fixing their hair or whatever.

Ha, I even had some woman in a volvo talking on her phone speeding up and slowing down but never quite passing the car in the right lane.

Eventually I (wrongly so) tailgated her and she got off her phone and threw her arms up at me looking her her mirror.
I made a (nicely as I could) motion for her to "go on" kinda like a shewing arm motion and she sped up, got over and slowed back down talking her her phone again.

LESS TALKING, MORE DRIVING!

Old 10-01-2010 | 12:28 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to brag, and I am most assuredly not proud of some of the things I have done, I am just comparing stories.

I have done a lot of stupid things, and some times I make the wrong choice, but thats life.

Old 10-01-2010 | 12:33 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
He was tailgating, no doubt about it...

Old 10-01-2010 | 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Raoul
He was tailgating, no doubt about it...

Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 10-01-2010 | 12:38 PM
While I don't agree with the incident the OP posted about, I completely agree that old drivers should be retested after a certain age. For those that think its "selfish" to take an elderly person's license that can't pass a driving test are stupid. I have read too many stories on bike forums where old people have pulled out in front of bikes causing serious injuries or worse. My father broke his back years ago because some old driver that could barely see pulled out in front of him while he was on his bike. I'm not even going to mention all the old drivers that run through establishments because they forgot to put their car in park...

Old 10-01-2010 | 12:41 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Titan357
Pics or it didn't happen.
Pics?

I got your pics right here,....sonny!

Old 10-01-2010 | 01:06 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
the one thing I can NOT stand is some one who is not even doing the speed limit, holding people up in any lane.
I think you are forgetting one VERY important concept - the speed limit is MAXIMUM allowed speed, not MINIMUM!!!! Yes, it's rude to drive under the limit in a "passing" lane, but it is NOT illegal! However, it *IS* illegal to drive OVER the speed limit in *ANY* lane.

Old 10-01-2010 | 01:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
We had an overturned tanker on the interstate this morning, traffic backed up for miles in both directions, Hazmat on the scene.
Then I hear on the radio the tanker was carrying 40,000 gallons of vegetable oil.
Which explains why the hazmat guys kept slipping and falling on their butts like a Benny Hill skit.

I'm creeping along in traffic, wondering why in the world they would transfer vegetable oil in bulk like that when I spot another truck hauling what had to be the world's largest frying pan!
Must have been a young trucker! And yes 40k gallons would be a little overweight. Maybe the diesel burner's 250 and 350's could burn a little veggie oil. I still drive a lot every day and the worst are those who bulls--t on their cellphones while driving. All ages and color's they're all bad.

Old 10-01-2010 | 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
He was following to close there are no if and's or buts about it, if you cant stop in time to keep from hitting the vehicle in front of you or having to whip it into the other lane to keep from hitting him then you are to close. It doesn't matter what the vehicle in front of you does you need to be far enough back that you can stop.
I am sorry but you are wrong on this. no matter what, no one was there. it is different in any situation and in mine I was clearly 5 car lengths behind, there were skid marks left to back me up.. and yes i know skid marks.. ( i was going 55) remember that.

Old 10-01-2010 | 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by glc
I think you are forgetting one VERY important concept - the speed limit is MAXIMUM allowed speed, not MINIMUM!!!! Yes, it's rude to drive under the limit in a "passing" lane, but it is NOT illegal! However, it *IS* illegal to drive OVER the speed limit in *ANY* lane.

I never said anything about legality of driving or not driving at the speed limit.

lots of People do illegal things every day and never notice or know.

Old 10-01-2010 | 01:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 10-01-2010 | 01:55 PM
Announcer: "Bud Light presents Real Men of Genius"

Background Singer: "Real Men of Genius"

Announcer: "Today we salute you, Mr. Road Rage Who Can Defy the Laws of Physics and Intimidates the Elderly Guy"

Background Singer: "Mr. Road Rage Who Can Defy the Laws of Physics and Intimidates the Elderly Guy"

Announcer: "Driving on the public highways and byways requires an awareness of everything happening around you. It requires you to drive defensively and to be as safe as possible . . . except for you, because you're awesome and the rules of the road don't apply to you."

Background Singer: "It's all about me."

Announcer: "In fact, you're so awesome even the rules of physics don't apply to you because somehow, in spite of Newton's Laws of Motion, you did a stoppie in a pickup truck while traveling only 50 something miles an hour, and then, while the back end was airborne somehow managed to turn the vehicle."

Background Singer: "Mathematics is overrated!"

Announcer: "And even though your claims of extraordinary breaking prowess seem like hyperbole. . . "

Background Singer: "I stopped from light speed"

Announcer: "You weren't content with that so you decided to threaten an elderly person."

Background Singer: "Look out, here I come!"

Announcer: "And in an awesome display of coolness you intimidated an 80 year old man and held up traffic through an entire light cycle to do it."

Background Singer: "I'm cooler than Steven Seagal!"

Announcer: "And then went and bragged about it on a truck forum. "

Background Singer: "Hey, look at me!"

Announcer: "With this one display of anger management problems and poor driving skills you have single handedly re-affirmed the whole Guido-Gangsta-Jersey Shore-Wiseguy stereotype that New Jerseyites have been trying to shake for decades."

Background Singer (In stereotypical Jersey accent): "Yo, waddaya gonna do about it?"

Announcer: "You probably think Snookie is hot."

Background Singer: "I wanna tap me some of that."

Announcer: "So grab a Bud Light Mr. "I need to pick on old people to re-affirm my virility", and do it quick because with your personality traits it means you're probably going to end up in prison before the age of twenty-five, and they won't have beer there."

Background Singer: "Mr. Road Rage Who Can Defy the Laws of Physics and Intimidates the Elderly Guy."

Announcer:"Bud Light Beer, Anheuser-Busch, Saint Louis, Missouri."

Last edited by kobiashi; 10-01-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2010 | 01:55 PM
since there is a minimum driving age there should be a maximum

Old 10-01-2010 | 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by kobiashi
Announcer: "Bud Light presents Real Men of Genius"

Background Singer: "Real Men of Genius"

Announcer: "Today we salute you, Mr. Road Rage Who Can Defy the Laws of Physics and Intimidates the Elderly Guy"

Background Singer: "Mr. Road Rage Who Can Defy the Laws of Physics and Intimidates the Elderly Guy"

Announcer: "Driving on the public highways and byways requires an awareness of everything happening around you. It requires you to drive defensively and to be as safe as possible . . . except for you, because you're awesome and the rules of the road don't apply to you."

Background Singer: "It's all about me."

Announcer: "In fact, you're so awesome even the rules of physics don't apply to you because somehow, in spite of Newton's Laws of Motion, you did a stoppie in a pickup truck while traveling only 50 something miles an hour, and then, while the back end was airborne somehow managed to turn the vehicle."

Background Singer: "Mathematics is overrated!"

Announcer: "And even though your claims of extraordinary breaking prowess seem like hyperbole. . . "

Background Singer: "I stopped from light speed"

Announcer: "You weren't content with that so you decided to threaten an elderly person."

Background Singer: "Look out, here I come!"

Announcer: "And in an awesome display of coolness you intimidated an 80 year old man and held up traffic through an entire light cycle to do it."

Background Singer: "I'm cooler than Steven Seagal!"

Announcer: "And then went and bragged about it on a truck forum. "

Background Singer: "Hey, look at me!"

Announcer: "With this one display of anger management problems and poor driving skills you have single handedly re-affirmed the whole Guido-Gangsta-Jersey Shore-Wiseguy stereotype that New Jerseyites have been trying to shake for decades."

Background Singer: (In stereotypical Jersey accent) "Yo, waddaya gonna do about it?"

Announcer: "You probably think Snookie is hot."

Background Singer: "I wanna tap me some of that."

Announcer: "So grab a Bud Light Mr. "I need to pick on old people to re-affirm my virility", and do it quick because with your personality traits it means you're probably going to end up in prison before the age of twenty-five, and they won't have beer there."

Background Singer: "Mr. Road Rage Who Can Defy the Laws of Physics and Intimidates the Elderly Guy."

Announcer:"Bud Light Beer, Anheuser-Busch, Saint Louis, Missouri."

Quick Reply: Need to vent OLD PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE