Family Rides, What is your minivan experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010 | 03:39 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Rides, What is your minivan experience?

Hi strangers! Been away from the forum for some time as and active user, but still lurk in from time to time. And I'm in need of some advice here regarding a vehicle purchase.

With the growth of our family (3 kids + 1 due next summer), we've decided the Explorer just isn't going to suffice any more. As it is now, it is very difficult to take any kind of overnight trip with the passengers and required luggage. I've even removed all but the middle seat in the second row to accommodate all this.

So we are on the search for a used minivan under $17,000.

I've narrowed the search down to Honda, Toyota, and Dodge/Chrysler.

I was all gung-ho for the the 2008+ Dodge, but have all but ceased that search after reading many concerns over short brake life and overall quality compared to the imports. The previous generation of Dodge...meh, but could be persuaded

I'm not big on the dash layout of the imports, but can probably get over that. We are talking functionality and reliability after all. In our price range the Toys and Hondas have 50,000+ miles, and some very attractive $ at 70,000 (mostly 2005-2007 MY). My concern obviously is the reliability at those miles. In the past, both companies have been known for longevity but I am admittedly unfamiliar with recent generations.

What advice do any of you have for me? Am I totally gun shy over Dodge? Am I walking a fine line with high mileage imports? What say you?

Old 10-11-2010 | 04:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Auction off a kid, might be cheaper just jesting.

I have a question though, have you looked into the 3/4 ton suv's like the excursion?

Edit

Heres why I ask.
http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/1945686888.html

Old 10-11-2010 | 05:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
We've had two Chrysler mini vans, both duds. Not reliable, not well built.
We've had 4 Honda Odysseys since around 1996. My wife now drives a 2008. We average about 60-80,000 miles then sell it and buy a new one. I would not be afraid to drive any of the one's we've sold. We lost a transmission in the 99 Odyssey. It had 55,000 miles on it. The service dept. told us Honda would spring for the replacement tranny but we would have to foot the 500 dollar installation cost. I paid the 500 only to get a check for 500 as reimbursement 4 months later. They sent a note saying it was Honda's policy to stand behind their major components and although well past the warranty they didn't think I should have to pay anything for the replacement.

Honda and Toyota are a step above the Chrysler products, in my opinion. I'm sure others will have differing experiences.

I'm definitely a Ford man, but my Screw's roof paint has been flaking and peeling since the 50,000 mile service. Ford told me they couldn't do anything about it under warranty. If I'd caught it before the 36,000 they would have repainted the roof for free.

Compare that attitude with Honda's attitude.

Old 10-11-2010 | 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Dodge mini vans for delivery cars. I use dodge because Ford quit making anything to fit my needs.
My most recent is an 09 Grand caravan. We always buy the wagons over a utility van because of the windows in the cargo area. The Dodge vans have always been very good all around vans. I have never had an emission problem with a dodge. That I can't say about the old Aerostars. I have 3 vans each gets about 50K a year. With normal maintenance all we have to do is tires, brakes and wipers.
The newest 09 did have a relay stick once recently which caused the horns, wiper, and flashers to come on and not go off. Then the engine wouldn't die when the key was turned off. I just started pulling relays until it died. then replaced the relay that was over heated, and haven't had a problem since.

There has recently been a recall on the sliding door wiring on some models, but mine didn't fall into that category.

I'll buy another one next year. The current minivans ford is making aren't long enough to suit our needs.

Old 10-11-2010 | 06:07 PM
|
Originally Posted by Klitch
Auction off a kid, might be cheaper just jesting.

I have a question though, have you looked into the 3/4 ton suv's like the excursion?

Edit

Heres why I ask.
http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/1945686888.html

Room to spare? Yes! Unfortunately half the problem with the Explorer is access to the third row seat with child car seats mounted on the 2nd row. Very much the same problem with any 4 door SUV.

Old 10-11-2010 | 06:10 PM
|
Originally Posted by Tumba
I use Dodge mini vans for delivery cars. I use dodge because Ford quit making anything to fit my needs.
My most recent is an 09 Grand caravan.
How many miles have you racked up on the Caravan? Being a delivery van I assume it sees a lot of stop and go. How has it held up mechanically?

Old 10-11-2010 | 06:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
I've had very good luck with Ford Windstars... we got like 200k out of two of them with the trusty ol'e 3.8l v6. They were practically bullet proof.

Too bad they don't make them no more.

Old 10-11-2010 | 06:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KSUWildcat

Room to spare? Yes! Unfortunately half the problem with the Explorer is access to the third row seat with child car seats mounted on the 2nd row. Very much the same problem with any 4 door SUV.
taking it that your kids are still under 8? or at least too small to just use a booster which are super fast to put in and out?

Old 10-11-2010 | 06:53 PM
We have a 2007 Honda Odyssey. Good luck finding a used one, they don't exist around here. We checked out the Chrysler products, but man they felt cumbersome and nowhere near as well put together as the Honda. I like the Odyssey alot.

Old 10-11-2010 | 06:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by Klitch
taking it that your kids are still under 8? or at least too small to just use a booster which are super fast to put in and out?
We have 4, 3, and 10 months old. So yes, all are still in 5-point seats and will be in the foreseeable future...I can't wait until booster seats

Old 10-11-2010 | 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I've had very good luck with Ford Windstars... we got like 200k out of two of them with the trusty ol'e 3.8l v6. They were practically bullet proof.

Too bad they don't make them no more.
a friend of mine's mom has a 1998 winstar with 3.0 and it has 328k on it right now, still runs just fine

Old 10-11-2010 | 07:24 PM
Never had a mini-van, but wife wants one for her next vehicle.

FIWW, everyone I've talked to with a Honda Odyssey loves it. This includes the wives who drive them and the husbands who have to pay to keep 'em running.

Old 10-11-2010 | 07:42 PM
We had a Ford Freestar and it was decent. The third row. Seating is still not ideal in minivans though. The third row is still small and not easily accessible. I bought an OBS Expy that is just as accessible as the minivan and it holds more cargo (esp I'd you got a newer EL) and is way better on a trip than a van.

Youi can get 3 child seats across in an Expy.

We had a rental Grand Caravan and it was junk @ 8000 miles. Had to call Enterprise to rescue us. The motors and trannies are junk. Not too sure on the imports.

Old 10-11-2010 | 09:04 PM
Suspended
Why isn't Ford a consideration?

Mini-Van's in general are cheap. You should be able to by a nice, clean, 2 year old, low mileage mini-van for no more then $10,000.

Old 10-11-2010 | 09:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Quick Reply: Family Rides, What is your minivan experience?