Photography

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whatever works for you man, i need to get me a good watermark as well

what program(s) do you use to edit your pictures with?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I really like the effect/look of the dripping. The button makes it a little more elegant & visible tho. Might jus use a black and a white version of #1.

When I do edit my pictures I just use GIMP. It's an awesome free program. I don't like to adulter images very much so I've never used PS on any of my pics

Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdimeroller
very nice sir!

I almost transferred to georgia southern for the fall..
Should have, it's a great school!

Originally Posted by pgh_medic
Jekyll Island?

I was just there last week!

Correct! It was on Driftwood Beach. Nice pic too!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
Correct! It was on Driftwood Beach. Nice pic too!

Nice! I took a few pics there as well, havent uploaded them to a host yet. I love Jekyll. My wife and I eloped there 6 years ago. Since then we now have 2 kids and we packed them up and took a trip down for a week. Of course we timed it right on the tail of Beryl. Figures the only damage was to the beach access pier at the villa we were staying at (Villas by the Sea). Fortunately the rest of the week was nice weather.

Its pretty much impossible to take a bad picture there. Unfortunately for me with a 2 1/2 year old and an 8 month old you dont get much photo time. Maybe in a few more years once the kids get older i'll get more play time.

What happened to the Jekyll Ocean Resort? Looks like it is closed down? I guess the economy hit it, any plans on it re-opening? I was nont impressed with our villa, will NOT be staying there again, plus that part of the beach sucks, the tide comes in way too early. We have stayed at the Jekyll Club before, but not being able to walk out ont othe beach is a must now that we have kids. Any suggestions on places to stay for a family of 4?

Last edited by pgh_medic; 06-05-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
Nice! I took a few pics there as well, havent uploaded them to a host yet. I love Jekyll. My wife and I eloped there 6 years ago. Since then we now have 2 kids and we packed them up and took a trip down for a week. Of course we timed it right on the tail of Beryl. Figures the only damage was to the beach access pier at the villa we were staying at (Villas by the Sea). Fortunately the rest of the week was nice weather.

Its pretty much impossible to take a bad picture there. Unfortunately for me with a 2 1/2 year old and an 8 month old you dont get much photo time. Maybe in a few more years once the kids get older i'll get more play time.

What happened to the Jekyll Ocean Resort? Looks like it is closed down? I guess the economy hit it, any plans on it re-opening? I was nont impressed with our villa, will NOT be staying there again, plus that part of the beach sucks, the tide comes in way too early. We have stayed at the Jekyll Club before, but not being able to walk out ont othe beach is a must now that we have kids. Any suggestions on places to stay for a family of 4?
Be sure and post them up when you get them uploaded.

Last I heard was that the Resort was closing as a hotel and was supposed to be turned into condos. I'm not sure what ever happened to it though.

I can't really recommend anywhere to stay, as the last time I stayed on Jekyll was when I was in college and just picked the cheapest place I could find. We had to deal with the high tide/no beach as well, and from what I could see, that is an issue down the majority of the beaches.

Saint Simons is right there next to Jekyll (you can see it from the beach) and it has larger beaches. Only downside to it is that it's a little more busy than Jekyll.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
Should have, it's a great school!
so I've heard, I'm at ASU but they don't have an engineering program. GSU is closer than GT, but still too far for me. Looks like I'll end up goin to USC

Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 AM
went out to the strip tonight, shot my first video with the cam. BEST RACE OF THE NIGHT!!

pics on the way

Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 AM
were a lotta cars, but i'll only post up a few stangs

turbo'd fox

so simple

twin turbo'd

ok, 1 chebby cuz it was beautiful

beautiful color

gave him 1/2 length...& still beat him

gotta love drag stangs, most of em "built ford tough with chevy stuff"

my 1st time shooting with my new camera, wasn't too happy with the way they turned out but I haven't figured out how to operate its features and control the camera the way i could my 10D. it's coming tho!

snapped a simple one of my fox today too

and also attempted my first panoramic (was by hand too), i failed but i'm learning!!

takes time just like learning to use camera features. i remember back when i took everything in Auto mode! i'm no pro now, but i've done a lotta reading & learning to get better. love this hobby!

Last edited by fdimeroller; 06-08-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:51 PM
we need to get you photoshop!
a way better program than gimp, and if not photoshop, at least lightroom so you can edit raw photo's

Old 06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by coobies5
a way better program than gimp, and if not photoshop, at least lightroom so you can edit raw photo's
If you are shooting with Nikon, Capture NX2 works well.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Lightroom is what I was thinking.. Photoshop lets you do all kinda editing which is awesome but that's not photography imo that's graphic design. When you start adding things that weren't in the picture (like when people create a prettier sky) or subtracting things that were, then your image isn't true. The photo editing software canon provides with the camera is alright too. I don't like to do much editing. what do you use? and can you post up a picture pre and post editing? thanks

Last edited by fdimeroller; 06-08-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Lightroom is what I was thinking.. Photoshop lets you do all kinda editing which is awesome but that's not photography imo that's graphic design. When you start adding things that weren't in the picture (like when people create a prettier sky) or subtracting things that were, then your image isn't true. The photo editing software canon provides with the camera is alright too. I don't like to do much editing. what do you use? and can you post up a picture pre and post editing? thanks
i grew up with photoshop (version 6.0 to be exact), but now I use lightroom 3 to edit my raw's, and sometimes photoshop just because i feel more comfortable adjusting the levels there than in lightroom which i am fairly new to. The only editing I really do in photoshop is sometimes get rid of unwanted people, trash, or objects that take away from the image i tried to capture.

Raw (converted to jpeg only)

After

Old 06-08-2012, 04:21 PM
gotcha, I see. jus looks like a sharper image, nice & not heavily edited .. so you adjust what, color contrast & saturations? Lightroom is something I'd like to get in the future. But as this is still jus one of many hobbies for me the time & funds are all divided haha.

the plus I see when I shoot raw is like what I'm guessing you did was kinda adjust the white balance to really tone the picture down some on it's brightness and whiteness haha.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM
gotcha, I see. jus looks like a sharper image, nice & not heavily edited .. so you adjust what, color contrast & saturations? Lightroom is something I'd like to get in the future. But as this is still jus one of many hobbies for me the time & funds are all divided haha.

the plus I see when I shoot raw is like what I'm guessing you did was kinda adjust the white balance to really tone the picture down some on it's brightness and whiteness haha.
You are absolutely correct, I don't like to heavily edit images whatsoever, just adjust levels, brightness, contrast, fill light and crop if i need to. my friend mark edited that picture and this is what he came up with

Old 06-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Elements is a good cheap way to go if money is an issue.

Quick Reply: Photography