2009 - 2014 F-150

Franchi's 2012 Ecoboost build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Franchi's 2012 Ecoboost build thread...

Picked up a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost this past weekend after months of eyeing them, and finally decided to sell my 04 Mustang DD and get this for my everyday vehicle. Went with a fairly stripped down XLT version so I can fully customize it over time to my exact specs. Only requirements was it had to have the Blue Flame color, 6.5 bed, SCREW and tan cloth interior and of course, the ecoboost engine.

My first brand new vehicle and I am loving it so far, very smooth and powerful even in stocker form. My wife drove it home from the dealership when we bought it and I was following in my 06 GT, she hammered the throttle getting on the freeway and did a light bark on the tires and I had to downshift in the Mustang to catch up as she was starting to pull away from me much to her delight. She told me when we got home that once I've finished tuning the Ecoboost, she wants to drag race Blue ( the 06 GT ) with her in the Ecoboost. :thumbup:

Still formulating the build plan right now, going to leave the performance on it stock for a couple months so I can get a good feel for it as stock while I do a few cosmetic things but once I start on the performance aspect, well, lets just say that one of the highest rwhp Ecoboost trucks in the country is the goal.

I'll be doing a variety of before and after testing with dyno pulls as well and documenting it best I can so folks can see real world results of variety performance parts on the truck.

Couple pics from it getting picked up from the dealership.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  76.0 KB

Made an appointment yesterday to get the windows tinted 5% and get a clear bra installed on front end which will be in a week or so. No rock chips allowed on this ride!

I'll update the thread as the build progresses...

Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna follow this one! What are you thinking so far for performance boosts?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Sweet. i'll be watching this one .

Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor
Im leaving it stock for a few months as I wait to see what type of downpipe and offroad mid setups are released. Few companies are working on them now and I am going to dyno tune it myself so waiting to see everypart I want is released. Looking at intakes now, thinking Im gonna go with a closed box design like the Volant. Not sure of what IAT are on the stocker as I haven't measured it yet but closed box are better for lower iats when moving a lot of air which the stock box seems to do.

Dropped it off for tint/clear bra install today, should get it back tomorrow. Going 5% all around with 4 inch strip on front windshield.

Eyeing these rims for it too, just not sure yet.
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  21.4 KB

Did a quick chop job to see what they would look like in 20's...
Stocker

Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  48.0 KB

Maybe thin blue pinstripe? Dunno, was just playing around with it
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  48.2 KB

Also another thing I am waiting on is Stainless Works is a company here in Ohio and they make SUPER high quality exhaust kits and just started designing and R @ D for a turbo back setup so looking to see how that goes as I think be good gains from turbo back kit potentially.

Also looking into fuel systems upgrades as seems primarily once basic intake, tune, exhaust is done, the fuel system is whats preventing much further then that. With Ford announcing the 2015 Mustang will have an Ecoboost, I bet the aftermarket support will shoot through the roof then.

All in all, mapping it out and having fun with it. :-)

Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SCT Franchi
...Also looking into fuel systems upgrades as seems primarily once basic intake, tune, exhaust is done, the fuel system is whats preventing much further then that. With Ford announcing the 2015 Mustang will have an Ecoboost, I bet the aftermarket support will shoot through the roof then...
If I went that far with mine I would be tempted to do like the VW/Audi crowd does and add another set of port injectors. This would also get rid of any carbon buildup that has happened on some other DI motors.

I know a company called Full Race is also working on some turbo hop ups for the EB. I don't think they have released anything yet.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:16 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Great looking truck! Can't wait to see how she turns out!

What rims are those? I say yes to the rims and yes to the pinstripe. Although, I'm a sucker for a well-done, clean pinstripe on wheels. PS it with a red stripe though and see what you think. Maybe even paint the badges black or flame blue with red trim.

Sweet ride, bud!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Wookie
If I went that far with mine I would be tempted to do like the VW/Audi crowd does and add another set of port injectors. This would also get rid of any carbon buildup that has happened on some other DI motors.

I know a company called Full Race is also working on some turbo hop ups for the EB. I don't think they have released anything yet.
Aye, I checked them out actually. Right now it's just a waiting game for a lot of aftermarket support for mods beyond basic bolt ons. But I think the potential is certainly there with the Ecboost, just might take a while.

Originally Posted by DewserB
Great looking truck! Can't wait to see how she turns out!

What rims are those? I say yes to the rims and yes to the pinstripe. Although, I'm a sucker for a well-done, clean pinstripe on wheels. PS it with a red stripe though and see what you think. Maybe even paint the badges black or flame blue with red trim.

Sweet ride, bud!
Thanks! The rims are KMC KM651 Sliders. I plan on blacking out all the emblem bases this weekend and I have custom made overlays on the way, blue flame background with gloss black lettering. Front, rear and sides. I'll post up pics once I get em done.

Quick Reply: Franchi's 2012 Ecoboost build thread...