anyone watch college foorball?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001 | 11:24 PM
Tech vs. A&M brawl

I'm a student at Tech and was at the game -
To be honest I didn't want to tear down the goalpoast. We did lock the Aggies out which was nice but we were also favored to win. So while it was a big win for Tech I think the goalpost teardown should have been saved for another game. From what I hear this (tearing down the goalpoast) is somewhat common after pivotal/important college football games.

By the way it was an A&M fan that hit McKinney not a Tech fan according to the police reports. There was a black male A&M student on the field (either got down on field or pushed down) - he was trying to get back up into the stands. McKinney was pushing him down, prying his fingers off of the bar he was using to pull himself up and into the stands- and when he finally got up there, he punched McKinney in the eye. McKinney was also swinging his binoculars around, using them as a weapon. He was swinging them over his head.

Source: The University Daily newspaper, dated Tues. Nov 6
www.universitydaily.net

This seemed to be a source of confusion and possibly the start (first blow) of the actual fist fight.

Old 11-09-2001 | 12:12 AM
Angry Have you seen this?!

This is ESPN's bowl predictions:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/s/2001/1107/1274882.html

Miami/Florida??? what are they smoking?! And they have the Horns playing the Cotton Bowl. We'll likely finish with just one loss and we go to the Cotton Bowl? And (no offense to anyone here, but...) against Mississippi??? That must be some good crack they're on!

Oh, and here's the link to their version of the Tech story:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2001/1107/1274723.html

I can't hold too low of an opinion of their fans. Hell, my sister's one of them. They really get up for Texas and A&M. Besides.....it's not like there's anything else to do in Lubbock!!!

Old 11-09-2001 | 12:22 PM
hades
probley from there to here the story got changed. on the 10 o'clock news on that sunday i belive thats what the reporter said. of course its news and they want ratings, i stayed and watched that story because they said LATE BREAKING NEWS ON TECH AND A&M GAME. you know how the media is. now my view has changed since you were there and none of the austin news cast was. thanks for the info

Old 11-09-2001 | 03:44 PM
Re: Have you seen this?!

Originally posted by Longhorn4x4
This is ESPN's bowl predictions:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/s/2001/1107/1274882.html

Miami/Florida??? what are they smoking?! And they have the Horns playing the Cotton Bowl. We'll likely finish with just one loss and we go to the Cotton Bowl? And (no offense to anyone here, but...) against Mississippi??? That must be some good crack they're on!

Oh, and here's the link to their version of the Tech story:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2001/1107/1274723.html

I can't hold too low of an opinion of their fans. Hell, my sister's one of them. They really get up for Texas and A&M. Besides.....it's not like there's anything else to do in Lubbock!!!
I wouldn't worry about it too much, lots of football left. Besides who cares what the sports writers say, they have to sign a lifetime contract that says they will put Florda teams over everybody else when they write something. Wishfull thinking on his part, even if NU loses to OU in the championship game then I think one to the two will still go to the rose bowl. Atleast I hope so anyways.

Old 11-09-2001 | 04:07 PM
|
florida and miami? no way, its definitely gonna be miami and nebraska. didint florida lose a game? where are they ranked in the bcs?

Old 11-09-2001 | 05:17 PM
geeze

Those writers are smokin some serious crack.Those bowl predictions are a major stretch of the imagination.I wonder if they(espn writers/analystists) are related to the guys over at sports illustrated that had the Beavers as the #1 team in the country at seasons start.

Yes it is true..........Only two teams from a conference can go to a bcs Bowl game..........It has something to do with the money each conference gets for bowl appearances.........I agree it does give the shaft to some teams, but its just part of the whole messed up bcs system.The big 12 gets punished by this rule and so does then pac 10.I can imagine what the rule makers were thinking........Lets see here, Lets punish the top conferences in the nation.Gimme a Break.

I can't wait to see the miami vs Washinton game. I think it will be a real test for miami and if they can win and not lose any more games this season they definately should be playing for the title.Against who? that's is still undecided, with all these teams having either one loss or no losses.

BTW ......the ducks will beat ucla tomorrow

Last edited by lightningcrashz; 11-10-2001 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2001 | 06:26 PM
with out a doubt HK will winn the league. anybody have anything against that.

Old 11-11-2001 | 02:29 AM
Whew...I thought for a minute today I was gonna have to come in here and eat some serious crow about Miami. What is absolutely hilarious is how now Miami is being questioned..yet when other teams win games like this it's called a gutsy effort,etc. I swear people love to hate Miami. I think todays game woke up Miami..they have been on cruise control all year except for the 1st half of the Penn State game and the Florida State game. I look for a impressive showing against Syracuse this coming week. Go Canes!! and dont make me sweat out another one like today!!!

Old 11-11-2001 | 03:09 AM
Thumbs down Miami, Florida, & Florida St. ALL SUCK

These 3 teams never play a hard schedule, therefore they look (remember the old saying "looks can be decieving") good for their conference. Miami barely got by Boston College. Come on Boston College? Their conferences are a joke compared to the Big 12.
Last year everyone was saying how strong Florida St. was and Oklahoma humiliated them on offense, defense, and special teams and did that in their own back yard! And IF Miami had got in rather than Florida St. last year, Oklahoma would have beat them just as bad.
Use logic and not your school pride. Look at the difficulty of schedules: Miami is rated 92nd most difficult schedule? That deserves a #1 rating?
Thats why they'll get humiliated if they play a true #1 or #2 team, just like Florida St. last year.

Rose Bowl = #1 Nebraska vs. #2 Oklahoma
The other bowls = losers

Old 11-11-2001 | 11:58 AM
how is miami over ou in the bcs

Old 11-11-2001 | 01:09 PM
|
99redVW,
i hear ya man! i was etting REAL nervous those last 2 minutes of the game. you are right about them taking it in cruise control. i go to school with these guys, and their problem is that when they play someone they think they will beat easily, they get ****y and dont play 100%. but after yesterday's scare, trust me, that wont happen again. syracuse, washington and VT should all be GREAT games. as far as the strength of schedule, yea their schedule is weak. BUT you guys have no idea just how good they are because they havent had any serious competition. im not saying that theyre better than nebraska or oklahoma, but they could be. we'll find out soon enough. GO CANES!!!!!

Old 11-11-2001 | 08:38 PM
OK enough!! What you dont realize is how much there strength of schedule is going to go UP after this season ending stretch. I dont want to hear that BIG 12 crap either...that conference has its fair share of patsy's. And while I'm at it..who has Nebraska played besides Oklahoma? Nobody!!! Yeah yeah we are gonna get our asses handed to us in the Rose Bowl arent we? Whatever!! How is Miami over OU in the BCS? Well lets see..Miami is undefeated thats one reason!! I have absolutely had it with all the Miami hating, it is ridiculous. Boston College is pathetic?? They were 6-2 going into the game..thats more than I can say for the record of the mighty Big 12 team Nebraska had trouble with yesterday. I am actually glad all this happened in the BC game..now EVERYONE is gonna become a believer once Miami totally shreds these last 3 teams and shreds somebody in the Rose Bowl. OK meltdown over for now...but now its time to start really firing back on some of you people that claim East Coast bias while you sit there with your Big 12 bias. .

Old 11-11-2001 | 08:42 PM
That nervous thing was contagous

I really thought the ducks blew it and were gonna lose to ucla.Ucla's coach did a terrible job calling plays on that last drive.They picked apart the ducks secondary all day and when it came to crunch time,he decides to run it.

Anybody happen to watch the Beavers- Huskies game? Revenge for last years only loss.How sweet it is!!! That's how they played last year and while this season is bust, look out for them next year.

All in all, I really think this weekends games served as a major wake up call for all of the high ranked teams.Great day of football.

Old 11-11-2001 | 08:53 PM
OH yeah...hey Redneck Ferrari...you might want to check up on your #'s...Miami's schedule is now 66..up from the 90 something you claimed. But of course...its easy for Miami haters to just throw out that 90 something number to make themselves look good, instead of actually checking the updated numbers!!!!

Old 11-11-2001 | 09:00 PM
calm down calm down. there is already enough pissing going on in this thread. aaahhhhh who am i kidding i like it im like an alcoholic sitting at the bar. i really dont care who plays for it all. id just like to see it be the 2 best teams. unlike last year where miami was screwed out of getting it handed to them

Quick Reply: anyone watch college foorball?