DIRECTIONS Norfolk Rally

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2000, 10:43 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation DIRECTIONS Norfolk Rally

I'm getting excited.

Drove the routes, here's the results.

The Sheraton, Marriott and Ford plant are all accessed by I264.

The Sheraton is 2 miles from the Ford plant.
The Marriott is 7 miles from the Ford plant.
(the extra 5 miles is all I264 so, only an extra 5 minutes)

Both motels are 1st Class.
The Sheraton has valet parking in a garage accross the street.
The Marriott has parking outside your window.

All directions are given from I264 and assume you have accessed I264 from either I64 or Route 13.

Directions to Sheraton
Take I264 West
Take Exit 9 (this is a left exit)
Keep left, at first light turn Left.
Sheraton is at the light.

Directions from Sheraton to Ford plant(2 miles total)
Take I264 East
Keep right, take Exit 11
Turn Right onto Campostella Rd (go over bridge)
Turn Left onto Indian River Rd
Turn Left onto Ford Dr
Turn Right at end, Security Gate ahead, Visitor parking on right.

Directions to Courtyard Marriott
Take I264 East
Take Exit 15 A (Newtown Rd)
Turn Left onto Newtown Rd
Turn Right onto Greenwich Rd
Marriott is on Left (5700)

Directions from Marriott to Ford plant (7 miles total)
Take I264 West
Take Exit 11 A (Campostella Rd)
(go over bridge)
Turn Left onto Indian River Rd
Turn left onto Ford Dr
Turn right at end.
Security Gate ahead, Visitor parking on right

I have explained the situation of our group to Ford and they have made one request. Carpool from the motels as much as possible due to very limited visitor parking. If you can't find a space there and end up parking your Ford elsewhere, it may end up on a carcarrier heading for San Antonio.
(cause you know how those Texas boys love our Norfolk trucks)

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat 4x2
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55LS
Dark Toreador Red/Gold
VentShades
Tow Pkg
Line-X

Old 07-10-2000, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Raoul,

Thanks very much for all the help with all the directions!

As a matter of fact, we just confirmed the Sunday brunch, which will be held at "The Jewish Mother", a very well-known and excellent restaurant in Virginia Beach. They were just recently on an A&E TV special. It's a great place, excellent food, good atmosphere.

Raoul, you & I need to touch base on a couple of things, as I am getting the exact times for all the events down right now, so I'll be giving you a call.

Talk to you soon,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Old 07-11-2000, 04:32 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
More Info from the plant:

Rules.
1)Minimum age 12
2)No open toe or open heeled shoes. Must be closed shoes/hard soled. Reebok etc..ok but, not thin rubber bottom is how it was explained to me.
3)No high heels.
4)No short shorts or miniskirts (assemblyline would slow down?)
5)If you do not wear glasses, eye protection will be provided and must be worn at all times in the plant.
6)No cameras.
7)All forklifts used in the plant are electric and are quiet. So, do not walk backwards or stare at the ceiling.

There is some discussion going on between Plant Safety and the Tour Group. Plant Safety wants to put painted footsteps on the floor for visitors to stay in. (when I was there they had two yellow boundry lines about 10 feet apart) The tour people say this will make explaining what's going on difficult to a large group that is strung out. The tour guides are a wealth of information and I for one wouldn't want to be at the end of a line that went, 'he said thus and such, pass it down'. Anyway that proposed change is under discussion.

IMPORTANT !!!
For those of you who may want to use internet maps or traditional gas station maps for directions to the plant, Ford Dr is either marked incorrectly or not marked at all. So use what I posted above.

Old 07-11-2000, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Raoul,

Well, I called the Norfolk Chamber of Commerce and asked about the Ford Truck plant directions.

The nice lady asked me who I was (Dunbarton) and where I lived (NJ) then she told me "You can't get here from there."

So, from the rules on apparel for the tour, cross-dressing is strictly prohibited?

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, HD electrical and cooling, power seat, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 07-12-2000, 05:31 PM
"3)No high heels.
4)No short shorts or miniskirts (assemblyline would slow down?)"

Looks like I will have to do some shopping.
What stores have the 'frumpy' clothes?

Old 07-12-2000, 07:23 PM
JD
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada (originally from Kearny, New Jersey)
Thumbs up

I ate at the Jewish Mother about 10 years ago, great food then. Was hoping to get some time to go to the rally but the job sends me the other way , maybe next time.

------------------
99 F250XLT Supercab LD
5.4L 3.73 LS
White/Silver
Graphite interior
6 CD changer/Captain's Chairs

Old 07-13-2000, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI JD,

The Jewish Mother, or "Jewmo's", as those of us from Virginia Beach call it, still has great food.

As you probably know, they also have live entertainment most nights as well. They even used to have Robin Welsh playing some very nice classical guitar on Sunday's during brunch.

Sorry you're going to miss it,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Old 07-15-2000, 09:01 AM
Cool

We're seriously thinking of camping while we're there. Can anyone give me some info on campgrounds (including any military ones)???

Raoul: Sounds like you've been warning the Ford plant about all us F150online folks. Come now, we're not that roudy of a bunch that the plant has to put painted footprints for us to follow After all most of us can keep our trucks between the lines, we should be able to keep our bodys there too.

Dun, you and Raoul can still pack your skirts and wear them later The rest of us sure don't want to be deprived of that sight

Old 07-15-2000, 08:27 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Smile

Hi Tina, I'll be happy to gather that info for you. If you would let me know you requirements, (Primitive or Cable TV?) and whether you're tenting or your rig size, I can throw out the places that don't qualify.

There are some nice spots in this area.

Old 07-16-2000, 10:08 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks Raoul
We're pulling a 30' travel trailer. We used to do the "tent thing" but my husband's back just doesn't respond well anymore to sleeping on the ground.

Old 07-17-2000, 09:46 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Tina, if your husband is retired military (has a military id) this would be my first choice. http://www-tradoc.monroe.army.mil/mw...%20Rec.htm#The Colonies Travel/RV Park:

I assumed you'd be coming in on the 27th. I called and all they have left is an overflow spot. It is on grass rather than hardtop and has elect/water but not sewer. If you want it, I will be happy to put the deposit down to hold it for you. The downside is you wouldn't be able to camp with any other Rally attendees unless spaces free up AND the other camper(s) had an DOD id.

Newport News Park can handle 30 footers, has elect/water, plenty of spaces. It is 20 miles farther from Norfolk but, 20 miles closer to Dinwiddie.

Fort Story in Virginia Beach has spaces with Water/Elect. I'm not as familiar with them. (757-422-7601) They would be about 20 miles to the plant but, would add 40 miles to Dinwiddie.

There is a State park (First Landing) near Fort Story. http://www.state.va.us/~dcr/parks/1stland.htm#Rates
I couldn't get through on 1-800-933-PARK to get availability for you.

Whatever you decide, I'll be glad to make a deposit to hold it (for a nominal interest rate of one cold beer).

I've worked at Monroe for 17 years and have also stayed at Newport News park numerous times. I could route you in with the best turns for a thirty footer.

If can assist further, just ask.

Old 07-17-2000, 10:26 PM
Tina,the next time your are at an RV dealer, get a Woodalls campground directory. It's like a big phone book. It lists and rates just about all campgrounds in the US and Canada. Just look up the state and town you are going through or to and see whats there.
There are alot of campgrounds in the Virginia Beach area.Here are acouple more you could try.
Virginia Beach Holiday Trav-l-Park 1-800-548-0223
KOA Virginia Beach 757-428-1444
Both are on the same road.

Old 07-18-2000, 08:00 AM
Thumbs up

Raoul: thanks!!!
The military site sounded great until that part about not having the sewer hook-up. I still may go with it though. How close is it to where all the others will be??? The next one I want to check out is the Newsport News site. Do you have a number for them???

Longtruck: yep, I've got a Woodall's but it's only for the south. I guess someone didn't think Virginia was part of the south and left it out!!!

Old 07-18-2000, 08:43 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Hi Tina,
Monroe does have a dumping station, so you could use your holding tank? It has to be the closest to plant and other activities, about 8 miles. You will have to deal with the 'tunnel' but, so do I. I drove by yesterday, and the 'overflow' spots aren't really in the park. They're next to the equipment rental building so, it seems you'd be losing some of the 'camping' feeling in exchange for the convienence of being closer.

Newport News Park also offers a dumping station. (757 888-3333) It's another 18 miles further from Monroe. They have over 200 sites, wooded, offer nature trails for hiking and biking. Some waterfront sites on the resourver. Has paddleboat and canoe rentals.

There is stuff for the kids at either.
A true park at Newport News.
A chance to climb all over the 'Old Fort', at Monroe. (We have a moat)

Old 07-25-2000, 09:05 AM
Thumbs up

Raoul thanks again I believe you've earned that beer

I went ahead and made the reservations for Ft Monroe, they still had an overflow site left. AT $12.50 a night, I just couldn't pass it up!!! They told me that I could "move in" anytime Friday morning. So we'll be traveling Thrus night to get there. Now I'm trying to figure out where the Ford plant is in relation to the camp site. If I had the address of the ford plant, I could just use a map finder site & print it from my computer. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: DIRECTIONS Norfolk Rally