Harley-Davidson

My Truck Died this morning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Truck Died this morning.

Well, the show is tomorrow, and i've got everything done to the truck except for the exterior and engine bay. I was just about to go up to the car wash, even though it was raining to get the dirt off and wash the engine bay so i'd only have to dry it and glass it whenever the rain stopped. I get in the HD to start it up and only hear "click click click" I turned the headlights on, and they were pretty dim. My friggin battery was dead. And since the truck was in the middle of the driveway, and i have a fence on one side and a hill on teh other, i had to push the truck back and forth a few time to get it over to one side, so i could pull my trusy ol' 85 f150 next to it, so i could jump start it. Damn those dubs are a b!tch to turn w/o power steering.

Anyway, my jumper cables are pretty short too, so the trucks were only about 4 inches apart! It took me a couple tries, but i finally got it. This is just my kinda luck. I've got a show 2morrow, its rained every day so far that i've been trying to get the truck ready, and the battery dies the morning before and its pouring rain and i have to jump start it. But i'm thankful that it happened today and not 2morrow, and that it happened in my own driveway. I'm also lucky that my 85's battery died about 2months ago at the gas station, so it had a fresh batter to start up the HD. The original battery on that truck lasted me 11 years! even with the stalling problem in cold weather.

Anyway, i'm assuming it happened cuz this truck only gets driven on short trips, and half of those are at night with the head lights on, and the radio is always on, so the battery doesn't really have enough time to charge up. I can see now why automakers are thinking of putting bigger batteries in cars cuz with the power everything, it doesn't take long to kill one. And the battery didn't even need to charge up that much. It only went to the charge side about a line or two when i started it up, just lost enough to be unable to turn it over.

So getting to the point, i couldn't clean my engine bay today cuz i didn't wanna shut it off up at the car wash so i let it idle while i washed it so the engine was hot and i couldn't wash the bay. I guess i'll have to do what i can with a rag to get the dust off. Just my kinda luck.

Sorry for such a long post, i just had to vent a little. Anybody know of a good site to get a battery charger from? so i can plug the battery in once in a while to charge it up enough so this doesn't happen again? thanks, wish me better luck 2morrow at the show. LoL

Last edited by Harley#356; 06-14-2002 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:55 PM
Thats Sux

That really Sucks. Get an optima Deep Cycle. Excellant battery and looks much better then stock for shows

Old 06-15-2002, 12:32 AM
Just get one of those battery buddies or the emergency jump start battery. My dad uses one to start his 2 cylinder John Deeres' because the batteries always go dead because of minimum use.

Old 06-15-2002, 07:32 AM
Does anybody have a website for those jump start battery things? thanks

well, off to the show
wish me luck

Old 06-15-2002, 07:47 AM
Question Re: My Truck Died this morning.

First of all, good luck at the show tomorrow.

Originally posted by Harley#356

Anyway, my jumper cables are pretty short too, so the trucks were only about 4 inches apart! It took me a couple tries, but i finally got it.
Why didn't you turn the 85 Ford , 180 degrees.
Front end to front end.
Cables will be long enough and you can get out easily.

Old 06-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Thanks F150Europe, i'm hoping i do good today.

Why didn't you turn the 85 Ford , 180 degrees.
Because it was in my drive, and i barely had enough room to get them next to each other like that, and i didn't have enough room to back the 85 in around the HD to face it cuz the HD was there dead in the middle of my drive way. Hard enough to push it over to the side some. But it's all good now. I could have done it that way, but it would have taken me alot longer to keep pushing the HD back and fourth to move it over more. O yeah, and i just used the passenger door on teh old truck to get in and out.

Old 06-15-2002, 08:12 AM
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Harley#356
i'm hoping i do good today.

No doubt about that.
She is a real beauty.
These trucks are just awesome.
There is one 4 miles from me and last week i saw one at my dealership. Awesome.
There is one in my European Trucks Gallery, from Belgium.

Old 06-15-2002, 06:49 PM
got a link to your gallery? thanks

well i didn't win anything today. I'll start another thread to explain that crock of you know what.

Old 06-16-2002, 05:07 AM
Post Link Gallery

Check out "Trucks Europe" on www.fordf150europe.com

Old 06-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My dad got his battery Buddy at Sam's club.

It was really low cost, I was shocked by the cost vs the size of it ( be careful not to get sucked into the low cost only look, it might be the smaller of the ones out there.)

I think I also saw them at Pep Boys ( not sure if Pep Boys is in NJ / PA area depending on how far south you are ).

sms

Old 06-16-2002, 03:47 PM
thanks SSCULLY,

o yeah, there are pepboys around here

Quick Reply: My Truck Died this morning.