Harley-Davidson

Matching Ram Air Hood Scoop Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002 | 10:12 PM
|
Matching Ram Air Hood Scoop Inserts

Just got my matching hood scoop inserts in today from j-jent (all the way across the country from me) Took about 2-3 weeks because he lost his pattern so i had to send my stock screens out to CA for him to start from scratch again, so he took 15 bucks off the price, so it came to 50 total which included shipping for me. Anyway, it looks awsome!!! Finally it all matches, i think i'm actually done modding the front end of the truck on the exterior part! LoL...well maybe i want to do something about that ford emblem...maybe a black one...and maybe a billet antenna... LoL!. ANyway, the inserts are supposed to bolt overtop of the stock hood screens, but even with those painted flat black, you could still see them and the insert stuck out and looked like crap to me. Should have gotten a pic of it. I just don't like it when the rest of the grille's are flush , and this one stuck out, so i had to rig something up. What i did was dig out my old erector set from up in the attic and fabbed up a couple of brackets for each end so the insert sat flush with the edge of the opening of the scoop, and now i don't need that ugly hood screen behind the insert either. Looks a million times better now, and you can only see about a 1/2" of the new brackets behind the inserts now. I still need to paint the brackets black so they don't stand out as much when the hood's open, but i'm waiting until tomorrow cuz i used thread lock on all the bolts and wanted that to set up 1st.

well enough talk....here's the pics!

black things are the old screens that i got rid of

Little detail, but it makes such a huge difference

Last edited by Harley#356; 10-02-2002 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2002 | 10:16 PM
|
here's a pic of my ghetto rig. LoL. it just shows where the screw goes into from the bracket into the hood itself, and where the stud on the back of the insert is, just incase anybody else with a cervini's gets these inserts and wants to flush mount it. (pics were taken from the battery forward)

insert looks a little distorted in this pic, but its jsut a shadow

Old 10-02-2002 | 10:18 PM
|

Love this pic cuz you can still easily see the chrome AF1 behind the inserts. You can also see the bracket up close in this one that i have to paint black. from 5 feet away though you can't see it now.

I'm thinking some kind of like red neon or something at the back of the engine compartment to shine out the scoops?? evil looking! LoL

so what do you guys think?

updated sig pic will come tomorrow probalby

Old 10-02-2002 | 10:22 PM
Looking great!

Old 10-02-2002 | 10:28 PM
Looks great....keep up the good work!

Old 10-02-2002 | 10:35 PM
|
thanks guys!!!

lightning tails will be here on monday!!

then i'm getting a clarion sub after that

still fightin the mod bug LoL!

Old 10-03-2002 | 05:26 AM
Looks great. Small detail that make a big difference.

Did you win the Lottery and did not tell us

Old 10-03-2002 | 03:42 PM
Looks good, Josh! Man you must have found a long lost relative or something

Feel free to spread the wealth, dude

Old 10-03-2002 | 09:42 PM
|
no winning lottery ticket or long lost relative :rolleys: just emptying my bank account Been working alot lately and have a bad case of the mod bug, so i'm trying to cure it the only way i know how...more mods!!. LoL. up next: 8" clarion sub from a fellow HD member! Thanks for all the compliments guys

i'll post pics of the finished brackets later, i painted the brackets black and its drying now and i'll reinstall them 2morrow.

Old 10-03-2002 | 11:23 PM
Looks real nice. Congrats on everything coming out so nice. It is always a stomach turner when you a re a perfectionist and it seems like you are that

Old 10-03-2002 | 11:42 PM
Looks killer man. Good job. Little details go along way. I know you do a few shows from time to time and things like this go along way. I wish my truck looked half as good as yours does. As for the neons, that would look good at night. I tihnk tampa99 did that on his truck, might ask him or search the the photo's he posted. I 've got a copy of his and it looks killer, just do not wanna post someone elses stuff.

Old 10-04-2002 | 03:15 PM
|
thanks guys

KY, yup, i've been doing shows about every other weekend now. Got one this weekend, and then a HD f150 meet october 26/27, then a show in november up at the highschool
anyway, i saw pics of tampa's truck with the neon. Looked really sweet with it in the headlights and all that. Just don't have enough money or skill to do all that wiring and taking off the front end I may do some underframe neon though (basic kit with 4 tubes) and i'm definately doing the 2- 6" tubes behind the scoops for when i go cruising and stuff.

thanks again! going to reinstall the inserts now

Old 10-04-2002 | 05:28 PM
I'm interested in doing the Mustang scoop. Have you driven it in the rain? If so, did your engine compartment get wet? I'm just worried about the electrical system.

Old 10-04-2002 | 09:38 PM
Josh, dont BS us.

We know you won the powerball. Party at joshs.
Hey, I know you been here much longer then i have and youve had some down time like the rest of us but your **** is coming together nice. Im envious!! I dont normally admire other trucks but its looking good. If I wasnt getting rid of the truck Id have to get a hood to blend w/ the crowd. That s it is tight.
Props, props, props. Keep it up Josh. Show ford what we expect from out trucks.

Old 10-04-2002 | 10:22 PM
|
Thanks Db. Your right though about the down time. When i 1st got the truck the only mods i had were window visors, a bugguard, rubber HD floormats, and headlight covers for shows. Its only been in Just the past 4 months i've gotten hit with the mod bug really bad. since the beginning of summer i've dropped the rear 2", gotten new head/tail lights, new hood, AF1, red wire loom, chrome engine trim, painted calipers and inner exhaust tips, zaino, custom flush mounted hood inserts, made my own custom tonneau cover inserts, getting a clarion 8" sub soon, then i'm getting a bedrug in the spring, tinman billet over the winter, and going to smooth and paint some pieces over the winter also, and some red neon behind the hood scoops. I've just gone so long with so few mods (2 years!), and i'm tired of being ripped off at unfairly judged auto shows and want to make my ride more unique. Also, i've been working alot lately and need something more to show for it, and have gotten some killer deals on stuff that i otherwise would have never of been able to afford. Just finally feeling that i can start to say my trucks not ALL stock and that some of my own custom work is in there

Now wish me luck cuz i have an auto show tomorrow right in my home town! Small show, but they split up the classes badly, so i don't know how i'll make out. Nothing one year, 2nd last year, shooting for a 1st this year, but if there's a classic pickup in my class, i'll really doubt i'll be able to compete with that.

Jupiterak, as for water getting in, the little bit thats going to get back in there with the mustang scoop (which is less than the cervini's would probably let in) won't hurt anything. your engine compartment just gets dirtier faster, but thats no big deal if you keep up on it. I wash my engine once a month and if that doesn't hurt anything, a little rain wont. Good luck, the mustang scoops look great!

Quick Reply: Matching Ram Air Hood Scoop Inserts