The AVIC-Z2

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since i have had a few ppl ask me how to do it now. Here are the directions.

Step 1) Buy a good set of 3 ft. RCA's. Best buy has Rockford Fosgate RCA's for 6-10 dollars.

Step 1A) If you have a mini aux-in buy a pair of RCA-> Mini.

Step 2) Cut RCA's in half.

Step 2A) Cut RCA's in half before they join together for mini plug.

Step 3) Remove shielding for abt two inches from cut side

Step 4) Find wires at entertainment harness. (16 pin harness)

Step 5) Strip RCA's and Wires back approx 1/2"

Step 6) Slip on heat shrink

Step 7) Solder the Aux R+ to center pin of black RCA
(in order to find which wire is center pin of RCA, take a DMM and set to continuity and touch one side to pin and other to wires until you hear a beep. The beep is the corresponding wire)

Step 8) Repeat step 7 with remaining wires

Step 9) Slide heat shrink over joint and heat until shrunk

Step 10) Plug in to Radio and you should be set.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Since i have had a few ppl ask me how to do it now. Here are the directions.

Step 1) Buy a good set of 3 ft. RCA's. Best buy has Rockford Fosgate RCA's for 6-10 dollars.

Step 1A) If you have a mini aux-in buy a pair of RCA-> Mini.

Step 2) Cut RCA's in half.

Step 2A) Cut RCA's in half before they join together for mini plug.

Step 3) Remove shielding for abt two inches from cut side

Step 4) Find wires at entertainment harness. (16 pin harness)

Step 5) Strip RCA's and Wires back approx 1/2"

Step 6) Slip on heat shrink

Step 7) Solder the Aux R+ to center pin of black RCA
(in order to find which wire is center pin of RCA, take a DMM and set to continuity and touch one side to pin and other to wires until you hear a beep. The beep is the corresponding wire)

Step 8) Repeat step 7 with remaining wires

Step 9) Slide heat shrink over joint and heat until shrunk

Step 10) Plug in to Radio and you should be set.

Would you be willing to make the wire for me so that I can just plug it in. I will pay for the wires and shipping. Thanks

Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey guys, i'm pretty close to buying the Z2 but i'm wondering how the NAV is and how well the voice activation works with it. So whats the deal...

My factory stereo is killen me..I need a new head unit soon

BREW

Old 10-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by BREWDUDE
Hey guys, i'm pretty close to buying the Z2 but i'm wondering how the NAV is and how well the voice activation works with it. So whats the deal...

My factory stereo is killen me..I need a new head unit soon

BREW
i love the z2. the nav system works great. theirs only 1 question i have about it (im sure this applies to every nav system) and thats how the hell do you update it. where i live, they just opened up a new ring road around the city and when i get on it the nav thinks im driving in the middle of nowhere and when i make a destination, it will route itself through the city instead of the ring road because it doesnt know about it yet. other then that the nav system is pretty good. it has all kinds of different options for views and stuff like a 3d view or driver view, splitscreen views. you do it all using your voice too.

the voice activation is pretty funny. sometimes when i use it, it works perfect. other times like when im showing it off to my friends it doesnt pick up what im saying at all. for example i was searching for a point of interest and i said, "mcdonalds" then it replied in its sexy girl robot voice, "manola, calculating route." and it routes me to the middle of nowhere. you can pretty much do anything with your voice though and thats like lazier then using a remote. pretty soon their gonna have units that can just read your mind for when you want to change the radio station or whatever. their is a short delay in between voice commands but imo its no big deal. you just need to read the manual and memorize some of the commands.

i bought mine off ebay for under $1300 - brand new not refurbished or anything, some guy from brooklyn. i did the install myself and when everything was said and done i was still under $1500. also the bypass was very simple to do.

anyways hope this helps

Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Updates will be done with future DVDs. I think they come out once a year or once every two years. I have the Z2 (bypassed) and I love it. Im glad I chose Pioneer and not Panasonic.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by edwards
i love the z2. the nav system works great. theirs only 1 question i have about it (im sure this applies to every nav system) and thats how the hell do you update it. where i live, they just opened up a new ring road around the city and when i get on it the nav thinks im driving in the middle of nowhere and when i make a destination, it will route itself through the city instead of the ring road because it doesnt know about it yet. other then that the nav system is pretty good. it has all kinds of different options for views and stuff like a 3d view or driver view, splitscreen views. you do it all using your voice too.

the voice activation is pretty funny. sometimes when i use it, it works perfect. other times like when im showing it off to my friends it doesnt pick up what im saying at all. for example i was searching for a point of interest and i said, "mcdonalds" then it replied in its sexy girl robot voice, "manola, calculating route." and it routes me to the middle of nowhere. you can pretty much do anything with your voice though and thats like lazier then using a remote. pretty soon their gonna have units that can just read your mind for when you want to change the radio station or whatever. their is a short delay in between voice commands but imo its no big deal. you just need to read the manual and memorize some of the commands.

i bought mine off ebay for under $1300 - brand new not refurbished or anything, some guy from brooklyn. i did the install myself and when everything was said and done i was still under $1500. also the bypass was very simple to do.

anyways hope this helps

Thanks man, thats what I wanted to hear. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger. My birthday is in 2 weeks...hmm..could be a nice present to myself

BREW

Quick Reply: The AVIC-Z2