The AVIC-Z2

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AVIC-Z2

so its my birthday coming up this week and im wanting to buy myself a birthday present. im a fan of pioneer, i had a pioneer head unit in my old truck and it was pretty bad ***, so i have my eye on the AVIC-Z2. just wondering what everyones thoughts are on it and if anyone has this unit in their truck already and what they think of it. is it worth all that money? i dont wanna cheap out and get something else then regret it later.

thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 AM
I LOVE MY AVIC-Z2! There are a couple downsides however. Doesnt play MP3 DVD's, too long to boot up, Only XM NavTraf, Ipod interface is too slow. Overall I love it and wouldnt trade it for anything but the Alpine F#1 Status (Keep in mind that HU is stupid expensive).

If you need pics PM me.

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 10-11-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 AM
well i went ahead and bought a z2 off ebay last night. should be in within 6 -10 business days i cant wait.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:22 AM
If you need anything let me know. And ill give you my # and walk you through it.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 AM
I have the Z2 and like it a lot. I've added the rear cam, iPod interface, steering wheel control interface, and Sirius receiver. As Red said there are a couple of nuisance problems but nothing serious.

The iPod interface is clunky when you want to browse for a specific artist but you can build some smart playlists in iTunes to clean that up a bit. It does boot slowly but it plays whatever you were listening to last while it boots. One really cool feature is the record mode that automatically rips your CDs to the installed HDD when you listen to a CD for the first time. After that, the ripped music is available from the units HDD when Library is selected. Finally, whenever Pioneer releases updates you can download them from their support site, burn them to CD, insert it in the disc slot, and the AVIC will update itself. You can also create custom splash screens, burn them to CD, and install them on your unit. The only thing that I really don't like is the War of the Worlds sound effect that plays every time you turn the key off, open a door, or when the interior lights time out and turn off. I've been looking for a way to turn it off but no joy so far. It's probably in the manual somewhere but everyone knows real men don't read manuals.

Get it and enjoy it.

Mike

Last edited by mcoomer; 10-22-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 AM
i went ahead and bought one off ebay brand new for over 1000 dollars cheaper then would it would of been buying from like best buy here in canada. i got it in on friday and installed it on the weekend. everything works perfect except for the radio, i need to find out where i can buy an attachment so the antenna can plug into the Z2. so far i love this unit, so cool. im just not to impressed with the mounting kit i got(best kits), the top doesn't sit flush with the dash - unless i stuck it in upside down haha. ill have to check that out. anyways here is some pics

you can see in this second picture how the mounting kit sits all gay at the top of the dash.

anyways, thanks low_e_red for the tips on doing this, i got it all bypassed and everything. me and the old man went to the store to get a sheet of wood yesterday and he was watching deathproof the entire time - lol. dont worry people i wasnt watching it so dont even start.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
2 things

1 call cruthfield.com for the antenna adapter

2 call crutchfield.com for a new mounting bracket

I think I paid $9 for the radio antenna adapter and $15 for the bracket.

Also check out avic411.com so that you can bypass the unit.

Did the unit come with a wiring hardness so that you didnt have to cut your factory wires?

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
2 things

1 call cruthfield.com for the antenna adapter

2 call crutchfield.com for a new mounting bracket

I think I paid $9 for the radio antenna adapter and $15 for the bracket.

Also check out avic411.com so that you can bypass the unit.

Did the unit come with a wiring hardness so that you didnt have to cut your factory wires?

i did the bypass already, it was pretty simple.

the Z2 came with the three harnesses of course but it never came with one to connect it to the factory ford harness. i just went to future shop and picked that up, it was like 25 bucks i think. thats where i got the mounting bracket too.

i was hoping i could just find somewhere close to home for the adapter but i will check crutchfield out.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 PM
You should be able to pick up the antenna adapter at future shop or any car audio place. Hell even BBy has it. Its a Chrysler Antenna adapter. CR10.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
You should be able to pick up the antenna adapter at future shop or any car audio place. Hell even BBy has it. Its a Chrysler Antenna adapter. CR10.

yea i went tonight and picked one up from futureshop.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 PM
low e i have a question for you, on your z2 do you have the aux ran from the back to the factory spot ontop of the dash?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Uhh. Not yet. I havent found the time to do it.

How did everything go. Did you find places to put everything?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:39 AM
everything went perfect. i put the antenna right above the 3rd brake light and the mic on the visor

Old 10-23-2007, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by edwards
low e i have a question for you, on your z2 do you have the aux ran from the back to the factory spot ontop of the dash?
When I had my Z2 installed I picked up the iPod interface. The Aux can be plumbed in but using Pioneers iPod interface I can control from the head unit while the iPod sits in the glove box and is charging. The interface is a bit slow but using Smart Playlists in iTunes I was able to create playlists A-Z and sort by artist to speed things up quite a bit. I figure it looks cleaner with everything tucked out of sight.

Mike

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM
The aux in is for 07's. We have a auxin plug in the tray of our trucks. GOOD NEWS!!! I know the wiring scheme for the aux plug. Buy a set of RCA's and cut them in half. Strip the wires back and solder together.

Aux-in R (+) - Pin 6 on C290B - Orange - 20 ga
Aux-in L (+) - Pin 7 on C290B - Red - 20 ga
Aux-in L (-) - Pin 8 on C290B - White - 20 ga
Aux-in R (-) - Pin 14 on C290B - Pink - 20 ga.

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 10-25-2007 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply: The AVIC-Z2