JVC KW-AVX810 pics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
JVC KW-AVX810 pics.

I just installed this head unit in my 2005 F150. The main reason it took me so long to upgrade the HU is I did not want to get a single din unit. Having had my car broken into before and having stereo equipment stolen I wasn't going to get a double din touchscreen because nobody made a decent unit that had a detachable face. Then I found this one. I've had a JVC television for years and haven't had a single issue with it, so I decided to give this HU a shot.

Got it from Sonic Electronics on ebay for $375. SE is an authorized online JVC dealer, main reason I went with them.

SE sent me a Scosche fd1426b dash kit, which I had to modify a bit to make work. No problem.

Also sent a Scosche fdk11b wiring harness which is for an audiophile truck, which I don't have, but it didn't matter.

I spliced the two harnesses together and it was a piece of cake. It did then take a bit of fine tuning to make the dash kit fit right in the dash opening. Not really a fan of the plastic mounting points on this dash kit, but what the heck. I had to shim under the top two legs of the dash kit to make the kit sit right in the opening. Good thing the dash trim on these trucks is so easy to remove because I must have taken it off and put it back on about a dozen times or so before I was satisfied with the dash kit.

OK, here's the pics. Don't mind the dust and fingerprints. :o

It does protrude from the dash a bit (detachable face) but I am very satisfied with it. Looks like it belongs there. The dash kit is slotted and I could move the HU back some if I choose to, but that will come later on since I will definitely be back in the dash at some point in the near future.

Now taking into consideration this is the first piece in my audio upgrade, the unit sounds phenomenal with only the stock speakers. I will be upgrading the front door speakers with PG 6.5" amplified components and switching the rears with polk 5x7's, and I'll also be installing amplified 2 Id 10" speakers in a dual underseat enclosure.

Also if you're interested in bypassing the parking brake switch just ground the light green parking brake wire in with the ground wire.

All in all for the 15 minutes I've actually had this unit on and played with it I am exceptionally pleased with this purchase.

Last edited by Stealth; 11-21-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: can't spell polk
Old 11-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Very nice

Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks cool Stealth, for some reason I just like stock w/ the Nav better. Weird I know

Old 11-21-2009, 02:03 PM

I don't need nav, and this unit functions way better than anything stock ever could.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I was surprised how a new head unit made the stock speakers sound so much better.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:50 PM

True. They sound good for stock, now.

I've got to be patient though. Maybe after Christmas I'll have the complete system install completed.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:51 PM
stealth,

I HAD a double din in my 04 f150 and it was "heavy" for a head unit and after a couple months I noticed it started to sag a little bit because the bracket wasn't strong enough for it. I never really fixed it, but 6 weeks ago (after having it in my truck for a couple years) I went over a speed bump and the weight of it finally snapped the bracket. I'm about to do a complete overhaul of my system and I will be finding a much stronger bracket for my new head unit, or I'll end up making my own, cause it was pretty annoying to watch my head unit fall into the dash! LMAO

Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Now taking into consideration this is the first piece in my audio upgrade, the unit sounds phenomenal with only the stock speakers. I will be upgrading the front door speakers with PG 6.5" amplified components and switching the rears with polk 5x7's, and I'll also be installing amplified 2 Id 10" speakers in a dual underseat enclosure.
Cool deal. Just wait till you upgrade to amplified speakers and some subs. I had the audiophile package and it doesn't come close to the JL set up I have now. Although my left front speaker has been cutting in and out some, I think there's a loose connection some where. I need to open everything back up and tighten everything down since it's been almost a year and a half or more since my original install.

- NCSU

Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by cthibeau
stealth,

I HAD a double din in my 04 f150 and it was "heavy" for a head unit and after a couple months I noticed it started to sag a little bit because the bracket wasn't strong enough for it. I never really fixed it, but 6 weeks ago (after having it in my truck for a couple years) I went over a speed bump and the weight of it finally snapped the bracket. I'm about to do a complete overhaul of my system and I will be finding a much stronger bracket for my new head unit, or I'll end up making my own, cause it was pretty annoying to watch my head unit fall into the dash! LMAO
I bet! I need to fab something up myself. I've made custom brackets before, and there's a lot of room in there to be creative.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Cool deal. Just wait till you upgrade to amplified speakers and some subs. I had the audiophile package and it doesn't come close to the JL set up I have now. Although my left front speaker has been cutting in and out some, I think there's a loose connection some where. I need to open everything back up and tighten everything down since it's been almost a year and a half or more since my original install.

- NCSU
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Can't wait to see you get it all installed Stealth. I would like to add a similarly-styled HU as well, but having the truck stolen earlier this year has made me leery of such accouterments.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Nice!!

Nice unit Stealth. I've been a fan of JVCs for the last 12 years or so. I've put one in every vehicle we have around the house (mine, the wife's, the kid's) over that time period and have never had a problem with a one of them. They've all worked flawlessly and sounded great. Here's a pic of my NX-7000, same as yours just a few more bells and whistles. If you go to my photo album you'll see some pics of what I did to the bracket (metra kit) to get mine to sit flush and I know what you mean about the taking out and putting back in a dozen times, I had to do the same thing. As for the unit falling into the dash from the weight of it, I installed mine a little over a year and 1/2 ago and haven't had any issues with it sagging or coming loose and I've had it out a couple of times since the initial install to put in a rear view cam and other stuff. It has worked and sounded great even though I'm powering it w/a 12 year old Kenwood 280 amp,(I know, weak, not the Kenwood, the amperage). Pm me if you want to know about getting the unit to sit flush, cause there's a little more modification to do to the surround of the dash kit so it will open and detach that I should explain in detail.

edit: just read your other post about the dash kit Stealth, the Scosche kit looks just like the Metra kit so I don't know if it's any better than yours. I used a little locktite glue to hold mine together and haven't had any issues.

Last edited by mitch150; 11-25-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:47 AM

Thanks Mitch! The pics from your album are exactly what I needed to see. I can see the difference between the scosche and metra kits now. Going to get one this weekend and re-do the mount.

Just ordered the Metra 95-5812 dash kit for $10 shipped off eBay. I'm going to make it sit flush like yours.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Stealth; 11-25-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 11-26-2009, 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Thanks Mitch! The pics from your album are exactly what I needed to see. I can see the difference between the scosche and metra kits now. Going to get one this weekend and re-do the mount.

Just ordered the Metra 95-5812 dash kit for $10 shipped off eBay. I'm going to make it sit flush like yours.

Thanks again!
No problem Stealth. Hit me up when you get the new kit if you have any questions. You'll have to trim about an 1/8 to maybe 3/16 of an inch off the bottom of the surround of the kit with a dremmel so the face plate doesn't rub against the bottom of it when opening the face plate.

Quick Reply: JVC KW-AVX810 pics.