Soliciting thoughts and feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soliciting thoughts and feedback

Guys and (Gals),
A serious question for your input.
I have become infatuated with the idea of a Head Unit exchange with built in NAV and all the bells and whistles for blue tooth etc.
I have a 2003 SCREW (somehow every time I write that it just seems so....weird) It has the factory CD player (single) and the standard features associated with it. I am a 57 year old with a tech leaning mind but I am only average at handyman skills.
So here is my question (s).

Is this best left to a professional installer? I read on here how some of you guys swap head units out like its no big deal but as we all know a skilled Tech can make anything look easy.

Is it worth it in the long run...I am ok with spending 600 or 700 on the deal but my spouse will rag on me big time if its not just a good upgrade but an awesome one. ( you should what she has to say about some of my guns, small children are not allowed in the house when she starts on that subject).

So please serious thoughts would be appreciated. Models styles etc. I love my truck and plan to keep it until one of us dies, just like the 97XLT I had.
Merry Christmas.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say go for it. I'm like you - maybe - 56 and a bit of a gadget freak. I had the single CD/cassette OEM HU in my 06 Lariat. Swapped it for a Kenwood DNX 5120 with GPS/DVD/CD/Sirrius Satellite radio, bluetooth and Ipod controller. I love it if for no other reason than it cleared up all the clutter on my dash - no more dash mounted GPS, iPod, and so on. It's a very clean, organized look and gives me all the bells and whistles in one easy to control location.

As for installation - I've got a friend that's pretty handy - a semi-pro installer I guess, and he did it for me. Pulling the OEM HU is no trouble and if you can read and follow wiring diagrams, self install should not be problem. Prior to the full-on switch I installed a Brandmotion iPod controller. Nowadays most of the major brand HUs will come with very near plug-n-play wiring harnesses. I'm a great fan of Crutchfield's for that sort of stuff cause if you do it yourself and get in trouble, you can get free tech support, but for convenience it might be worth it to go to a Best Buy or some such place and pay their $50-$75 for installation.

But no question, I'd make the switch.

Last edited by Smokin Lariat; 12-16-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a professional installer, I can tell you that the dissasembly/install in these trucks isnt too difficult. One advantage of having someone like myself do it is if I break something, I pay for it. If something goes wrong, i fix it (whether that be for free or for charge depends on the issue and its cause), and I have access to a lot more technical resources then you. Something that sets us apart from small mom and pops is we warranty our install for as long as you own the vehicle, and thats good at any best buy nation wide.

Just some food for thought. I dont discourage do it yourselfers...12v installs are usually quite fun to do. I do, however, discourage DIY'ers who have NO clue what they are doing and end up ruining their vehicles and perfectly good equipment. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Travis

Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. A professional installer does offer some serious comfort, I have said Oh Sh*T to often in the past......

Quick Reply: Soliciting thoughts and feedback