Intermittent cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent cooling

I noticed a leak after buying the truck then replaced the manifold hose last year, then had a recharge. The a/c was great until recently. It blows air thats approximately 60°F then as I drive it intermittently begins dropping in temperature and cooling.
i opened the hood and visually inspected the a/c piping for leaks. I can't see any refrigerant leaking so I hooked up a manifold gauge to the high and low side.
the high side is 150psi and the low is 25 psi. As
the compressor cycles the low side fluctuates during the cycle from 25 psi to 50psi.
I had a charge last year after replacing the manifold piping. The pressure should be higher.l on the high side.
the pressure should be at approximately 215 psi
The low should be 29psi
I guess my concern is that my compressor is going out or im leaking somewhere around the condenser. I don't see any leaks. Could the high be low because of a compressor issue. I can hear the clutch engage, it's very loud, is that normal?
would you say it's compressor failure?
I just bought it last year so I may proceed with a new orifice, accumulator, and compressor.

Old 07-08-2024, 06:52 PM
As you can see before I even start up the low side is high and the high side low.
it looks like a compressor issue, im considering replacing the compressor; likewise, the accumulator and orifice.

Last edited by Fordtech12; 07-08-2024 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 08:26 PM
I'm considering it to be a bad bearing, mainly because of the noise I'm hearing. I opened the hood today while putting air in my tires, what's happening is, the stator releases the clutch after I hear a clicking noise from the pressure switch but after the clutch engages the chattering noise starts. I just wouldn't think a bad bearing would cause the problem.

Old 07-17-2024, 11:48 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Might be a clutch issue - maybe too wide an air gap or a worn out clutch, something like that.

Quick Reply: Intermittent cooling