Need help with new head lights for my 04-08

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013 | 12:01 PM
|
Need help with new head lights for my 04-08

They need to go with my blacked out truck. I think the ones that are tinted (in front of the bulbs) look great, but I don't want them to make my lights any dimmer than they are now.

The black headlights I have now are only about 3 years old, but the plastic is starting to screw up.....

I'd like something with bright a$$ LED's.... I think....

What are my choices nowadays ? Expecting to spend about $200....

Any suggestions ?

Thank you,
Fish

Old 02-07-2013 | 02:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

There are no primary illiumination lamps utilizing LEDs at the moment. You're either going to get HIDs or halogens.

Don't get tinted lamps, they will not only cut down on output, but also refract the light all over the lenses just scattering it.

You should just buy some new ones with black trim and get some high-po Halogen bulbs.

Old 02-08-2013 | 12:18 AM
|
Thank you Raptor.

There are no primary illiumination lamps utilizing LEDs at the moment
Well that totally sucks I totally believe you..... but this is still almost hard to believe ! Heck, my roomie is like a semi-pro cyclist, and he has little tiny LED light setups for his bikes, that I swear are as bright, or brighter, than a cars headlights ! And these are so simple, I bet they wouldn't even take a lot of creativity to rig for use in a truck, or car......

Just doesn't seem like one should have to.
Wait... isn't it 2013 already ?

Honestly, I have another pair of black ones in my closet that just need some hard core sanding and polishing. I already did that once.... but missed some of the deeper scratches from the coarse sanding stage, so that by the time I got to polishing, those scratches showed up again

Maybe I could redo those in 5 or 6 hours.....

Hmmmm,
Fish

Old 02-08-2013 | 04:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Fish, you can't compare a bicycle to a pickup truck. I have a flashlight that puts out 1,300 lumens (half of a HID capsule) on just 6x AA batteries. The part that draws back for us is the optics.

Ferarri, Audi, Merc, Caddy, and BMW all have several LED headlamps. They are ENORMOUS with several emitters, almost 20+ reflectors and at least several projectors, not to mention the heatsinks. All of this is needed to eliminate glare.

You don't want to know how much just one of those assemblies costs. Again, LEDs as primary sources of illumination are in their infancy. Those 25W emitters only give out about 2200lm of light @ 5000K (versus 3200lm @ 5000K for HID) But they generate more heat than a standard halogen bulb. The entire back side of those headlamp assemblies is a massive heat sink, some even have fans on them.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 02-08-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2013 | 08:31 PM
|
Well thank you Raptor, for that little lesson in auto lighting. I guess by the time my truck is ready to throw away, they might have some cheap, easy LED lighting setups availble. Oh well.

Peace,
Fish

Quick Reply: Need help with new head lights for my 04-08