Lightning

Question for Brembo owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002 | 12:09 AM
|
Question for Brembo owners

I finally toasted my rotors this weekend. Time to install the Brembos.

Here is the question: Is there any way to keep the stock dust shields? I am installing ducts and need some meat there to attach the ducts to.

The image below (courtesy of The Pawn) seems to indicate that the sheilds must be cut down:

Here are the duct mounts I am looking to install:

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 12-16-2002 | 12:35 AM
NOSTROMO
I had the same problem with my Mustang running 13.5 inch rotors and Alcon calipers. The dust shield would simply not fit.

I don't have any pictures up to show but all i did was run the ducting up to the spindle and aimed the outlet toward the center of the rotor. Aiming it toward the center of the rotor is important as hot spots can develop warping the disc. Fasten the ducting with some heavy duty plastic cable ties.

Somebody may have done what you are trying to accomplish but this would probably be the next best thing.

Old 12-16-2002 | 12:54 AM
Dont know about the shields, but where did you get the duct mounts?

Old 12-16-2002 | 01:23 AM
Tim,
I have 14’ rotors on my AP kit and I did not have to cut down the shields.

Good luck with the install.

Old 12-16-2002 | 01:32 AM
NOSTROMO
And there ya go!

Old 12-16-2002 | 02:53 AM
tim,

did you finally get those lower control arms i sent you ?

Old 12-16-2002 | 05:03 AM
Banned
Originally posted by NOSTROMO
I had the same problem with my Mustang running 13.5 inch rotors and Alcon calipers. The dust shield would simply not fit.

I don't have any pictures up to show but all i did was run the ducting up to the spindle and aimed the outlet toward the center of the rotor. Aiming it toward the center of the rotor is important as hot spots can develop warping the disc. Fasten the ducting with some heavy duty plastic cable ties.

Somebody may have done what you are trying to accomplish but this would probably be the next best thing.

I had custom ones made for my Alcons. I used the brake cooling kit from Griggs Racing but modified the hats. I wish i could find the pics, but it wouldnt be that hard for Tim to adapt some plates. Call Griggs, they may be able to help you out.

Old 12-16-2002 | 07:23 AM
|
Originally posted by Nathan
Dont know about the shields, but where did you get the duct mounts?
$32 each at pitstopusa.com. Bought the hose there also.

Old 12-16-2002 | 07:26 AM
|
Originally posted by Probleminfected
tim,

did you finally get those lower control arms i sent you ?
They showed up last week. Sorry I forgot to e-mail you.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2002 | 07:29 AM
|
Originally posted by NOSTROMO

I have seen this done before. I am also replacing the control arms with some DJM tubular arms, so I have the ability to make hose mounts for the arms. I would rather have the spindle hats attached, though, for neatness, more precise cooling, and a more solid connection. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 12-16-2002 | 09:29 AM
Tim,
I have the Stop-Tech setup and was able to retain the dust sheilds. Check my gallery.

Old 12-16-2002 | 08:26 PM
I didn't actually do my install, my mechanic did, so I am not sure how much of the dust shield he ended up cutting down. The pictures were from the Lightning owner that sold them to me.

I've been just starting to look into the idea of ducting air from the foglight recesses myself, but havn't gotten far into it, let me know how it goes Tim.

Dan

Quick Reply: Question for Brembo owners