Lightning

Head Replacement/Work Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002 | 01:04 PM
|
Head Replacement/Work Help

I know I'm not a Lightning owner, but I know many of you have done head work. I think I have to take off the passenger side head to put an insert or another insert in that head. Is there any help out there? CHiltons says something about taking the timing belt off then moving the crank. That's not good is it?

What gaskets do I need? Intake? Exhaust? Head? Valve cover?

Should I put inserts in all of those on that side of the motor?

WHere do I get the new gaskets and head bolts? Every place I call has nothing on them.

Thanks for any help. I know I don't drive a Lightning, but I sure do drool on them

Old 12-16-2002 | 02:55 PM
um, whats an insert?

Old 12-16-2002 | 02:59 PM
Originally posted by superfords
um, whats an insert?

hellacoil I would guess.

Old 12-16-2002 | 03:02 PM
What's a hellacoil?

Old 12-16-2002 | 03:22 PM
|
you guys are joking with me now..

Yes, the insert was like a helicoil. It wasn't a helicoil brand but it was sold by napa and supposedly had a lifetime warranty. It was the solid type not the coiled wire type. I know you lightning guys know what these are.

Old 12-16-2002 | 03:49 PM
just my .02, replacing heads and timing a 5.4 is not a fun job in the vehicle. I'd only recommend doing this if you are very experienced and have lots of tools. you do need to remove the timing cover and lots of other stuff. Ford says not to use heli-coils on this particular application, only replace the cylinder head. Take that with however many grains of salt you wish, but supposedly their is not enough metal left around the plug (inside the combustion chamber) after the head has been drilled to fit the heli-coil to be safe. there are varying opinions on this though. some folks here have successfully repaired heads. maybe some of them will chime in. I'd strongly recommend getting yourself a Ford shop manual if you are thinking of attempting this repair yourself. It will take you through step by step.

good luck.

later,
chris

Old 12-16-2002 | 03:49 PM
I had the guy who ported my heads helicoil mine. Won't have any pics for awhile. I'm still waiting on cams. As soon as I get the heads I'll take some pics.

Old 12-16-2002 | 04:02 PM
|
Super, I am using the original head. I only plan on fixing where the plug sits. I am ok with doing some work on my own. The cost of having ford do this repair is rather discouraging. I would sooner trade it in and get something else than pay them to fix something that should break like it did. But that's for another forum. I have faith in the helicoils just as I have faith in ford trucks. I don't know if I will helicoil each of the cylinders on that head or not. I hope I can get the head off, fixed and back on without losing it.

The way my wife looks at it is if this is broken now, why would I buy another ford. She just doesn't get it....

Quick Reply: Head Replacement/Work Help