Lightning

Razors Edge new Injector flow bench

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002 | 07:32 PM
|
Razors Edge new Injector flow bench

We are please to announce that we have just added a fuel injector flow bench to our service dept. This unit allows us to do a host of test procedures including Static and Dynamic testing along with sonic cleaning and backflushing.Each injector will be flowed, cleaned,rebuilt with new pintle caps and o-rings then flow checked again and marked with flow data.. It has long been our belief that random plug failures or destruction is not always caused by a "hot cylinder" but many times is caused by an injector that is dirty or simply flows less.
The current Ford Motorsport catalog states that 42lb injectors from the oe can vary as much as + or - 6%, in a worse case scenario that can mean 12%.
We can either clean and flow your injectors or we will have matched sets available and you'll return yours to us as cores.
Paul

Old 12-19-2002 | 07:57 PM
So it is possible to get a set with 6% in the plus direction, which should make them flow 44.6

For guys with increased boost, or aftermaket superchargers that could be a big benifit

Old 12-19-2002 | 08:04 PM
I might be misunderstanding the post don...but I believe they are saying its possible stock injectors could flow as much as 44.6 or as little as 39.6. And obviously no one knows what they are currently flowing unless you have them checked. But while they are out you might as well have them flowed by Razors Edge to maximize performance.

Old 12-19-2002 | 08:21 PM
|
Don
The injectors flow rate ie: 42lb is calculated at roughly 37psi fuel pressure. What's important is to have 1: a clean set ( you'd be shocked at how bad even low mileage ones can be) and 2: to have a set that is matched. The reasoning for this is that most tuners can raise or lower the pulse width of the injectors across the board, meaning all 8. If your tuner were using only an 02 meter and not a 4 gas analyzer it is very possible to have as an example 6 cylinders that are rich and 2 that have injectors that are dirty or flow less. These 2 lean cylinders would cause the 02 number to go up (if you were using a 4 gas you could compare the CO% and 02% and know right away that there was 1-2 etc lean cylinders). To compensate for what appears to be a lean condition with an 02 analyzer many times a tuner will raise the pulse width to get a comfortable A\F ratio. What this has just done is made the other cylinders richer than they need to be. By starting with a matched set of injectors at least you know you are getting equal fuel delivery at the manifold. We'll get into injector staggering, modules that allow control of the injectors and timing cylinder to cylinder and running 9th and 10th injectors at another time..
Paul

Last edited by TZrider; 12-19-2002 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2002 | 10:08 PM
cool, that thing looks like one of those coin sorters your can buy on an infommercial. and btw...is it a good idea to use fuel injector cleaner on a regular basis? if so what brand?

Last edited by cpeapea; 12-19-2002 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-19-2002 | 10:55 PM
paul you mention having clean injectors.

out of curiosity whats the best way and the easiest way to clean your injectors out.

I always run good gas and I run tolulene once and awhile so I think there probably pretty clean, but I'm curious what you recommend for cleaning them?

Old 12-19-2002 | 11:36 PM
cleaner machine.

chemicals alone work like crap, people waste their money every day at my shop with injecter cleaner. even with the gas switch off and cleaner only it still doesn't work.

so the injecter cleaner machine is the only way, or new injecters.

this is what i've been told by more then one tech

Old 12-20-2002 | 09:37 AM
|
RTKILLA
Probleminfected is right, we've tried injector cleaner at the rail and in some cases it helps. The only way to really clean them is with a sonic tank. We put the injectors in the tank, connect the leads and turn it on. What this does is hold the injector open for 15 minutes (about the max you can go without overheating it) and let the solution in the tank clean them. From there we put each injector in a device which allows us to back flush them, then we replace the o-rings and pintle cap.
Paul

Old 12-20-2002 | 11:33 AM
Paul,
Nice addition to the shop Paul.

Old 12-20-2002 | 01:20 PM
So for the guys not running big boost what benefits do we get? How often and how much is the cost. I like the idea of knowing my injector is clean.

Old 12-20-2002 | 01:32 PM
wow

sounds like something anyshop would want to invest in.

Old 12-20-2002 | 06:09 PM
how much is it gonna cost?

Quick Reply: Razors Edge new Injector flow bench