Lightning

JDM Full Exhaust Special!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003 | 06:56 PM
No dyno #s but I ran a 12.59 w/o the headers(1/4 tank of fuel) and a 12.35 w/ the headers(1/2 tank of fuel) 0ne week later.
The conditions were about the same.
My only other difference at the time was the rollpan , but I was running more fuel so that is a wash.
I am not a seat of my pants dyno guy but I definately felt this mod right away.

Also Mike (blueballs) true blue 02. Ran a 12.75 on sunday. he put the full exhaust on that friday and ran a 12.62 on sat.He has no pulley either.Just a chip. So i do believe it will benefit lower boost guys also.

VINNIE

Old 01-01-2003 | 07:38 PM
Originally posted by thepawn
Here's my dynoplot. The only difference between the two is the full exhuast and the time of year:

after further inspection of this graph, I have a question or two?

I'm not knocking you or your truck at all pawn, but I don't understand how your truck only made 309 Horsepower??? and after the exhaust you were at 337HP?

Most stock L's are producing in the 345-360 hp range bone stock right? what gives? Am I missing something?

thanks,
chris

Old 01-01-2003 | 08:07 PM
This is a same true bolt on system that is used in our 10 sec 2001 test truck. You can do the install in your driveway in 5 hours. The regular price is $1895 for the complete system, for our January special it will be $1695. All the hardware is included so you will need nothing but basic hand tools.
5 hours? Basic tools? I was under the impression that you had to drop the whole engine to install headers.

Can this claim be true?

Old 01-01-2003 | 08:16 PM
Originally posted by superfords
after further inspection of this graph, I have a question or two?

I'm not knocking you or your truck at all pawn, but I don't understand how your truck only made 309 Horsepower??? and after the exhaust you were at 337HP?

Most stock L's are producing in the 345-360 hp range bone stock right? what gives? Am I missing something?

thanks,
chris
I have a stock 2000 Lightning, most of those did not put down 345 at the rear wheels...all you newer (2001+) guys did. Granted there were the few "more powerful" 99/00 trucks, but most did 305-320hp. They were also both pulls on hot days, which makes the relationship between them better, but of course, lowers my overall power output numbers.

Daniel

Old 01-01-2003 | 08:18 PM
Originally posted by seattlesnake
5 hours? Basic tools? I was under the impression that you had to drop the whole engine to install headers.

Can this claim be true?
You do NOT have to drop the engine to do the headers... Rich@JDM did mine on jackstands. You just take both front tires off and remove the firewall shielding and you can reach everything right through there.

The hardest two things to do are to seperate the old exhaust (pieces of it get frozen together) and to drill the new hole for the O2 sensor in the heatshield.

Daniel

Old 01-01-2003 | 08:21 PM
Former Sponsor

seattlesnake,

No.
The driver side header slides up from underneath and the passenger side header slides in through the passenger fender well.
To remove the the original exhaust system and install ours should take no more that five to six hours.

Hope this helps
Jim@JDM

Old 01-01-2003 | 08:41 PM
Daniel (thepawn) thanks for the clarification and the dyno info!

Jim@jdm quit messing around with the darn 'puter and go make some Silver Bullets! (j/k)

later,
chris

Old 01-01-2003 | 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor
I am curious about some solid hp/tq dyno numbers as well, this is an expensive mod just for bling and sound.
- Chris,
It all depends on your mods.
On a stock truck I have seen twenty to thirty HP.
With 30 FT Lbs of torque.
On a fully moded truck I have seen as high as 42 HP and 46 Ft. Lbs. of torque.
All trucks will have different numbers.

Yes there definately may be legal issues, and I believe this is FEDERAL, not just based on locality, but around here there is something like a $3000 to $5000 fine for replacing/modifying catalytic converters or emissions control equipment. and they can fine $20,000 to $30,000 for any shop that does this work for you!!!

-If this was the case every exhaust manufactor would go out of business.
This include all muffler chain stores.
I am pretty sure that Magniflow , Carsounds, Mac, Borla, Bassini and all the other after market exhaust companies will disagree with you.
Sense all of them make H-Pipes with Highflow cats that are not in the original location.

you are not allowed to touch them UNLESS THEY ARE DAMAGED or INOPERATIVE/NOT WORKING PROPERLY

- Not working properly that will be the case sense that you will be raising the HP level of your stock vehicle.

but who is to say yours weren't damaged or inefficient right?
- As long as you replace them with carb. certified cats.
Which every one in the world is.

as for will it fit an '03? It better or I'm gonna be throwing chit and saying bad words.

Our exhaust system is guarantied to fit the 03's.

Jim@JDM

Old 01-01-2003 | 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Jim@jdm quit messing around with the darn 'puter and go make some Silver Bullets!

Chris,

That is why I was in the shop most of the day today.

Jim@JDM

Old 01-01-2003 | 09:16 PM
Jim, thank you for working through the holiday.

I was working too, working on getting past this hangover that is

anyway, they sent a memo around the service dept some time back that indicated the above listed fines for modifying the exhaust system, these fines may have been for REMOVING the catalytic converters rather than replacing them with aftermarket. In any case, I went to the Va State police website to try and find some info but I don't speak legal mumbojumbo. but you may be right, they may have been threatening fines for anyone caught removing removing or dissabling the exhaust/emmissions sytem.

but here's some info from a quick search about EPA laws:
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/air/pubs/catcv-fs.pdf

You can install either an OEM or
aftermarket converter if:

· The catalytic converter is already
missing;
· A vehicle inspection program has
determined that the catalytic
converter and/or the fuel inlet
restrictor has been damaged; or
· The vehicle has more than 50,000
miles or is more than five years old.

and here's the kicker
· An aftermarket catalytic converter may not
be installed if the OEM catalytic converter
is present and functioning properly.

which is precisely why I said what I did, whos to say your stock cats weren't bad and in need of replacment? technically this is the ONLY time you can replace them with stock OR aftermarket parts unless it's a recall.

I'm not arguing with you, i'm just presenting the facts as I know them.

having said all that, is my exhaust ready yet? I think my cats are bad?

Last edited by superfords; 01-01-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2003 | 11:43 PM
Smile

I just got my full exhaust on about a week ago, I replaced long tube headers and a complete custom exhaust with the JDM exhaust. Sounds dumb.....but it was worth it. There was enough of a difference between the two systems that I can feel it.
My old system had the 02 sensor in one pipe only, the new setup has the sensor in the collector were it belongs, my old headers were not near equal length, the new ones are. Minor differences but big gains.

If there is one thing I would recomend on your install it would be to clean out the header tubes before you install them. This would be on the stainless headers only. Run a wire through the tubes and hook it to a rag sprayed with a cleaner, I used WD-40 and pull the rag through the pipes.
Dale

Old 01-02-2003 | 12:00 AM
Originally posted by superfords
Jim, thank you for working through the holiday.

I was working too, working on getting past this hangover that is

anyway, they sent a memo around the service dept some time back that indicated the above listed fines for modifying the exhaust system, these fines may have been for REMOVING the catalytic converters rather than replacing them with aftermarket. In any case, I went to the Va State police website to try and find some info but I don't speak legal mumbojumbo. but you may be right, they may have been threatening fines for anyone caught removing removing or dissabling the exhaust/emmissions sytem.

but here's some info from a quick search about EPA laws:
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/air/pubs/catcv-fs.pdf

You can install either an OEM or
aftermarket converter if:

· The catalytic converter is already
missing;
· A vehicle inspection program has
determined that the catalytic
converter and/or the fuel inlet
restrictor has been damaged; or
· The vehicle has more than 50,000
miles or is more than five years old.

and here's the kicker
· An aftermarket catalytic converter may not
be installed if the OEM catalytic converter
is present and functioning properly.

which is precisely why I said what I did, whos to say your stock cats weren't bad and in need of replacment? technically this is the ONLY time you can replace them with stock OR aftermarket parts unless it's a recall.

I'm not arguing with you, i'm just presenting the facts as I know them.

having said all that, is my exhaust ready yet? I think my cats are bad?
You are correct!!! There are others that would like to rewrite the laws to say what they believe them to mean. I believe these laws have been in effect for awhile now. Everyone is an expert and wants to argue with you. I held a smog license in Calif. and spent alot of time in class to get the license. 480 hours.

About the headers JIM.............do they have a C.A.R.B. E.O. # ?????

Old 01-02-2003 | 12:10 AM
Former Sponsor
About the headers JIM.............do they have a C.A.R.B. E.O.
'01ArrestMeRed

N0

Jim@JDM

Old 01-06-2003 | 11:06 PM
|
Banned
We found an awesome sound file of the exhaust. I will upload it tomorrow for you guys.

Thanks to all,

Justin@JDM

Old 01-07-2003 | 02:40 PM
A little off topic Jim, but I think you should have a special on 15" Bogarts for the month of February.

Quick Reply: JDM Full Exhaust Special!