Lightning

JL airbox and ram air

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL airbox and ram air

Any of you all got pictures of your installed kits?

I've installed two of the kits in the last few days and both did not work out right, the hose was short as hell, and at full lock the tires would rub if you hit a small bump or shifted weight on truck.

Please if you can help me out =)

Brandon

Old 12-22-2002, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are a glutton for punishment ... I know ... You need
the work for that dayum ski trip ... I will be thinking about you
shooting the Gulch in January ...

Based on what I saw, keep all the end pieces and go buy another
longer chunk of hose. Shame that the original; wasn't a tad
longer ... 8 inches is perfect ... (That's what my missus says too!)

PS... Wish I could hook this other computer up to the internet ... <grin>

Old 12-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Here are some pics of mine.........

--Joe

Old 12-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Banned
Click here

Old 12-22-2002, 05:10 PM
Hey Soap. ..i have just the box with a home-made fresh air scoop...but i was wondering on how that grill on top of the box mounts?i know JLP offers it,i was just wondering on the mounting procedure?

Old 12-22-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by SpankDog
Click here
Hey spank is your air box pulled way down and did you have to REALLY give that hose a tug to get it where its at? The hoses in both of these kits seems like they are both about 8 inches short. And are a tad tooo close to the tire for my liking.

Lastly the kit doesn't work on the 02 harleys, the bolt holes you are to use are diffearnt. The bumper support holes are used on the harley(fog light and bumper cover bolt on there) vs the Lightnings do not. And aparently the diameter of the harley wheels/tires are larger overall (meanign bigger than 28.5 inches) because it hits the tube BIG TIME Guess i'll give JL a call once he is back from xmas break

Thanks for all the pictures guys

Bran don

From the looks of it, i have done it correctly but maybe the hoses are a tad short...

Old 12-22-2002, 07:50 PM
Banned
It just screws in to the box at the ends......

Old 12-22-2002, 07:52 PM
Banned
Originally posted by Crazyone
Hey spank is your air box pulled way down and did you have to REALLY give that hose a tug to get it where its at? The hoses in both of these kits seems like they are both about 8 inches short. And are a tad tooo close to the tire for my liking.

Lastly the kit doesn't work on the 02 harleys, the bolt holes you are to use are diffearnt. The bumper support holes are used on the harley(fog light and bumper cover bolt on there) vs the Lightnings do not. And aparently the diameter of the harley wheels/tires are larger overall (meanign bigger than 28.5 inches) because it hits the tube BIG TIME Guess i'll give JL a call once he is back from xmas break

Thanks for all the pictures guys

Bran don

From the looks of it, i have done it correctly but maybe the hoses are a tad short...
Yea I pulled on the hose hard.........its tight now but it fits good, I didnt think it was gonna work but you just have to PULL.

Old 12-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Here are the instructions for the old ram air. Not sure which version you have, but either way it may help.

http://www.johnnylightningperf.com/support/ramair.asp

Old 12-23-2002, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys, why the hose isn';t just a few inches longer i'll never know cus that would make that kit very nice.

Lastly spank and 99, your kits rub at all?

Brandon

Old 12-23-2002, 01:06 AM
Banned
Mine does not rub.....stock wheels and tires.

Old 12-23-2002, 09:33 AM
Crazyone: sorry about the problems you are having...We can send you a longer hose if you need it. We are making the hoses longer to make life a little easier. That hose you have will fit but you have to hook the hose up to the box before you connect your mass air up to the rubber connector going to the throttle body. Once you connect the hose to the bottom of the box simply pull the box up to the rubber hose going to the TB and connect.also you said the tire is rubbing. We have them on Many HD including our own with no tire rub. Make sure the tire isn't hitting the Plastic liner piece that is sticking out towards the tire more since the tubes goes behind it. because it will push the liner outwards a bit and your tire will hit that. just simply fold the corner of the liner back towards the frame and this will clear also with no problems. And since you have the HD you don't need to use the long bracket on the scoop that is for the lightnings. just simply remove the long bracket all together. if you have any other problems or ? just give us a call 717 786 4670 or e-mail us JLightningRacing@cs.com...Thanx and MerryChristmas to all! JL

Quick Reply: JL airbox and ram air