Lightning

Cam bolt assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002 | 01:25 AM
|
Question Cam bolt assembly?

I will be the first person to tell you that I'm NO mechanic or tech. I have slowly picked up everything I know about trucks from my experience with my truck and this board. I know thats kinda scary... So heres another rookie question, I'm going to get an alignment tomorrow and was looking at the cam bolts. I want to install these myself to save money. Plus I just enjoy it. So I need to know how to install the cam bolts. I mean what order do you put the washers on and ect? Thanks, Damon

Old 12-23-2002 | 01:59 AM
These bolts?

Take out your factory upper control arm bolts (including the painted shim that sets the factory alignment). Then slide the bolts with the big cam end on on it through the frame mount and through your control arm and out the other side. You will notice that there is a little tit that sticks out on the frame mount that the cam uses to push against to gain/lose camber/caster...make sure you dont put the cam washer on top of this. I dont even know if its possible..but it may be. Now since your bolt is through all the way, install the other cam washer over the bolt, followed by the regular washer, then install the lock washer, then the nut. As you get close to tightning the bolt all the way make sure you get it as close as possible to 0 degree camber or you will be driving to the alignment shop like this / \ You will see what i mean when you start to tighten the bolts up...you will see how the cam pushes the control arm out and in as you pivot the cam on the tit.

P.S. These dont look like any tit you have seen before....they do nothing for me!

Hope this helps...would have posted some pics of my install if i had taken any. Also thanks for the pic Vinnie...i think it was yours! I found it on a post during a search.

Last edited by The Orphaner; 12-23-2002 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2002 | 02:09 AM
|
So another question where does the other washer go? You have the bolt on then the other cam bolt, washer, locking washer then nut. Where the other washer go? Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it. Thanks again, Damon

Old 12-23-2002 | 02:15 AM
I did mine last week. It only took ten minutes per side. Put one washer on the bolt. Slide it through, then put the other washer on then the big cam washer, lock washer and nut last. Pretty easy.

Old 12-23-2002 | 02:17 AM
|
So the washers go on the inside of the cam bolt itself before the control arm? Damon

Old 12-23-2002 | 02:18 AM
Old 12-23-2002 | 02:18 AM
|
You guys are the BEST Thanks Damon

Old 12-23-2002 | 02:21 AM
Not a problem. That's why I enjoy this site so much. No matter what the problem is, someone always has an answer. Happy holidays to you all.

Old 12-23-2002 | 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Dageon
So another question where does the other washer go? You have the bolt on then the other cam bolt, washer, locking washer then nut. Where the other washer go? Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it. Thanks again, Damon
Sorry about that Dageon, I was refering to the picture which already had one washer installed on the bolt...I think my kit came with one washer already on the bolt like the pic...but maybe yours didnt?

Old 12-23-2002 | 08:37 AM
The ROUSH cambolts are one piece (welded, I think) on the
one side, and just the cam washer and nut on the other. As
many are wont to point out, if Cliff can do it, it MUST be easy!!!

You just take the pressure off the control arms with a jack
and everything slides out. The "square" shim is hard to see,
but if you slide your fingers along the vertical space behind the
original bolt holes you will dislodge it.

Good luck ...

Old 12-23-2002 | 09:34 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
quick tip:

install the bolts from the inside out.

like so ====| |====

makes adjustment alot easier.

Bob

Quick Reply: Cam bolt assembly?