Lightning

super light spare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002 | 04:01 AM
Could someone please fill me in on why you are trying to save like 50 lbs. on a 5000LB. TRUCK!

Jeez some people around here need to get a stripped out stang for themselves and use the L to tow with.

Old 12-31-2002 | 05:28 AM
Originally posted by blown318
what happens if u get a flat at work and its raining??????

You are only putting one tire on.That will get you home or at least to a station unless of course you hit the NNNAAWWZZZ!!!!LOL

VINNIE

Old 12-31-2002 | 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Boostin01L
Could someone please fill me in on why you are trying to save like 50 lbs. on a 5000LB. TRUCK!

Jeez some people around here need to get a stripped out stang for themselves and use the L to tow with.
50lbs here and there can add up to a lot of weight savings.

Old 12-31-2002 | 12:35 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
50lbs here and there can add up to a lot of weight savings.
I agree with that! I know people who take the floor mats, ash tray and anything else not bolted down (and even some things that are) out when they race. I admit that I used to take the floor mats out of the 'Stang, but that was only because the gas pedal used to get stuck under it sometimes

Old 12-31-2002 | 02:57 PM
|
that's fine that you think I'm a dip**** retics. everyone is entitled to their opinion -- even you. However, my post was concerning a simple solution to drop some weight. 50lbs is nothing in the grand scheme of the truck, but 50+ lbs in 10 different places is a big chunk of weight.

So, retics, what exactly do you do for a living that has given you supreme authority on what is a good and bad idea as far as modifications to trucks? And exactly why did you feel the need to jump in to "set me straight"? Do you have a small ***** you are trying to compensate for? Is your IQ only double digit? Is inbreeding in your family and your eyes are too close? Are you upset because you don't make enough money to afford mods? Did your father beat you and now you feel the need to lash out? Did your mother force you to service her? What, my friend, got you all fired up over a question concerning a light weight spare tire which I bet quite a few would put on their trucks if they were reasonably priced...

Old 12-31-2002 | 03:26 PM
LOL If you get 50 Ilbs from 10 different place on one of these trucks i would take back the dipchit comment .And besides if you were worried about weight why did you buy a 02 hd?

Im sorry to say that if i ever met you id have to B!tch slap you for the things you typed .For one out of respect to anyones mother you just dont say that kind of stuff . Im done with this, I think youve proved that your a dipChit . ]

If you would like to continue to talk about parents or private parts email me .retics4me@hotmail.com

Originally posted by ken800
that's fine that you think I'm a dip**** retics. everyone is entitled to their opinion -- even you. However, my post was concerning a simple solution to drop some weight. 50lbs is nothing in the grand scheme of the truck, but 50+ lbs in 10 different places is a big chunk of weight.

So, retics, what exactly do you do for a living that has given you supreme authority on what is a good and bad idea as far as modifications to trucks? And exactly why did you feel the need to jump in to "set me straight"? Do you have a small ***** you are trying to compensate for? Is your IQ only double digit? Is inbreeding in your family and your eyes are too close? Are you upset because you don't make enough money to afford mods? Did your father beat you and now you feel the need to lash out? Did your mother force you to service her? What, my friend, got you all fired up over a question concerning a light weight spare tire which I bet quite a few would put on their trucks if they were reasonably priced...

Last edited by retics4me; 12-31-2002 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2002 | 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Boostin01L

It's BECAUSE the truck is so heavy that weight loss is a priority. Weight is hard on tires, brakes, and lap times.

Losing the spare, jack, and hitch can save 110-120 lbs, which is significant even on a 5,000 lb truck.

Shave off a total of 200 lbs. (4.3%) and the net effect on power-to-weight ratio is the same as adding about 15 HP--in addition to the handling improvements. Lots of folks around here spend hundreds for a 5 HP improvement, yet dropping weight is free.

Old 12-31-2002 | 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Lots of folks around here spend hundreds for a 5 HP improvement, yet dropping weight is free.

By far the smartest thing said in this thread.

Old 12-31-2002 | 05:20 PM
|
Originally posted by retics4me
LOL If you get 50 Ilbs from 10 different place on one of these trucks i would take back the dipchit comment .
Lets call 50 lbs 1 unit. You are saying 500lbs at 10x50 right?

spare 50 lbs
tailgate 80 lbs
dry cell battery 30 lbs
roll pan 80 lbs
remove hitch 50lbs
aftermarket billet wheels (in my case 50x2 since I could get 100lbs)
slicks and bogarts net at least 100lbs on my truck (cut billet weight above in half)
you already know the weight of gas at approx 8lbs/gallon. 1/8 of a tank saves at least 150 lbs.
some have emptied the washer tank and save 15 to 20
front sway bar removed 20lbs
passenger seat 50lbs

So far that is about 680 lbs of weight. That does not include lighter exhaust systems, losing the heavy pulley cage, taking out the jack, and removing miscellaneous not bolted down stuff.

That is quite a bit more than 500 lbs. Would you like a glass of milk to go with your foot?

Im sorry to say that if i ever met you id have to B!tch slap you for the things you typed .
Now that is an intellectual response, there. Pardon me, sir, your IQ is showing.

Maybe noone ever taught you two basic etiquette rules. One: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Two: Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are ignorant rather than opening and and proving you are.

Last edited by ken800; 12-31-2002 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2002 | 05:23 PM
Ken

The tailgate does not weigh 80 lbs. More like 30. I take it off enough times.

O.K. now you two can go back to fightning.

Old 12-31-2002 | 05:28 PM
spare weighs 60 lbs. i've weighed it before when i took it off to clean it and put a coat of liquid glass on it

plus with your HD, since you've got 4 seats, thats 3 of them that can come out if you really want to drop alot of weight,
also, the HD rims weigh a crap load. 80 lbs a piece.
lots more places to drop weight off the HD

Old 12-31-2002 | 05:33 PM
|
thanks... that weight came from other posts. I thougt it sounded high, but at least I still have more than 500 listed there....

No fighting here. More like defending an attack from a retard... lol
not much of a fight, really.

Old 12-31-2002 | 05:53 PM
silly boy hidding behind his computer . I assure you you would not say them things to my face . Are you one of them guys who has a H.D truck because they are too scared to have a bike or do you actually ride?
regardless your still a dipchit

Old 12-31-2002 | 07:25 PM
Cool

HI!... I just weighed my stepside tailgate on a digital scale. With the bed liner plastic tailgate protector, mine weighs 50.5LBS. My spare was 49.5LBS. So there's 100LBS or 1 tenth in the 1/4.

Old 12-31-2002 | 07:28 PM
|
I assure you you would not say them things to my face .
And I *assure* you I would. What would you do, kick my a$$? Do you drive a camaro, too?

Are you one of them guys who has a H.D truck because they are too scared to have a bike or do you actually ride?
Actually FYI, I wanted a lightning, but with a family and a "special needs" child such as yourself, I needed the space for him and his stuff. I wanted a lightning crew cab. I don't really care about the harley stuff -- it's just the way it came. So, its the next best thing. You can go back and find posts where I have stated the I would prefer to have the L over the HD but it doesn't fit my needs.

I recently owned a completely modded GSX-R 750. Pipe, carbs, gears cut, etc. etc. etc. It rode it 176 mph only because it wouldn't go 177. I don't have the willpower not to ride a crotch rocket for what they were designed for. I was lucky... it got stolen before I had a nasty accident. It was my fourth and last bike.

You said you were done with this in a previous post. Why can't you just go away and quit while you are behind?

Another post, another foot. What next?

Last edited by ken800; 12-31-2002 at 07:31 PM.

Quick Reply: super light spare?