Lightning

Test Results With New Jdm Intercooler Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003 | 12:28 PM
|
Test Results With New Jdm Intercooler Radiator

Got my new JDM intercooler radiator this week and got it in quick as we had a big race yesterday. The unit is made by Fluidyne and initial inspection revealed a first class unit that is really well made and a lot more heavy duty than the stock unit. It took about 45 minutes to remove and install the unit on a lift. No problems. Saved the fluid and put it back in so I could see how much additonal fluid it would take. Added 2-3 quarts.

Now for those of you who don't know I run an IHRA 1/8 mile track in Sealy, Texas. I also have a temp guage on my intercooler fluid. It is from autometer and is called a dragster warm up guage. It goes down to 60 degrees, only comes in black face, 2 5/8", and is electric, but calibrated for accuracy (they say) of 1-2%.

With the stock radiator, my fluid temp would go up 10 degrees in one pass down the track. It took 20 minutes to get the fluid temp back down, in the pits, with ice and a circulating pump switch. I do not have fans (yet) on my intercooler radiator. With the new JDM unit the fluid temp only went up five degrees in a run. This meant it was a heck of a lot easier to get the temp back down and this is very important if you are not getting a lot of time and the track is hot lapping you (usually at the end) so they can get the races finished. My experience in hotlapping and not cooling down is that running back to back runs with the ten degree additional intercooler fluid temperature on the second run is that the truck runs .09-.10 slower. My intercooler temp guage is my most important tool in bracket racing.

In short, this new Intercooler Radiator from JDM is a real winner. Anything, that gets the intercooler fuild temp more constant is a winner. I suspect that the cooler operating temp that it also provides will result in imporved gas mileage on the road but I have no test to prove that yet. I will fill up tomorrow and run one. If you are running at the track you need one of these. I will be adding a couple of Spal fans to it soon. They will be used to cool it quicker in the pits, but also to run in the staging lanes and during burnouts where there is no real air going over the radiator. Thanks Jim, I don't know where you come up with some of this "stuff" but this new radiator is a real winner!!
noelvm

Oh yea, race results. They had 300 cars for a non national event. They expected maybe 150. They ran out of everything. In my class, Modified ET, there were 175+ cars and trucks. We ran from 2 to midnight and they had to stop because the humidity went to 97% and the track got cold and wet and the traction went away. We were down to about 20 of us and I was still in it. They split the money between us ($2,000).

78,000+ miles on origianl motor. Over 1800 passes at the track. Still runs like new!

Old 01-05-2003 | 12:33 PM
noelvm,
Great info, Noel...good to hear from you again.....sounds like you'll have another excellent year....JR

Old 01-05-2003 | 01:07 PM
Re: Test Results With New Jdm Intercooler Radiator

Originally posted by noelvm
. . . I suspect that the cooler operating temp that it also provides will result in imporved gas mileage on the road but I have no test to prove that yet. I will fill up tomorrow and run one. . . .
Great writeup! Thanks.

I would not expect any mileage improvement, though. Remember, the engine is rarely under boost on the street.

Old 01-05-2003 | 02:01 PM
Thumbs up

sounds like a great product. keep on takin' names and kickin' a**es, Noel.

Old 01-05-2003 | 06:27 PM
|
I don't know. I don't do 2nd to 1st gear kickdowns, but I have a stall and I'm in boost a lot. Yo're probably right but well see next week.
noelvm

Old 01-05-2003 | 06:37 PM
I am also very happy with my Heat exchanger. To me this mod made a lot of sense.A cooler motor is more efficient.I do not have the guage like you , but I did notice the needle on my OEM temp guage did not go as high.I thoght maybe it was just my imagination. Thank you for clarifying it wasn't.

No comparison to OEM

BTW- I have the spal fans on it and love them.

VINNIE

Last edited by VINNIE; 01-05-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2003 | 05:57 PM
Originally posted by VINNIE
I am also very happy with my Heat exchanger. To me this mod made a lot of sense.A cooler motor is more efficient.I do not have the guage like you , but I did notice the needle on my OEM temp guage did not go as high.I thoght maybe it was just my imagination. Thank you for clarifying it wasn't.

No comparison to OEM

BTW- I have the spal fans on it and love them.

VINNIE

hello

were can I get a set of those fan's?

Old 03-13-2003 | 06:11 PM
either www.jaycorptech.com
or
www.slickcar.com

Either way get the 7.5" pull fans and mounting pins.

2 Fans p/n # 30100358
2 Mounting Kits p/n# 30130013

Then all you need is relay, switch some wire, etc.

Old 03-13-2003 | 06:13 PM
Originally posted by FastMatt
were can I get a set of those fan's?
IC Fans

--Joe

Old 03-13-2003 | 07:29 PM
Re: Re: Test Results With New Jdm Intercooler Radiator

Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Great writeup! Thanks.

I would not expect any mileage improvement, though. Remember, the engine is rarely under boost on the street.
Depends on who's driving.

Old 03-13-2003 | 07:36 PM
Thanks for showing your old set-up soap

jaycorptech just got a $148.70 order

Old 03-13-2003 | 10:31 PM
I think those are a really good mod..

PEacE...............

Old 03-14-2003 | 12:00 AM
Old 03-14-2003 | 02:08 AM
thanks

Old 03-14-2003 | 09:17 AM
Why not use a Powercooler or Supercooler at the track?

Quick Reply: Test Results With New Jdm Intercooler Radiator