Lightning

'03, pulled a plug and verified new head! more threads!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003 | 01:12 PM
|
Cool '03, pulled a plug and verified new head! more threads!

Hi guys, I just brought my truck in and pulled a spark plug...

I used a long right angle pick (like a dental pick) to reach down in the hole and count the number of threads in the head. I counted over and over and kept coming up with NINE threads.

So I marked a spark plug with an ink pen and threaded it in, it appears as though AT LEAST 7 or 8 plug threads are in full contact with the head!

When I went to reinstall the sparkplug, as soon as it started to catch, I counted 8 full turns of the ratchet before the plug got tight!!!

Thank you Ford for finally fixing this problem.

The info that I have is that all 5.4 heads made AFTER November 12th, 2002 have this updated head design.

According to ford there is 80% more threads in this head. do the math however you want, but I know there are more than 4 now.

Still up for some debate though is wether or not these heads are available as replacement service parts...
The person I spoke to at Ford said NO, but this contradicts the first report made by Buzz LightYear that these heads even existed. and he found out about them because he saw them in person at his dealership being installed AS a service part repair. So apparently they are out there in circulation.

Anyway, for you '03 owners, I believe that this is the date you need to look at to see if your heads are of the new design or not:

This number is found just above the exhaust ports on the right hand side of the head as you look at it from either side of the truck. (meaning the driver side head has the date printed near the firewall end of the head, and the passenger side head has the info printed on the end of the head near the front of the truck).

This number is different than your engine build date found on your driver side valve cover, and also different than your vehicle build date. Again, according to my info, it needs to say 11/12/02 or newer.

good luck.

later,
chris

Last edited by superfords; 01-10-2003 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2003 | 01:17 PM
well this figures, I had my head replaced in November .... Guess I will have to wait till it blows again ...

Old 01-10-2003 | 01:33 PM
Only took Ford 6 + years to fix this problem.

Ford should replace the heads on all the 2nd Gen Lightnings

Old 01-10-2003 | 01:37 PM
Last week i caught that faint wiff of burning oil from the passenger side of the truck (pi$$es me off ... oh well). I spent 10mins with my mag light and found a very small drop of oil by the head. I was debating to get it fixed now or wait until it really stared leaking. If in fact Ford has new heads out i'll wait until they get to my local Ford service dept.

FRITZ, Stock Silver 2001 "L" BaBolt's s/s tips

Old 01-10-2003 | 01:38 PM
superfords,
What about the plugs? Do they still use the same plugs (AGSF-12FM1) or are they longer?
L Speed

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:04 PM
Hey Superfords,

If you want to lighten up your L, I'll trade you my '01 heads with less material

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:17 PM
Glad you got them Chris. As Don said, Ford knew of this problem but let us buy these 30K playtoys knowing that the heads sucked.
Going by the dates you posted, what was there, a four or five day lapse of time between when the heads where cast and the motor put together. If that is the case they are making the heads as they need them, and we will not see any as parts for a long time

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
Only took Ford 6 + years to fix this problem.

Ford should replace the heads on all the 2nd Gen Lightnings
Good luck with that theory...

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:29 PM
Banned
All someone has to do is start a class action lawsuit and contact MSNBC.

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:32 PM
GIVE ME HEAD FORD

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
GIVE ME HEAD FORD
Till Iam DEAD

LOL

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:43 PM
It's bigger than just a lightning problem. It also happens frequently on the N/A modular motors as well. Do the math, noway Ford is going to issue that recall. Let's see, last year Ford sold 900,000 F-series trucks. Good bet that the majority had modualr motors. Add to that Mustang, E-series, Explorer, and everything else. Conservatively looking at 1,000,000 units just for one year.

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:46 PM
I wonder if thats why they delayed production from november to december and put the cobras on hold around that time.

Old 01-10-2003 | 02:51 PM
Banned
Originally posted by Silver-Bolt
It's bigger than just a lightning problem. It also happens frequently on the N/A modular motors as well. Do the math, noway Ford is going to issue that recall. Let's see, last year Ford sold 900,000 F-series trucks. Good bet that the majority had modualr motors. Add to that Mustang, E-series, Explorer, and everything else. Conservatively looking at 1,000,000 units just for one year.

With the PI head attached to a 4.6, you dont launch plugs. You do however, launch plugs on a 5.4. Try to figure that one out?

I think its fair to say, that if you head over to your local SVT dealer and demand the new head, it should be given to you. Or, hand me a ratchet and ill lossen a few plugs and drive around for a few days.

Old 01-10-2003 | 03:28 PM
|
DennisWeise, yes I believe the plug was the same AGSF-12FM1.

Originally posted by Flying ****
hand me a ratchet and ill lossen a few plugs and drive around for a few days.
well, that's one way to do it

Quick Reply: '03, pulled a plug and verified new head! more threads!