Lightning

Truck dies after WOT run.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003 | 04:46 AM
|
Truck dies after WOT run.

I finally got most of the bugs worked out on the truck. Today I found a place really close by that sells 104 fuel so I bougt 5 gallons and that stopped my pinging problem. I took the truck for a few runs. I smelt fuel @ WOT so I know I am not running lean. The only remaining problem is right when the truck is about to shift, around 5400 i think, it dies. I think the reason it does this is because the plugs are gapped too wide. I think I have them gapped @ .38 (BR7s). Im going to pull the plugs this weekend and re-gap them to .35 and hopefully that will fix my problem. Does anyone have any other ideas about what is causing the truck to die @ WOT? Im pretty sure its the plugs but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-11-2003 | 06:37 AM
boost dump - unplug the solenoid
check this thread...same thing happened to me ....haven't unplugged it yet although it has shut down on me once more....i won't unplug it until i go back to the track .....I hope this is the problem or lack of a problem...anyway good luck
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=97877

Old 01-11-2003 | 09:22 AM
Quote : i think, it dies

If it was boost dump ,,, he would not think... He would know it... Check your fuel filter also along with your plugs........

PEaCE..............

Old 01-11-2003 | 10:04 AM
It may be your chip.

Old 01-11-2003 | 10:10 AM
I doubt that the gap being.38 instead of .35 will make your truck die, miss maybe, but not die. You say you smell fuel, so you know its not lean. My truck is pig rich and I never smell fuel. Its sounds like you are running out of fuel and maybe you have a leak along with a clogged fuel filter.
What every the problem is , I hope you get it fixed quickly as you have had enough problems of your own. Let us know what becomes of this. Good luck

Old 01-11-2003 | 10:11 AM
Re: Truck dies after WOT run.

Originally posted by J15BIG
The only remaining problem is right when the truck is about to shift, around 5400 i think, it dies. I think the reason it does this is because the plugs are gapped too wide. I think I have them gapped @ .38 (BR7s). Im going to pull the plugs this weekend and re-gap them to .35 and hopefully that will fix my problem.

I have my plugs at .040 and it doesn't die on me, I run it that way with 4lbs of pulley, and also with 6lbs of pulley. (I have a upper I take off in the winter) Like everyone says, do the boost by-pass free Mod, absolutely check and change your fuel filter, but the first thing that would come to my mind is your hitting the rev limiter / fuel cut off. The 01's cut the fuel at 5400 the 02's may have added a rpm or two (not sure) if it's not that, can you simply be feeling the Torque Reduction that Ford put in at the shift point ??

I have no torque reduction "anymore", my Limiter has been moved to 5800, and I have a boost by-pass, so I do not have these problems.

Old 01-11-2003 | 10:54 AM
mine too

same thing happens with my truck. When I say it dies I dont mean boost cuts out and still runs sans PSI nor do I get the stacatto of the rev limiter. It just flat out DIES. Engine stops, guages swing wildly I have to shift to neutral to restart.

Could the boost dump or rev limiter cut out so hard it kills the engine?

Old 01-11-2003 | 11:10 AM
First problem sounds like the rev limiter. Have your
tuner check to see that he set the rev limit to account
for the shift changes.

Old 01-11-2003 | 11:26 AM
Try it again before you regap the plugs

Try this

1) push the pedal to the floor, but lift just a tiny bit as it gets to 5000 rpms, and let it shift at just a slightly lower rpm.

Then punch it again, and see what happens.

Try doing this a few times and see what rpm's you start to die.

Also if you do a burnout see if it does the same thing at 5400 rpm's.

Try this with the boost dump plug on and then unplug it and seee what happens. This way you will get the feel of boost dump, and also the rev limiter.

I agree with the others, you are either hittting you boost dump or your rev limiter.

Old 01-11-2003 | 12:01 PM
Re: mine too

Originally posted by Nathan
same thing happens with my truck. When I say it dies I dont mean boost cuts out and still runs sans PSI nor do I get the stacatto of the rev limiter. It just flat out DIES. Engine stops, guages swing wildly I have to shift to neutral to restart.

Could the boost dump or rev limiter cut out so hard it kills the engine?
I think(pretty sure!) you have a chip disconnect situation---if you have a chip. That has happened to me 3 times and it was the chip failing to grip the contacts. When it happened, I put another chip on and the problem was gone. I'm not going to 'name' the chip(I have 3 different ones) but you can email me if you have a chip for more info.

Dan

Old 01-11-2003 | 05:24 PM
|
thanks for all the responses guys.

let me clear one thing up. when i say the truck dies i mean the engine shuts off. i had to shift into nuetral at around 70mph, start the motor again, then put the truck back into drive. Now about the whole fuel filter issue. At the dyno, the tuner said that its most likely NOT the fuel filter. I have a fuel pressure gauge in the truck and @ WOT it reads anywhere from 52-55 psi[the sender is connected to the fuel rail]. I talked to sal and he said that is a good pressure. So, if my fuel filter was clogged, wouldnt I be getting a lower fuel pressure? I dont know. Im going to change the filter regardless if its the problem or not. I bought the filter a few days ago, but the store I bought it from was out of the tool to remove the clips so thats why I havent done it yet. But just so I dont waste 2 hours re-gapping my plugs, you guys dont thinkg that is my problem? As for hitting the rev limiter, maybe. Ill talk to sal.

Old 01-11-2003 | 06:47 PM
J15BIG: See my post just above yours. I believe you have the same problem. Your chip is not 'clamping' tightly enough.

Dan

Old 01-11-2003 | 08:27 PM
~Toast

Last edited by whitetoast11; 03-14-2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2003 | 08:29 PM
c

Last edited by whitetoast11; 03-14-2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2003 | 08:41 PM
I'm not sure if you have a chip, or how it's burned, but I think your problem steps back to Ford itself. If you read a sales pamphlet, you will notice that it mentions that the truck redlines at something like 5400 RPM's. Right next to this, in (), it says "fuel cutoff" I think you're hitting this cutoff point.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Truck dies after WOT run.