Lightning

My view on hp gains

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 02:48 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view on hp gains

1st of all, Superfords, Thank you very much for posting the pics of your exhaust dyno. I had intentions to reply, but I decided it was too much and necessitated its own thread.

As you can see you make improved horsepower over the ENTIRE band. What good would any mod be if you only gained 10 hp for say, the last 100 rpms? You'd still have the false impression of 10 hp gained.

I am trying to think of a way to figure out the area under each curve, and extrapolate that into % of power increased.

I've got the run viewer if you would be so kind to email it to me, I'd really appreciate it. tundra_svt@yahoo.com

One last thing (I know I bore you guys to death sometimes)

Think of the increased hp as you get the equivalent of 3800 rpm hp (when stock) at 3500 rpm (or so) with the mods. This is why we see such dramatic reducitons in ET because the gain is consistent throughout the entire powerband.

In the end, I am trying to figure out an algorythm that will allow me to figure out the optimal gear (between 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10s, i.e. is it better for our truck to be where the tq is at or the hp? I like to think sometimes) for our trucks, as acceleration is a funcition of force over time.

I dont think I will have my shift points above 5200or even 5000 rpms for that matter, since the hp gained is so much less than the loss in torque.

Just for your future reference, you can get a snapshot of your screen by hitting CTRL-Print Screen at the same time. It will blink or something and then you can paste it to a paint program.

I know this post is poorly written, but I am really tired. Does anyone follow me?

LAter

What do you tuners think?

Last edited by Tundra; 01-12-2003 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Are those superfords dynos, before and after??

If so that is a great comparison, shows at any rpm he is getting more HP, not just at peek RPM's.

Those are the kind of mods you want. Ones that improve performance from Idle right to the red line.

Old 01-12-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm following you Tundra. That's why I asked if he had a chance to compare all the hp/tq readings. I thought the same thing when I saw the graphs. It appears as though it's even all the way across the power band, which is exactly what I would want.

Old 01-12-2003, 03:08 PM
i follow...sounds like a good idea. this is a lot of what we need, scientific improvement, not so much guess work. this is what makes a lot of the older syle motors so fast is that we have toyed with them so long that we know that works

Old 01-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My view on hp gains

Originally posted by Tundra
...I am trying to think of a way to figure out the area under each curve, and extrapolate that into % of power increased.
Just sum the HP or Torque multiplied times the delta you're measuring it. Do that for each graph. The difference in each area is your answer.

Old 01-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Rest In Peace
The smaller the delta (change in rpm w/ average hp over the delta) the more accurate the measure right? Is there anyway I can import it into Excel?

Thanks Spike. I see you've really pissed some porche owners with your Lightning at Laguna Seca. I've got 5 years before I can say I've been there, its on my list of things to do. (make more vids! )

Anyhow, back to the topic. 1st things 1st.

Since our trucks are so heavy, where should preference be given? I've heard time and time again that torque gets you off the line and hp gives you the mph.

But yet I've also seen old trucks running 12.8s at 89-94 mph!

It seems the hp graph flattens out around 4800 rpms while torque drops.

I am thinking about starting a small database and doing some serious number crunching. There is this 300 level statistics class that i have to take that I could use for the info...hmmmm. Bedtime. Be back later

please email the dyno files!

tundra_svt@yahoo.com I dont check the email in my sig anymore.

[edit]
one last thing, another factor is the torque converter...if you get my drift...

Last edited by Tundra; 01-12-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Rest In Peace
Bump.

Uh, help me help you?

Old 01-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Bump.

Uh, help me help you?
I send you some ideas tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Tundra, glad to see you posting again. I sure miss watching your kill videos. The last I heard from you you're camera was broke. So have you been filming any kills lately? How is the L coming along?

Old 01-12-2003, 09:44 PM
sorry tundra, I've been out of the house for a while. I actually took my nose out of the 'puter to go out into reality to have dinner and a movie with some friends. I saw "Catch Me If You Can" with Leonardo DeCaprio (sp?) and Tom Hanks, it was pretty good, based on a true story, read the book it's great. you won't believe what this guy got away with.

anyway, back to lightning land. you've got mail!

later,
chris

BTW, I tried the control + print screen thing. well sortof, my runviewer doesn't have a "print screen button". there is a print option listed in the drop down menu box at the top left, but pressing cntrl+ clicking on print doesnt do anything?

help me help me

Last edited by superfords; 01-12-2003 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Chris,
There is a Print Screen key on you keyboard. It's usually at the top between the letter keys and the number pad. If you press the "Ctrl" key and the Print Screen key at the same time, Windows will copy what ever is on your screen to the clipboard. Then you can paste the contents of your clipboard into a new file in MS Paint or another graphics program.

Eric

Old 01-12-2003, 10:36 PM
Tundra, I thought the same thing as you on the shift points. Shift at lower RPM and stay in the better Torgue RPM (also maybe keep the rods in the block). Sal and others said ET's will suffer!

Jerry

Old 01-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Rest In Peace
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I am going to look into it, school starts today, and I have quite a few job interviews. Thanks for the email superfords!

Excuse me, but I always sub for him.

That movie was pretty damn funny.

I look forward to what you have to say Spike.

I am not too surprized that the tuners said ETs would suffer, otherwise people would already be shifting at lower rpms. This, I am going to look into as well.

Old 01-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by ema100c
Chris,
There is a Print Screen key on you keyboard. It's usually at the top between the letter keys and the number pad. If you press the "Ctrl" key and the Print Screen key at the same time, Windows will copy what ever is on your screen to the clipboard. Then you can paste the contents of your clipboard into a new file in MS Paint or another graphics program.

Eric
thanks Eric!

I feel like a goober, I was looking for a button to click on the dynojet runviewer, I didn't realize it was right on my keyboard, duhhhh.

later,
chris

Old 01-13-2003, 09:29 AM
I am not too surprized that the tuners said ETs would suffer, otherwise people would already be shifting at lower rpms. This, I am going to look into as well.
I had my shift points lowered from 5400 to 5250. I ran consistantly faster with the 5250 shift points as opposed to the 5400 shift points. Oh ya and it is A LOT safer

--Joe

Quick Reply: My view on hp gains