Lightning

Why do we stand for it? Heads and rods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003 | 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Probleminfected
all 8 ?!?!?!? wow i would have liked to see that !

CRAZY !
Yeah all eight and the really crazy thing is it did not break the crank or crack the block, at least to where you could see it with the naked eye.

Old 01-12-2003 | 08:12 PM
Broken rods on a stock Lightning, I doubt it. How many of the blown plugs can be attributed to improper torque? My guess is the vast majority were loose to start with. I am currently at 26k and have had no plug issues. I replaced the stock plugs at about 2500 miles. I use anti-seize and properly torque each plug. I also go back and re-check torque between plug changes. I drag it, road race it etc. I run a 6lb lower as my daily driver. If you are going to mod it or race it you have to maintain it. It takes time and effort but it is worth it.

Rod failure due to lean conditions is only one of the possibilities. Also need to consider timing, rpm's, ambient temps, etc.

Old 01-12-2003 | 08:37 PM
Cool Hey SilverBolt

I'm chaning my plugs out the first week of February and was curious when u say you check the torque on the plugs....is that equivalent to running them down snug and then another 1/16th of a turn or do you happen to know the proper inch pound torque rating...and if so how the hell are you gettin the torque wrench in there??? .....Any info would be appreciated and what kind of denso's would yop recomend for a truck with onlya intake exhaust and valve body? now plns over pully upgrade any time soon

Old 01-12-2003 | 09:51 PM
There does seem to be a few common things when you read a post about a spit plug or a thrown Rod.

On the plug issue many said they heard a ticking and didn't know what it was before the plug spit. (it was loose) The other common thing is lots of times they're were simply cruzing along at hwy speed when it happen (again I'd contribute that to a loose plug that worked it's way loose and then spit). Another common thing seems to be lots of times it happens while they're starting it. (again that would tell me it was loose and then the compression of firing it up spit it out).
The biggest common thing is the people (ME INCLUDED) who checked them when it was new and found one or more loose. I had three not tight enough to be safe, one was "real loose" BRAND NEW OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR . (this time we know it was clearly loose) The funny part is I don't know of anyone who spit it while racing at the track, I'm sure there are some but the numbers clearly tell me THEY WORK THEM SELF LOOSE AND THEN SPIT. The Solution, check them every 6 months.

As for the Rods, we all now know Ford actually knows of some bad ones that wen't into the 02's, the bad rods were used in motors build between march and may of 01 (thats the motor build date, not the Lightning) My Lightning was born 12/01 so I believe I'm safe, some day I'll check my motor build date. My guess is there were problemed rods used in other years too and we just didn't hear about them. Of course the bottom line is none can take too much extra abuse over stock power, maybe 100HP, after that I think your pushing it. Of course the most important issue with a Supercharged motor is fuel delivery and A/F, THATS WHAT'S BLOWING OUR MOTORS. Bad Gas, clogged Filters and Injector, too lean a tune, too much timing, and or detonation is death to a lightning motor.

So in conclusion, as much as it's a royal pain in the ***, I believe you must check your plugs twice a year, change your filter twice a year, run the highest octane gas and best quality ALL THE TIME, (I run ultra 94 ONLY) and listen carefully for strange AND NEW sounds. If we all do that and don't run crazy race programs, I believe we can get years of trouble free driving.

I HOPE

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:03 PM
Originally posted by nostreetracing
I have to agree with thepawn on this. However, I was shown a completely destroyed lower from a Harley Truck. Supposedly it was completely stock but I have my doubts as it broke all eight rods. I think some heavy boost or nitrous was involved with this failure. If you stay stock I dont think rods are a concern. Now, the heads are a completely different matter.
That truck was chipped and pullied and nitrous. And several other mods. It only had 800 miles or something if I saw the same one as you.........Still wearing its paper tag

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:13 PM
Banned
I would like to see a stock motor munch a rod. There may be 1 or 2 cases, but if people are tossin rods, they are over boosting or running juice, period.

As someone pointed out, the rods are long, so when you stress them, they are going to lauch something fierce.

The heads are obvious. I still think ford should step up and replace them. It is the right thing to do. Or, you could wait for Edelbrock or TFS to release their 4.6/5.4 heads.

Launching plugs on the 5.4 is about as common as spun #7 rod bearings on the 4.6

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:25 PM
Overboosting then you have a rod issue, and thats our fault... Launching spark plugs on a stock truck, expedition Harley or what ever is a Ford problem, and they should fix it..............

PEaCE......................

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
There does seem to be a few common things when you read a post about a spit plug or a thrown Rod.

On the plug issue many said they heard a ticking and didn't know what it was before the plug spit. (it was loose) The other common thing is lots of times they're were simply cruzing along at hwy speed when it happen (again I'd contribute that to a loose plug that worked it's way loose and then spit). Another common thing seems to be lots of times it happens while they're starting it. (again that would tell me it was loose and then the compression of firing it up spit it out).
The biggest common thing is the people (ME INCLUDED) who checked them when it was new and found one or more loose. I had three not tight enough to be safe, one was "real loose" BRAND NEW OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR . (this time we know it was clearly loose) The funny part is I don't know of anyone who spit it while racing at the track, I'm sure there are some but the numbers clearly tell me THEY WORK THEM SELF LOOSE AND THEN SPIT. The Solution, check them every 6 months.
Well, I replaced my stock plugs about 2 months after I bought it back in May.....put in some TR6's. I launched a plug about 3 months later. It is a manufacturing issue. The 6 month rule you have is an ok guideline, but you never know when it's gonna happen. The root cause is the lack of threads.....that's something only Ford can make right

--wes

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:30 PM
I believe its as Rob_02 has said. I believe the plugs are not torqued correctly from the factory.
I had a loose plug at 5K when I changed out those chitty platinum plugs. They might be good for an N/A motor but not a blown one.
Went with the Densos, they are pricey but suppose to be the best.

The rods are marginal at best in a stock hp range. I know there are guys running 6 & 8 pounders on the stock rods.
As much as I would like to, Iam a chicken-chit

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:39 PM
Originally posted by litnfast
That truck was chipped and pullied and nitrous. And several other mods. It only had 800 miles or something if I saw the same one as you.........Still wearing its paper tag
Yeah, I bet it is the same one. Man, 800 miles and all those mods. I tell you, I couldn't do that unless I had a built lower. I guess I'm just a chicken.

I wish I had my camera with me to take a pic. I have never seen an engine destroy 8 rods and a few of the pistons (I didn't notice but one or two laying in the oil pan) without spliting the block. Did the block or crank look broken to you?

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:43 PM
|
This is some good info! Thanks guys!

Rob_02Lightning, that was some good reading!

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:53 PM
Re: Why do we stand for it? Heads and rods?

I just did a search on both topics and the number of people who have blown a plug due to the thread problem in the head and the number of people who have a broken rod is just unbelievable.

I'm not trying to flame you here. I just want to put this issue in perspective. Exactly how many do you mean by "unbelievable"? Remember that alot of the posts you mentioned are 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and even 6th posts by the same person. I'd be ticked also and would probably post about it alot myself.

It may not seem like a large number but when you consider the fact that only about 4000 L are made a year the % ends up to be astoundingly high.

Actually, SVT made more than 14,000 L's between 2001 and 2002 alone.

Not to mention not all SVT Lightning owners are on message boards so there are a lot more cases that we are not aware of.

Don't forget, most of the posters on this forum are modding they're trucks to some extent. Which puts extra stress on the motors that the motors are not engineered to take. Why would Ford or any auto maker engineer a motor to take 100-150 H.P. more than they intend to give it?

Why do we take it? Has anything every been done to put pressure on Frod/SVT to fix these problems. I for one did not pay this much money for a truck only to worry every time I drive the thing. My truck has been great do date but it only has 5000 miles on it. Has this question ever been asked before, and if so what has been done about it?

We are not "taking" anything. This is a non issue if you leave your truck as it was designed. I'll give you an anallogy. I am in the HVAC business. Lets say I sell and install a 4 ton A/C system to a customer. It comes with a 10 year parts and labor warranty. Now the customer gets on the net and reads about some great new gadget to make his unit give him a 5 ton. He puts it on...his compressor blows up. Should I or Lennox be responsible for him taking his A/C unit beyond the intended use?

Rocks

Old 01-12-2003 | 10:57 PM
Originally posted by red00Lightning
Well, I replaced my stock plugs about 2 months after I bought it back in May.....put in some TR6's. I launched a plug about 3 months later. It is a manufacturing issue. The 6 month rule you have is an ok guideline, but you never know when it's gonna happen. The root cause is the lack of threads.....that's something only Ford can make right

--wes

Wow Wes, 3 moths later hu, That Sucks....
I guess I'll have to start checking mine 3 times a year now. You wouldn't mind if they were easy to get to. Thats scary when you think about it because that could mean they arent coming off the assembly line loose, but instead are loosing up faster than we thought
I got to wonder why a mild loc-tite wouldn't help, AND WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY DON'T USE IT ???

Old 01-12-2003 | 11:10 PM
|
Re: Re: Why do we stand for it? Heads and rods?

I'm not trying to flame you here. I just want to put this issue in perspective. Exactly how many do you mean by "unbelievable"? Remember that alot of the posts you mentioned are 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and even 6th posts by the same person. I'd be ticked also and would probably post about it alot myself.

I know you are not flaming.. I am just trying to find stuff out. Trying to wead out rumor from fact ....

There was one post that had a list of people who blew a plug and there was over 25 people listed on it. As far as rods I have seen over 15 different people. Not that many buit when you take into concideration how many L's are built and the % of people who own an L who post I think its a high number.

Don't forget, most of the posters on this forum are modding they're trucks to some extent. Which puts extra stress on the motors that the motors are not engineered to take. Why would Ford or any auto maker engineer a motor to take 100-150 H.P. more than they intend to give it?

I agree. If it is modded trucks only then I agree 100% Thats what I am trying to find out and it looks like most people feel its only modded trucks.

We are not "taking" anything. This is a non issue if you leave your truck as it was designed. I'll give you an anallogy. I am in the HVAC business. Lets say I sell and install a 4 ton A/C system to a customer. It comes with a 10 year parts and labor warranty. Now the customer gets on the net and reads about some great new gadget to make his unit give him a 5 ton. He puts it on...his compressor blows up. Should I or Lennox be responsible for him taking his A/C unit beyond the intended use?

Again I agree but some are saying it is happening to stock trucks. Thats what I am trying to find out. So from what I can tell the plug problem happens on both stock and modded trucks but rods are a modded truck issue. So I guess I mean why do we (all 5.4L guys "take" Ford not doing a recall if its such a big problem.

Old 01-12-2003 | 11:18 PM
NTIMD8,

Most of the time, the mod issue is playing a part in plug popping. I am sure there are a few people who have had it happen on stock trucks...but not enough to get worried about. Any vehicle can have a few bad motors from the factory. To me it is like waiting for a plane to crash...yeah it happens, and when it does, we all hear about it, but it does not happen enough to make us all stop flying.

Have some fun with your truck. Keep an eye on the issues you read about on this forum and you'll do good.

Rocks

Quick Reply: Why do we stand for it? Heads and rods?