Lightning

QA1 problem and JDM

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QA1 problem and JDM

Well I was under the truck last night and was looking toward the rear and noticed I only had one shock.
Scooted back there and sure enough the same one that snapped the last time was completely gone. I haven’t been driving the truck much lately and do not remember anything-weird happening to the rear end.
Snapped at the upper bolt and on the bottom there was just a small circular piece left on the bushing, it looked like it just tore it off big time.
I had them set at position 6 of 12 for a medium setting, checked the right side and its at 6 so I know I adjusted them since the last time I was at the track wich by the way has only been twice since the replacement shock was installed.
This was the used shock JDM sent me cause JIM was out of town or they were out of stock and I was in a hurry to get it for a race that week.
I didn’t get it in time and they still had to ship me parts twice to make it work.
Called JDM and got BULL**** from JERREMY and JIM about how they have replaced it once and this has never happened to anyone ever before, they have never had this problem, bla, bla ,bla, and it must be the truck or me or something else.
I never got a warranty replacement for the first one, it was used and used hard I bet.
IM really pissed and I will not be ordering the new cooler I was saving up for, as a matter of fact I will never buy another JDM product.
I work in the parts buseness and understand all the BS that can occure and I deal with it everyday so I understand the problems with returns for chips and late shipping and stuff but to not stand behind this deal is bull****.
I have a stack of JDM invoices in front of me totalling about 2 grand not counting time and freight, I guess they mean **** to them.
I will go back to the good ol bilstiens, damn I just sold mine a while back, oh well.

Old 01-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Banned

How long is the manf warranty on this shock? Are you sure that after 30 days of purchase from an auth dealer, all RMA on defects go straight to the manf instead of the re-saler? Thats usually how it works.

Case in point. I was running Koni DA Yellows on a coil over on my Cobra. I blew one of them out after 3 months. Had to go through Koni for a replacement instead of who i bought them from.

Old 01-14-2003, 01:51 PM
oh man that sux. try another tuner, i think a few others might have qa1's

Old 01-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
have you lowered the rear of your truck?

Old 01-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where have I heard that before ... "it's you or the truck"

Old 01-14-2003, 02:07 PM
If you snapped off 2 shocks dont you think it could be another problem?

Old 01-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Speedin Bob
have you lowered the rear of your truck?

Thats what I was thinking

I have the QA1's on my truck too, and with just shackles on the rear the shocks were binding up.

I got Stan to make me up a set of upper heim Joints which got rid of all the binding. It is a known problem with lowered trucks, and I think the top threaded part on the QA1's are a little week torsionally.

Old 01-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like the upper connection either got twisted/torqued out (see mount above), pulled out, or loosened up and fell out. Then, when the shaft hit the ground it, the force blew the rest of it off the lower mount.

It doesn't sound like it's entirely a JDM problem.

But, did you get the correct shock for the ride height you have?

Old 01-14-2003, 03:14 PM
I am with Spike on this one.If you had the same problem on the same side its not the tuners fault it has something to do with the truck.I know that if you lower it beyond 2 inches in the back you are putting the shock in a bind and even at 2 inches you are.Look at the angle at which the the shock rod is going into the frame its not at a 90 degrees.Anothing not at 90 will put the shaft in a bind as the rear axle moves up and down.Stan

Old 01-14-2003, 03:16 PM
sheesh, now I'm really glad I ordered these from Stan (Ruslow) too...

later,
chris

Old 01-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Called JDM and got BULL**** from JERREMY and JIM about how they have replaced it once and this has never happened to anyone ever before, they have never had this problem, bla, bla ,bla, and it must be the truck or me or something else.
I never got a warranty replacement for the first one, it was used and used hard I bet.
IM really pissed and I will not be ordering the new cooler I was saving up for, as a matter of fact I will never buy another JDM product.
I work in the parts buseness and understand all the BS that can occure and I deal with it everyday so I understand the problems with returns for chips and late shipping and stuff but to not stand behind this deal is bull****.
I have a stack of JDM invoices in front of me totalling about 2 grand not counting time and freight, I guess they mean **** to them.
I will go back to the good ol bilstiens, damn I just sold mine a while back, oh well.

WHITE01XXX,

I've never spoken to you. Jeremy came in to me this morning and said you had snapped another shock. I believe there is an issue with your truck. The QA1 shocks we sell have a 5/8 hardened steel shaft. You snapped the shaft on your first one. I've been using QA1's for the past five years and never seen this. At that point I thought there was a problem with your truck. Maybe it was too low in the back and the shock was binding? Now that you have snapped another one your upset with me because I won't replace it for free. I will work with you on this, but since you're in Texas and I'm in New Jersey you have to tell me what is going on with your truck. You have to tell me if your truck is lowered, or if you moved the shock mounting brackets. We have QA1's that will fit up to a 4 inch drop in the back. Maybe you should've started your post off if anybody else has snapped two QA1 shocks. We have sold over a 100 sets for the Lightnings and have had zero issues. But I will not lose $180 for a shock just to have it snap again. If you call QA1 they will tell you if you snap the main shaft the vehicle has an issue not the shock. Feel free to call me at the shop, maybe I can help you find out what is causing this problem.

Jim@JDM

Old 01-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
all your shocks are belong to Ruslow, or something.

obtw.

Superfords,

Here are the tools necessary for the front shock install... hehe

Last edited by Speedin Bob; 01-14-2003 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Can someone educate me about these shocks ... They are for weight transfer I assume ?
Hey man sorry you are having trouble, call Jim give him a chance.. Sounds to me like there is a problem beside the shocks also....

PEaCE..............

Old 01-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Blown93
Sounds to me like there is a problem beside the shocks also....

PEaCE..............

Ya Think.
2 broken shocks and its all Jims fault. Give me a break.
But of course that will never be admitted.There is no way it could be the trucks fault or the owners fault.That is just too inconceivable.

Old 01-14-2003, 04:02 PM
Hey JIM
You are right i checked after the first one, and not a single post about snapping the shafts on any board.
I apologize for the rant earlier but I was still upset over nothing and blowing off steam.
I knew better than to hit that send button.
I do not want anything for free; I understand the performance part industry and what you guys go through. If it’s my fault I move on and learn my lesson, witch in this case must be so.
I talked to a lot of people about the first one and no one knows why it snapped, the truck is lowered 1 inch in the rear and the shocks are very close to 90 degree, I had my suspension guy install them and he said the same thing, that they should be Ok at the angle they are in, but who knows.
I have not altered the shock position or brackets at all.
I bolted em right up and have not had a single problem on the right side.
I have a truck that if anything can go wrong, it has and will again IM sure, it’s just my bad luck.
You guys have always helped me out and I guess I got frustrated or something.
I guess i got one freebee from you that was not a warrenty and i appreciat it, what else should i expect.
After hearing some others post about this problem it must be that I need the upper brackets that RUSLOW has, although my truck is not as low as his.
Thanks for the reply and again sorry for all the trouble.
P.S. Oh yea does anyone know why i do not have this problem with the stock shocks??
Again i didnt mean to rase any hell just was upset. sorry.
SEE YA.

Quick Reply: QA1 problem and JDM