Lightning

Just got my emissions notice!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003 | 05:34 PM
I'm pretty close. It still idles a little high in neutral, but in gear, it idles like stock.

I'm going to pull of the T/B, and make a small mod to allow the blade to close further w/o the heavy vacuum pull off.

Other than that small problem, this thing has wicked throttle response, and seems to pull harder up top. Wait until the guys with the big pulleys and blowers get a hold of this piece.

Old 01-17-2003 | 05:58 PM
Originally posted by cpeapea
i think it was dons bolt that said that his actually ran cleaner with all his mods...i made a thread about it a while ago might try searching for it
Ya it does run cleaner, but it won't pass a visual inspection.

I have a friend who has a inspection station, we ran it on the rollers and it ran real clean. Just try to keep them from peeking under the truck, if your state looks for these things.

Old 01-17-2003 | 06:09 PM
Joe,

When they hook up a tester to your OBDII connector, they are looking to see if your computer has run and passed all the monitor tests. That means that when your computer checks to see if the EGR valve is working, it runs a test by opening the EGR valve at highway speed just for a split second and looks at the DPFE sensor and the downstream 02 sensor for changes, if it sees the changes that it is supposed to see, it passes that system in its monitor readiness state.

You can have no more than 2 of your monitor readiness tests incomplete. So all the others have to say passed.

With your EGR system completley removed, I doubt you would pass, nobody can bypass a monitor test with a chip, they can keep your check engine light off, but not pass all your monitor tests. Good luck skirting the law, and thanks for polluting the air that we all breathe.

Old 01-17-2003 | 06:16 PM
Banned
Originally posted by Jay Lincoln
I'm pretty close. It still idles a little high in neutral, but in gear, it idles like stock.

I'm going to pull of the T/B, and make a small mod to allow the blade to close further w/o the heavy vacuum pull off.

Other than that small problem, this thing has wicked throttle response, and seems to pull harder up top. Wait until the guys with the big pulleys and blowers get a hold of this piece.

Im next in line , esp with the ported lower!

Old 01-17-2003 | 06:17 PM
|
Originally posted by Grey03
Joe,

When they hook up a tester to your OBDII connector, they are looking to see if your computer has run and passed all the monitor tests. That means that when your computer checks to see if the EGR valve is working, it runs a test by opening the EGR valve at highway speed just for a split second and looks at the DPFE sensor and the downstream 02 sensor for changes, if it sees the changes that it is supposed to see, it passes that system in its monitor readiness state.

You can have no more than 2 of your monitor readiness tests incomplete. So all the others have to say passed.

With your EGR system completley removed, I doubt you would pass, nobody can bypass a monitor test with a chip, they can keep your check engine light off, but not pass all your monitor tests. Good luck skirting the law, and thanks for polluting the air that we all breathe.

Thanks for your input on the situtation, But I didn't need to hear your comment on the air we breathe It looks as if my exhaust is probably cleaner and safer then your stock exhaust anyway.

Old 01-17-2003 | 07:30 PM
Originally posted by RTKILLA
Thanks for your input on the situtation, But I didn't need to hear your comment on the air we breathe It looks as if my exhaust is probably cleaner and safer then your stock exhaust anyway.
Let me tell you a little story about a thing called NOX.

Do you know what it is? Do you know what it does? Do you even know what emissions testing is all about and why we have it??

Your Lightning is in no way shape or form any cleaner running than a 10 year old lawnmower, hell its probrably worse, but I guess whoever told you to take your EGR valve off knows what they are talking about right? (how many hp did you get from that mod anyway?)

No big deal Joe, you decide to skirt the law and pollute, and I decide to follow the law and not pollute the air anymore than I have to so that future generations of children can go outside and play, and be able to breathe.

Please dont post a whining thread when you fail emissions please, just think when the guy hands you the slip that says you failed that I told you so.

Old 01-17-2003 | 07:35 PM
|
Originally posted by Grey03
Let me tell you a little story about a thing called NOX.

Do you know what it is? Do you know what it does? Do you even know what emissions testing is all about and why we have it??

Your Lightning is in no way shape or form any cleaner running than a 10 year old lawnmower, hell its probrably worse, but I guess whoever told you to take your EGR valve off knows what they are talking about right? (how many hp did you get from that mod anyway?)

No big deal Joe, you decide to skirt the law and pollute, and I decide to follow the law and not pollute the air anymore than I have to so that future generations of children can go outside and play, and be able to breathe.

Please dont post a whining thread when you fail emissions please, just think when the guy hands you the slip that says you failed that I told you so.

Oh god trust me dude, my truck isn't putting out bad emissions!!!! in my field of work you wouldn't beleive the crap I see all day. I'm not flaming you or anything brother, it was a joke. didn't you see the big smiley! its ok though, everyone has problems I guess.

Don't worry I'll post my results ASAP when I pass.

Old 01-17-2003 | 08:40 PM
you guys running clean with the LT's, are you running the stainless. I heard thats the best for emissions, sumthing about running hotter

Old 01-17-2003 | 09:22 PM
Though I have a 1st Gen, I have alot of Modifications and must also go through emissions.

I race the truck extensively during the summer months and this is still my Daily driver.
I have LTs and running into dual cats w/working Airtube and exiting through a Gen2 style set up with dual Magna flows.
The motor has Ported heads and upper, 70 mm throttlebody and underdrives and all emission stuff is hooked up.
I ran through cleaner than it did when it was new.
results

110,450 miles

HC: 11.4
CO: 00.0
NOX: 50.3
Pressure test - pass

I am now good until mid 2004. We run on the dyno and they try to maintain 25 mph for the duration of the test.
I went through with no problems but all emissions are hooked up and truck is making enough power to push my truck to the high 13s with no power adder.
Keep it legal and you will have less stress.

Old 01-17-2003 | 09:39 PM
Go here and request a show car/truck exemption form. You have enough pics. of your L. You will get a pass on testing.
http://www.sos.state.il.us/contact/contact.html

Joe I thought you were a tree hugger not killer

Last edited by JeffsLightning; 01-17-2003 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Just got my emissions notice!!!!!!!