Lightning

Question on running pulley without chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003 | 11:09 PM
|
Question on running pulley without chip

Not to beat a dead horse but can someone explain something to me. Let me start by saying I am very unknowledgeable about this subject so please forgive me if this is way off.
What I have concluded from other posts on this subject is that adding a 4 lb. or higher pulley will bring the a/f ratio to a dangerous level. Thus you need a chip to adjust the a/f to richen up the mix. This leaves one to assume that the chip is actually giving the truck a richer mixture which will actually take away power.
Some people are saying, Why would you want a pulley without a chip, a chipped truck with a pulley is so much faster than one without a chip.
In my mind with my limited knowledge tells me that the only thing that is left for a chip to do to make the truck faster than the stock program is the timing.
Could this be true, the chip is making the mixture richer than stock, making less power which only leaves the advance in timing by the chip to make all the extra power over the stock program.
I do understand that the chip adjusts shift points and a some other less significant items.
Can somebody se5t me straight on this.
Thanks
Chris

Old 01-20-2003 | 11:23 PM
Its not really a matter of richer or leaner...all of our trucks are basically different. I would say that for the most part you can run up to say a 4lb pulley without a chip...our trucks come set very rich on the WOT fuel tables for safety reasons and to accomadate the seasonal temp changes. What a chip does is basically optimize your fuel and timing curves to maximize your HP in a safe manner. This can only be done on a dyno with proper AF measuring equipment. Just by slapping on a 4lb pulley you may be fine and have no detonation but you mayl not make as much HP as a guy with just a chip. For that matter, just adding a chip will probably gain you more HP than a 4lb pulley with no chip.

Hope that helps

Old 01-20-2003 | 11:31 PM
Chris,

Ya this is a dead horse but an interesting one.
First let me say some of the "other less significant items" you spoke about are actually very important. A good tuner will adjust things like shift points, firmness of the shifts, pressure if desired. Also I chose to have my Torque reduction turned off, and my rev/fuel limiter moved up to 5800 RPM. I set the shift points at 5500/5600.
Then yes we adjust the A/F to a hopefully safe level and take into account all the mods on the truck like pulley size, type of gas used, octane, driving habbits, etc... Are we making it slower by making it richer, OF COURSE NOT. What we are doing is cardinal rule number one. THE MORE AIR, THE MORE GAS. THE MORE GAS, THE FASTER YOU GO. When you add pulley, you are taken in more air, and then need more gas, hence the extra HP. A Chip will also address the timing of course, once again it becomes cardinal rule, the more timing without Detonation, the faster it is. This is where "it can" gets dangerous. If you overtune for high high octane and then end up with crap gas or the wrong conditions, detonation or a thrown rod may be the results because of a rich tune.

But the bottom line is, it's the best most HP mod available to us, and probably the cheapest at a few hundred dollars for 30-50 HP and Torque

Old 01-21-2003 | 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
But the bottom line is, it's the best most HP mod available to us, and probably the cheapest at a few hundred dollars for 30-50 HP and Torque
Not probably, how about.....without a doubt

Quick Reply: Question on running pulley without chip