Lightning

What are yall guys honest opinons about the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003 | 09:28 AM
Originally posted by cyntaxx
The only SS i want is the 94-96 Impala SS.
Had one of those too. '96 BBB. 14.8 @ 93 bone stock @ 45,000 miles

Old 01-23-2003 | 10:29 PM
I would be the owner of the black ws6, the black z28 and now the 02 L. The 94 Z was my first toy and true love lol, heads/cam,at one time a 150 shot, one time blown, 355 yada yada,totally done up, very quick car when it would hook. Sold to get that black 01 ws6 ta in the pic behind YZF's silver ss. Cammed,headers all boltons, very quick also, hell it went 12.90@111 with just borla catback and a lid. Sold to get the L. L has 6lb lower chip and all the boltons. Havent been happy since. Id love to sell the L for anothet f body, but ill have to wait till im not so upside down =( just dont like it, my speed fix for now is my 99 yzf r6. =) nothing like crotch rockets...

Old 01-23-2003 | 10:35 PM
Re: I think

Damn it Ya the LS1 will pull and LT1 pretty good up top. The LS1 is honestly a very very nice motor!

I like LT1's better though

Originally posted by sonichog
It is one very, very well thought out, engineered piece and it can really smoke especially after being tastefully modded...

I had an LT1 and that was just O.K. nothing like the LS1 ...

Old 01-23-2003 | 10:38 PM
I race with an LT1 all the time so I like them. the LS1 is just that much better though. Bone stock motor except minor bolt ons and a 200 shot of juice, and new rear end with a new clutch for the 6 speed. He runs consitant 11.40's with her too!

Old 01-23-2003 | 11:06 PM
Great engines! Old design = cheap parts and durable. Has displacement and the horses, and of late, that wonderful aluminum. Wouldn't you guys like a shiney all aluminum engine under your hoods? I must say I liked the last models styling very much, SS had good elegant looks. Not a perfect interior, but you can't have everything. I am not a fan of the Fords big heavy OHC. I don't event get why the OHC. There's no rpm from 4 out of the 5 modular mills. Yet it is Ford who puts the fastest vehicles through the traps. Yes they're blown, so what! It works and thats why I bought one. Wish they were lighter though.

Last edited by droptail; 01-27-2003 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2003 | 12:05 AM
i just wouldn't be able to stand that damned hump!!!

Old 01-24-2003 | 12:50 AM
they have crappy rearends too though....buddy of mine with a firehawk tore his out with a measly 380rwhp

Old 01-24-2003 | 12:58 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong here but...

OHC is being used more these days because there is less valvetrain alignment issues and less valvtrain weight/mass (no pushrods and typically no rocker arms unless its a 4V SOHC [rare]). There are no push rods to bend or flex, its just a solid cam lobe pressing the solid cam lifter, pushing the valve, which allows for much "tighter" (stronger valve springs, bigger cams, etc..) configurations that would be harder on the valvetrain of a OHV (pushrod) engine.

OHC really shines best at higher RPM's, where things stay more in spec then a pushrod engine. Keep in mind that even at only 3000RPM the valve is opening and closing 1500 times a minute (25 times a second). You can see how a engine even at only 6000 RPM could really push the valvetrain components.

OHC in the past has been more expensive to design and produce, and that is why it has been more rare on engines. But I think its getting cheaper now, especially for Ford since almost every engine Ford uses is OHC now.

Why is SOHC used in many of Ford's lower RPM oriented engines? Since the valvetrain is more likely to be "tighter" it is also most likely to be a smoother and better running engine. Also overall dependability should be much higher on OHC engines.

Now the REALLY cool idea that has been offered up as a future type of of valvetrain....is electronically actuated valves. Imagine being able to tune your camshaft lift/duration for every single situation an engine might face. From idle to redline you could theoretically have the best camshaft at all RPM's and all conditions (loaded down, up a hill, cold weather, hot weather, nitrous assisted, you name it). No need to ever buy or decide what cam you need, you could just "chip" your cam settings. That will be the day

Old 01-24-2003 | 01:38 AM
electric valves...

I was pretty sure that F1 has used/banned them. It's just a matter of it getting cheap enough (much like the magnetic shocks).

Happy happy joy joy. Perfect combustion always...

Coldie

Old 01-27-2003 | 06:15 AM
Originally posted by cpeapea
they have crappy rearends too though....buddy of mine with a firehawk tore his out with a measly 380rwhp
Yep, the rearends are crap in f-bodys. I know first hand, ripped mine out with 353 rwhp on Nitto drag radials, automatic f-bodys can keep theirs together longer but us 6 speed guys are screwed.

Quick Reply: What are yall guys honest opinons about the LS1