Lightning

What are yall guys honest opinons about the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003 | 09:44 PM
|
What are yall guys honest opinons about the LS1

I just want to know what you guys think about the LS1 powerplant in your own opinon.........just wanna know what Ford guys think about it. Im not one of those people who only likes my "chevy" and all that bs, i like many performance cars and trucks, just wanna know what yall think about the other end of the spectrum.....dont be too harsh

Old 01-21-2003 | 09:50 PM
Banned
Before i built my Cobra up, i got plenty of *** spankings by LS1's. Those motors are VERY strong, respond well to mods and have that " magic " 3rd gear pull.

However, the car itself i dont care much for.. The looks and some of the design flaws i could do without. I highly respect them though and feel is one of GM's best pushrod motors to date.

Old 01-21-2003 | 09:51 PM
There's a firehawk that regularly rips up all comers
at the local dragstrip ... Stock I think ... Into the 11's?
Not bad at all ...

Old 01-21-2003 | 09:52 PM
I love the LS1, its a great motor, I had a few LT1's and they were ok to.

I like the Camaro Body but the Trans AM interior. I hate pop up lights....

I almost bought a 2002 Sunset Orange SS before the L and I had a 2001 Z06 for a weekend. Both great cars....

Old 01-21-2003 | 09:54 PM
Stock firehawk running 11's? Wow.

-Mike

Old 01-21-2003 | 09:58 PM
|
exactly, i love the motor, and the cars looks, but the build quality....."fit and finish" needs some help.

Old 01-21-2003 | 10:06 PM
loved mine, took it to extremes. Personally i had alot fo problems though, the LS1 doesn't seem to be that durable with miles or internal modifications. As i put miles on my SS things that performed great (clutches, rotors, synchros, etc.) fell apart. The motor was very strong and one of the BEST stock motors or bolt on motors probably ever made. But unlike alot fo LT1s i saw, i've seen a good number of problems with the motor and lots of miles, i wouldn't buy a high miledge LS1 at all (Lightnings are blown, so i would say the same but the LS1 is N/A) And last once you really start to tear into the LS1 with heads and cams, the oiling problem can be a night mare, along with head gasket problems(once the heads have been removed) I've seen many installers doing these quick cam changes, gouging out the cam bearings, and lots of people doing strokers after the 50k mile mark because of other problems. Again i loved my LS1, GTP heads, cam motion cam, TH350, and a direct port is a blast
too bad mine never really held togather after the first rebuild. (Alot of engine builders don't seem to know the LS1 is different that a LT1 or SBC and requires some knowledge about the motor)

Im too poor to build another car till im out of college but my L with a 100k warrenty should get me through.

If i had to do it again i would have to have a Heads/Cam/ Forced Induction or Nirtous T56 L T WON!!! i loved my friends black 94 Z hardtop, i still miss it more than him.

Old 01-21-2003 | 10:08 PM
I really like playing with LS1's before I bought my Lightning I had a 1999 new body style Silverado with a heavily modified LS1 with a whipple and of course N20 just in case. But I spent less money (way less) on my lightning and went just as fast. Plus the transmission last more than two passes, that really got old. Just think about it, there are plenty of Lightning's running low 12's and even 11's after a few $$$$ in mods, And the best part is
IT'S UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2003 | 10:09 PM
I love those motors, they sound great and make big power. no replacement for displacement

Old 01-21-2003 | 10:10 PM
chevy's are great!

I think everybody should "OWN" one every now and then.

later,
chris

Old 01-21-2003 | 10:11 PM
|
You had an LS1 in a silverado?

Old 01-21-2003 | 10:35 PM
Who can argue with the 405 hp the pushrod Z06 makes?! Unfortunately, I couldn't afford a Z06 when I bought my L. The insurance alone would have killed me. I was all set to buy a 2001 SS but after test driving both a 6 speed and an auto, it felt like the whole car was falling apart under me. It's no mystery that the rear ends are garbage in the F cars and the clutch was slipping in the 6 speed I drove. I think the LS1 motor by itself kicks a$$. It's just too bad Chevy/GM didn't put a better car around the LS1. I just couldn't pay $30k-ish for a new F car. After a test drive in the L, I never looked back. The new GTO should be interesting though. the LS1

Old 01-21-2003 | 10:38 PM
The Silverado has the smaller 327 CI "LS1" and can even use the LS1 edit computer program. A good buddy that runs a local exhaust shop got his to 13.2's with a Vortech supercharger and other mods in an extended cab. It is in for new pistons now (10+ PSI is hard on an engine without forged pistons!)

These are great motors but I hasten to say that the only way a "stock" LS1 in a "stock" full weight late model f-body will hit 11's is with agressive N2O assistance. The strong ones I have seen with a good driver and decent tires and no bottle are 12.7ish which I think is damn impressive.

Old 01-21-2003 | 10:45 PM
|
yea, i have never heard of anything lower than high 12's stock

Old 01-21-2003 | 11:09 PM
i just made a post about this earlier...when they say magic 3rd gear pull they MEAN it, i hung till my friends lightly modded ws6 hit 3rd, he was gone... but till then i hung exactly equal. i think its a great motor, and great car. i dont know why everyone is switching to overhead cams, because with the power these motors still pull. i wonder if 2 cams is really better than one especially when you only have 2 valve heads? i mean wouldnt 2 cams take more power to turn than one? im really a chevy guy at heart but i love my fords as well. i think i read in a book once that smokey unick built a 12k rpm chevy big block, crazy...

Quick Reply: What are yall guys honest opinons about the LS1