Lightning

Intake Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003 | 03:58 PM
|
Question Intake Spacer

hey guys who made intake spacers for between the blower and upper plenum, i was just wondering how'd that turn out? did you ever get dyno results or see any sig. E/T reduction? just wanted to know if it was worth spending the time on. thanks

Old 01-25-2003 | 05:04 PM
I don't think anyone makes those and I doubt they would give anything anyway for that application.

Old 01-25-2003 | 05:17 PM
Banned
Are you talking about a phenolic spacer? Never worked on N/A applications and dont see it working for us either. All hype.

Old 01-25-2003 | 05:19 PM
ithink someone said that youd probably have to modify the egr tube as well, so thats probably why not that many people are running them

Old 01-25-2003 | 08:03 PM
|
it wasn't a phenolic spacer, well i guess it could double as one if made from the right material. it was actually a 1/2 or so spacer used to straighten out the 90 degree bend going into the blower. i'm pretty sure a bunch of guys had some made. i think i remember someone posting a pickup of 40cfm from just the spacer. i just wanted to see if anyone else had made one for themselves or dyno'd one or anything, cheap mod just wondering if its worth the time

Old 01-26-2003 | 11:59 AM
I made a 1/2" spacer out of aluminum. Still haven't put it on yet so I don't know if it made any difference or if the how to correct the EGR. Hopefully it will get done this winter.

Old 01-26-2003 | 12:25 PM
phenolic is better than aluminum

Old 01-26-2003 | 01:30 PM
every thing I have read says its a waste of time and effort on a blown motor. A N/A motor is where it shines

Old 01-26-2003 | 07:35 PM
Originally posted by LatemodelRacer2
phenolic is better than aluminum
In this application, I doubt anyone would notice any differenceb/n the 2 different types.

every thing I have read says its a waste of time and effort on a blown motor.
Bad as L reported that that spacer was 30 cfm more on the stock blower. I haven't put mine on yet, but IMO if you are going to go through the trouble to port the blower and try to get the air around that bend, port match, etc., then the spacer is just a piece in the puzzle. If you are going to slap it on a stock blower, why bother.

Old 01-26-2003 | 08:33 PM
Stay with the aluminum.....in my opinion this is a bad place to have a failure. The thing only has 2 bolts on each side and a long span in between. There is a lot of vacuum in that area when the throttle is snapped shut.

When I flowed this thing it was with a stock supercharger case with the rotor pack removed and the end of the case capped shut.
We tried several different combinations of spacers and upper manifolds. The 1/2" spacer was worth 30 cfm everytime no matter what the other pieces were. And this was at only 15" H20.
If you were to test at the common 28" H2O then it would show even more flow.

The hand ported upper manifold only showed something like 15cfm increase @ 15" H2O. Someguys are claiming alot more flow than that from the extrude honed pieces. Soooo I bought an extrude honed upper and I will find out what the story is with that.
The spacer works its not hockus pockus and no I dont make or sell them. Dale

Old 01-27-2003 | 01:30 PM
I made a phenolic spacer 1.25" tall (I have the Harwood hood, so no clearance problems) with a 4 degree taper so that the TB is at about the same elevation as stock. No, dyno results, but I imagine it is worth a few HP, cant prove it though. It seems to help straighten the airflow around the 90 degree turn which seems like a good logical thing to do. Also it was a nearly free mod, the phenolic piece cost a couple of dollars, and all the labor of cutting and shaping done by me.

One minor side benefit I can see is that it will take a whole lot less time to ice down the intake since it won't adsorb as much heat since it is further away from the blower. I can even fit one of those blue ice packs between the intake and the blower while in the pits.

Old 01-27-2003 | 01:35 PM
|
where did you get the material to make the spacer?

Old 01-27-2003 | 03:04 PM
wkuper11 - if you want an aluminum spacer and have the tools to work with aluminum, let me know, I have enough material to make 2 more spacers, and can sell you a slab to work with cheap.

Old 01-27-2003 | 04:00 PM
Hmm, how is phenolic better than aluminum? I know a big problem with phenolic is that exhaust gases would cause it to burn out, burning a hole through to the chambers, whereas aluminum doesn't have this problem.

Intake spacers work, mostly on N/A engines. There are too many dyno comparisons from the '60s that show 1" carb spacers that pick up 10HP to say it won't. Now, on an FI engine, there's probably less improvements to be made. The air is already entering at such a high pressure and velocity that additional runner lengths aren't really necessary.

Old 01-27-2003 | 04:25 PM
I agree with Fastgator. It will not net the results you are looking for. Your blower is pushing hot compressed air into your intercooler that in turn brings the temps down some 185+ degrees . Think about it. It really won't be worth anything sigificant imho.

Quick Reply: Intake Spacer