Lightning

Tuning software ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003 | 09:05 PM
|
Tuning software ???

Me and my friend were talking the other day, and we were thinking that tuning software would be an interesting thing if it were made.

Since Diablo has the new hand held programmer coming out soon, it only seems that companies will/may start releasing this stuff. Anyone hear any rumours about this idea???

Imagine beeing able to program a chip or reflash the computer from a laptop or home PC. There would be a lot of blown engines, but I'd definately be on the list to get it

Old 01-26-2003 | 10:36 PM
IT'S IN THERE, just like the sauce

Predator Features

Satisfaction Guaranteed!**
Lifetime Warranty!
Screen Size is 300% larger than the competition
Custom Files can be downloaded from internet which allows for future updates
and customized programming (competition does not offer) (optional feature still in development)
Quicker programming than the competition (takes approx. 2 min.)
OBD-II diagnostic software (includes live data monitoring of MPH, RPM, IAT, ECT, LTFT, STFT, O2 Voltage, Timing, KR detection, as well as many other sensors; for a complete listing please see the FAQ) (competition does not offer)
Revised Torque Management Settings for optimum performance (competition does not offer)
Eliminates CAGS (Skip Shifting) on the 6-speed manual transmissions
User adjustability. the user can set their own parameters. Choose from DiabloSport's performance program, have a custom performance program made for you by a Diablo Tuner, or create your own:

a. Richen or lean fuel mixture (competition does not offer) ***
b. Advance or retard ignition timing (competition does not offer) ***
c. Raise and lower shift points in 10 rpm increments ***
d. Increase or decrease shift firmness (+/- 25% and anywhere in between) ***
e. Reduce shift duration (time delay during gear change) (competition does not offer) (+/- 25% and anywhere in between) ***
f. Raise and lower rev limiter in 10 rpm increments ***
g. Correct speedometer for gear changes and/or tire sizes (will support ALL gear changes, and ALL tire/rim combinations)
h. Turn on cooling fans at lower temps in incremental steps of 1 degrees (for vehicles w/ factory equipped electric fans)
i. Adjust top-speed limiters (eliminates on the Y and F-bodies)

And, of course, many more...

Old 01-26-2003 | 11:09 PM
i gotta have one of those

Old 01-26-2003 | 11:43 PM
Also look at the upcoming twEECer for Gen2's from performance specialties.

Daniel

Old 01-27-2003 | 12:12 PM
Banned
Tweecer is already out and you best have a mobile wide band if you plan to tune with it.

Old 01-27-2003 | 02:44 PM
What does this technology cost? What kind of hardware is needed to use it?

Old 01-27-2003 | 03:02 PM
|
Dan and Flying **** - I didn't even know Tweecer was doing stuff with newer Fords, for some reason I though they only dealt with early to mid 90's stangs Oh well. Anyway, I checked out the site last night and they stated that they have software for the 99'-00' Lightnings, but not 01'+ yet.

I'll most likely just be waiting for the Diablo version.

Here's the site for those interested:
www.tweecer.com

Old 01-27-2003 | 11:11 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a version of the Diablo Predator for our L's? (and when?) I checked out Socaldiablo.com and did not find any info about possible support for our L's. Any one (Rob?) have some insight on this?

Thanks,
MSM

Old 01-27-2003 | 11:16 PM
I can see it now , "MY TUNER BLEW UP MY TRUCK" ,,,"Wait ,, MY BAD"

Old 01-27-2003 | 11:21 PM
|
Originally posted by VINNIE
I can see it now , "MY TUNER BLEW UP MY TRUCK" ,,,"Wait ,, MY BAD"
Yeah, I don't know if I'd trust that guy at "captainoblivious tuning", but I really would like to run a "Gator chip"

Old 01-27-2003 | 11:28 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
but I really would like to run a "Gator chip"

I could see the Chip programs now.

'The Jegermeister' , 'The Bud', 'The Hangover', etc...

Old 01-27-2003 | 11:40 PM
That's the problem with these type of programable systems, you really need to have the hardware to measure A/F ratio correctly. They are a excellent tool though when coupled to a dyno with a good A/F measurement system.

I messed with a speed brain (5.0L Mustang computer replacement, laptop programable) on my 90 Mustang, it has a lot of power to adjust fuel, timing, rev-limit, gave sensor readings, and so forth but you have to be careful or you might go too far with it. This was a long time ago before I knew much about things, but I had tweaked and tuned it to what seemed to be the best tune (speed brain had a hp estimator built in, based on fuel used and MAF readings), only to find out a week later I had destroyed my spark plugs (but not the engine thank goodness) because it was running WAY too lean. I was trying to use the 02 sensor measurements to keep A/F in check, but 02 sensors are not something you can use to tune with (there is not much difference in a pig rich reading and a extreme lean reading). It's a good thing my car was NA, otherwise I am sure I would have killed the engine.

Anyway my point is, this sounds like an excellent tool to work with, just don't expect to be able to tune without some sort of good A/F monitoring (especially on supercharged, turbo, or nitrous'd engines). Keep in mind that even though it's still going to be best to go to a dyno shop and do the tuning, the good thing is you can re-tune right then rather then send your chip back in. Another cool thing is (not sure about the predator), most systems like this you can save a lot of different tuning files for different situations. Even going as far as having your "its 100 degrees outside tune" and your "its 40 degrees outside tune" and everything in between.

Old 01-28-2003 | 12:08 AM
Some of us would be willing to spring for a wideband O2.

Old 01-28-2003 | 12:17 AM
I could see the Chip programs now.

Whats this, the comedy hour?

Last edited by Fast Gator; 01-28-2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2003 | 02:04 PM
|
Yea, I heard the only downside to the Gator Chips is that you have to run alcohol

Quick Reply: Tuning software ???