Lightning

Transmission fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003 | 11:47 PM
|
Question Transmission fluid change?

Hey guys I am thinking about changing my transmission fluid (on a 2000 L 39,000 mi.). First of all should it really be needed right now? Second if it is, is there a better brand of fluid than what comes in it? And third is there any problems in changing it that I might need to know before I go at it?

Old 01-29-2003 | 01:05 AM
There is alot of opinions right now on what type is the best. Having said that, I changed mine out at 5000 miles to Amsoil sythentic ATF. I don't plan on changing till 100K

I think at 39K miles it would be a good idea even if you put the factory spec back in. Kinda like cheap insurance.

The bad news is that its a messy job. There is no drain plug on the factory tranny pan. You can buy the Ford 4 X 4 tranny pan which comes with a drain plug. I think the pan and filter was around $60. But it makes the next trans fluid change very easy.
Here's a pic of the pan so you get an idea

Old 01-29-2003 | 01:48 AM
i have about 5k on the new tranny. maybe i should switch to synthetic fluid. should be easy since my pan has a drain plug. you say Amsoil sythentic ATF is the stuff to use??

Old 01-29-2003 | 02:03 AM
have 26K on my 02. When would be a good time to change? should I do it now and switch to synthetic? Will B&M trick shift work in our trannies?

Old 01-29-2003 | 03:42 AM
J15,

Do not put Amsoil in a Monster Box.

Use either Motorcraft Mercon/Dextron III or Mobil 1 Synthetic. For where you live I'd go with the Mobil 1.
ANd you shouldn't need to change yours yet anyway, the spec is to change it every 30K miles, and change the external filter I sent you when you do it.

G

Old 01-29-2003 | 06:12 AM
I have Ft valvebody its great I, also use Mobil 1 syn trans. Have the the valvebody in for over 25,000 mi. and all is just like it was done yesterday!! Artie

Old 01-29-2003 | 08:39 AM
I had a local quik-lube shop pump in Redline's D4 synthetic 23,000 miles ago. My L has been 1/4 miled, driven daily, and dynoed several times since then. It's expensive($140/fluid+$40 labor) but my trans seem's to love it.

Dan

Old 01-29-2003 | 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Factory_Tech
J15,

Use either Motorcraft Mercon/Dextron III or Mobil 1 Synthetic.

G
Gregg

Would you care to please explain to me, what you know about Amsoil. If you don't care to explain here, please send an e-mail. Thanks.....Tpapipe123@aol.com

btw...I run your valve body that I purchased thru PSP

Last edited by Fast Gator; 01-29-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2003 | 12:18 PM
J15,

Use either Motorcraft Mercon/Dextron III or Mobil 1 Synthetic. For where you live I'd go with the Mobil 1.
ANd you shouldn't need to change yours yet anyway, the spec is to change it every 30K miles, and change the external filter I sent you when you do it.

G
i would like an explination also, i run amsoil and it is basically the exact same as mobil 1 but $3 more a quart, i run it, and i think it's good stuff, but now that i've run it, i dont like that i payed so much more then mobil 1, when mobil is just as good.

i would change it now, and if you go synthetic then you wont have to worry about it for awhile, only have to change it when you want to......

Old 01-29-2003 | 07:25 PM
Hoping Gregg will reply here

sooooooo

TTT

Old 01-30-2003 | 03:42 AM
Every time I say what I think about Amsoil I get lawyers sicced on me. I personnally put it in the catagory of Wal Mart Brand in an expensive bottle. I think they use some kind of "amway" distributer group thing or something and I jsut don't think of it as very good stuff. I'm also vry leery of anything that claims to be both MERCON and MERCON V rated, the fluids aren't compatible, and I've yet to have anyone explain to me how one is both. I'm not a chemist, so maybe I'm wrong. I have been told pretty much the same thing by people who do know about those things. As far as I'm concerned, Motorcraft MERCON/Dextron III is all you need, but Mobil 1 is better, especially if you live where it's hot.

That said, I have been told by the supplier of the clutch plates in a Monster Box not to use Amsoil specifically for the plates I use in the intermediate, direct and forward clutches. If you have stock geartrain, it does say it's MERCON compliant on the bottle, I guess.

G

Last edited by Factory_Tech; 01-30-2003 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2003 | 08:57 AM
I just had

the line valve mod done.. had the fluid changed to Mobil 1 and the F250 tranny pan with drain and that extra measure of fluid installed.. should be good to go for miles and miles of trouble free driving... (at least I hope so).. love the mod, and am a huge Mobil 1 fan and believer.. been using it for about 15 yrs.. and every vehicle I have used it on has never had an engine related problem..
Dana

Old 01-30-2003 | 10:19 AM
Every time I say what I think about Amsoil I get lawyers sicced on me. I personnally put it in the catagory of Wal Mart Brand in an expensive bottle. I think they use some kind of "amway" distributer group thing or something and I jsut don't think of it as very good stuff. I'm also vry leery of anything that claims to be both MERCON and MERCON V rated, the fluids aren't compatible, and I've yet to have anyone explain to me how one is both. I'm not a chemist, so maybe I'm wrong. I have been told pretty much the same thing by people who do know about those things. As far as I'm concerned, Motorcraft MERCON/Dextron III is all you need, but Mobil 1 is better, especially if you live where it's hot.

That said, I have been told by the supplier of the clutch plates in a Monster Box not to use Amsoil specifically for the plates I use in the intermediate, direct and forward clutches. If you have stock geartrain, it does say it's MERCON compliant on the bottle, I guess.

G
Thanks for your reply Gregg
I can understand your concerns on the compatibility issues. Iam not a chemist myself, but why would they say it can be used in both? Seems to me they are opening themselves up to a large lawsuit.
As for their marketing, yeah I know......you should see the info packet they sent me

Old 01-30-2003 | 12:44 PM
Banned
I know Amsoil's ATF is real slick stuff. I had used it once in a T45 transmission. 18,000 miles into the fluid i developed a nasty grinding noise on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Luckily i had purchased a T56 when the problems arised.

After swapping trannies, i came across someone who worked for Ford that is very familar with the T-5 and T-45 trannies. He tore the tranny down and noticed the synchros were eaten away. He states its very common with high end synthetics such as Redline and Amsoil which are multi-compatible ( Merc & Merc V mixture ). They are much more caustic and because of their chemistry, are very click and promote synchro wear.

I wondering if this may hold true on the 4R100.

Best stuff i ever used in my T56 is the GM Synchromesh. A lot of people have put it in their T-45 with positive results which increased performance and shifting.

I use Valvoline ATF in the truck. Its inexpensive compared to Mobil 1 and i dont have to worry about that $150 to fill it up.

Old 01-30-2003 | 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Flying ****
I know Amsoil's ATF is real slick stuff. I had used it once in a T45 transmission. 18,000 miles into the fluid i developed a nasty grinding noise on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Luckily i had purchased a T56 when the problems arised.

After swapping trannies, i came across someone who worked for Ford that is very familar with the T-5 and T-45 trannies. He tore the tranny down and noticed the synchros were eaten away. He states its very common with high end synthetics such as Redline and Amsoil which are multi-compatible ( Merc & Merc V mixture ). They are much more caustic and because of their chemistry, are very click and promote synchro wear.

I wondering if this may hold true on the 4R100.

Best stuff i ever used in my T56 is the GM Synchromesh. A lot of people have put it in their T-45 with positive results which increased performance and shifting.

I use Valvoline ATF in the truck. Its inexpensive compared to Mobil 1 and i dont have to worry about that $150 to fill it up.
yeah, but thats for manuals, i wonder about auto. the reason why your valvoline is much cheaper is because the brand you have is probably not full synthetic, isn't it called durablend?? alot of people are making the mistake of buying it thinking it's a full synthetic, but its a blend like half/half. and yes that GM stuff is great.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change?