Lightning

wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003 | 10:54 PM
|
wheel cleaning

I bought a 03 about 2 weeks ago and went to clean the rims,what I notcied,if you just wash the outside it looks like sh*t,to get them really clean you have to have small hands(which I don't)or take the wheels of the truck then you can get them all the way clean,has anyone have any suggestions on how to get them all the way clean?

Old 02-02-2003 | 11:18 PM
I use that sponge with the handle that holds soap that your wife probably has on the kitchen sink

Old 02-02-2003 | 11:53 PM
You mean you don't remove the rim's each time you wash the truck to clean em up? Heheh. I just use a thing but big sponge, and I push it through the rim. Seems to get all the dust/dirt outa there.

-Mike

Old 02-02-2003 | 11:56 PM
I was wondering about this, myself. Is there someway to get a protective coat on that area? Like the 3M stuff you use to avoid chips in the front fascia. You'd just need to clean it the area really well and get a long rectangular piece of the stuff, right?

I'm kind curious how the stuff would stand up to brake dust, etc. It may make cleaning that area of the wheel easier.

Old 02-03-2003 | 12:13 AM
I use the meguires wheel cleaner. Wire wheel cleaner works real good too. just spray it on and let it set for about 30 sec and spray it off. i use it everytime i wash my L and spray it on the insides of the rim to get all the dust off.26K miles on the truck and have never had to srub the wheels by hand once.

Old 02-03-2003 | 12:17 AM
Originally posted by SVT Glancy
I use the meguires wheel cleaner. Wire wheel cleaner works real good too. just spray it on and let it set for about 30 sec and spray it off. i use it everytime i wash my L and spray it on the insides of the rim to get all the dust off.26K miles on the truck and have never had to srub the wheels by hand once.
Is that the stuff that comes in a green bottle? If so, I tried that crap and it didn't work for anything!

-Mike

Old 02-03-2003 | 12:40 AM
I've been using Klasse All-In-One, acrylic sealer on my stock '01 rims for some time now. They always look great and the brake dust seems to come off MUCH easier now. IMHO the best wheel cleaner is from Coatsproducts.com. It is called All Wheel Cleaner, it makes the brake dust literally dissolve. Good Luck. Todd

Old 02-03-2003 | 04:30 AM
Trans-mate makes an industrial product that has to be mixed (3:1), but it's so good, you can have black wheels from brake dust and it'll require no scrubbing. Best stuff, and the only stuff I've ever used that doesn't require scrubbing...

http://www.trans-mate.com/

Old 02-03-2003 | 07:54 AM
Re: wheel cleaning

Originally posted by 2000sprdty
I bought a 03 about 2 weeks ago and went to clean the rims,what I notcied,if you just wash the outside it looks like sh*t,to get them really clean you have to have small hands(which I don't)or take the wheels of the truck then you can get them all the way clean,has anyone have any suggestions on how to get them all the way clean?

I had the same problem with my 01.

Solution - I went and bought 20s. Now my big hand fits through just fine.

Old 02-03-2003 | 08:35 AM
Re: Re: wheel cleaning

Originally posted by VINNIE
I had the same problem with my 01.

Solution - I went and bought 20s. Now my big hand fits through just fine.
actually your hands are smaller from having all the cash taken out of them to pay for the new wheels and tires... j/k...

Old 02-03-2003 | 11:12 AM
I have tried several brands of wheel cleaner on mine..nothing seems to work "perfect." Usually do ok at taking off the dust i guess but after I rinse them they always get a crappy haze over them that has to be wiped off....might as well clean them by hand from the get go

Quick Reply: wheel cleaning