Lightning

Problems with Napa cam bolt kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003 | 06:53 PM
|
Unhappy Problems with Napa cam bolt kit

Hey guys, just dropped the new 03L 3/4 this past weekend. Installed the Napa cam bolt kit that everyone uses. Now my alignment shop can't keep the bolts from turning. Now matter how much you torque them down, you can still put a small ratchet on the head bolt and get it to move. I have them installed with the supplied washers and lock washer. Could it be the frame wax? Did anything change for 03? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-04-2003 | 08:12 PM
I had the NAPA cam bolts installed at the same time as my FRPP lowering kit (October 2001). Now, my memory might be a bit fuzzy, but here's what I remember. The kit came with two washers with each bolt. The alignemnt shop was not able to use both washers, because with the added thickness of the second washer, there were not enough exposed threads to properly tighten down the bolt.

Old 02-04-2003 | 08:12 PM
No replies. I think everyone is puzzled by this one buddy.

Tim

Old 02-04-2003 | 08:14 PM
my cam-bolt is sitting on my desk, so I'd like to hear some replies too

Old 02-04-2003 | 08:17 PM
They did put the cams on first and not the washer rite?I have run into that problem on some of the older stangs.What you can do is just put a spot of weld on the cam to frame and I mean JUST a spot that will keep it from moving.But make sure you disconnect the battery first.OR you can grind some slots into the cam or dimple it so it has some 'bite' to it.Stan

Old 02-04-2003 | 09:12 PM
I just put my Ford camber bolt kit in the other day with no problems.

good luck.

later,
chris

Old 02-04-2003 | 09:31 PM
|
Thanks for the replies everybody. This is so frusterating. Stan, I was hoping you would throw your .02 in. When I originally installed the cam kits this past weekend I put the large cam washers against the control arm mount. Then the small washer, lock washer, then the nut. Both my alignment guys said that the small washer goes against the control arm mount with the big cam washer on the outside. That's why they thought it wasn't tightening. I reinstalled it last night the way they said to. Today they called back and said it still wouldn't tighten. Another question. Do you re-use the small rectangular plate with the tab? I didn't use it these last two times and I'm wondering if that's the problem.

Chris, do you have any pictures of your cam kit install? Did you use the Napa ones? Big cam washers on the inside or outside? Any help would be appreciated. I'm going crazy here.
Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-04-2003 | 09:39 PM
I don't understand exactly what you mean in your post above, but I'll try to explain what I know.

I used the Ford kit. shouldn't make any difference though.

there are no BIG or LITTLE cam washers, they should be identical size.

it consists of BOLTS that have round offset cams permanently attached to the shank near the head of the bolt. then you have a twin offset cam washer that goes on the other side. the bolt has one flat side on the threads, and the washer will only fit on there one way. both cams (the one attached to the bolt, and the free one) are the exact same size, if they weren't the kit wouldn't work. the bolts go in from the "inside" of the frame mounts. meaning that the threads face towards the front of the truck on the front bolt and the rear of the truck on the rear bolt. or you could say that the two bolt heads should be facing each other.

you reuse the nuts from the factory bolts.

you do NOT reuse the rectangular shaped plates, they are factory plates and are not adjustable, they are a set or specific degree.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask if you have more questions or don't understand something.

later,
chris

Old 02-04-2003 | 09:41 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Originally posted by Fast Gator
That's WAY TOO much information Gator.

7000 posts and you don't have cam bolts... BAHAHAHAHAHA, or something.

superfords,

Good explaination!

Bob

Old 02-04-2003 | 10:00 PM
Kingpin Super is rite don't use the square washers with the tabs throw them away far away!As for using the original nuts use the supplied ones in the kit.the cam or escentric goes on first then the washer then the nut do NOT use the washer on the bolt head side just the cam also if you look at the cam you will see one side that is rounded from being 'punched' thru the die that face AWAY from the frame mount.that way you have the sharper side biting into the frame to help hold it.To get mine tight and hold the position I use an impact then I go back with a 2 foot rachet and tightn them more some where near 150 ft #.Stan
If you do that you shuld not have any trouble.

Old 02-04-2003 | 10:04 PM
Here is a pic of the cam-bolt kit from Napa

Old 02-04-2003 | 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
I got to do mine ASAP too.. you know anyone, and wanna go one day bang 'em both out?

Old 02-04-2003 | 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Ruslow
As for using the original nuts use the supplied ones in the kit.
that's absolutely right on your napa kit.

again, I used Ford camber adjuster bolts, they look very similar, but you reuse the factory nuts, and the ford kit doesnt use all of those washers and lock washers.

later,
chris

Old 02-04-2003 | 11:53 PM
|
Still can't get them tightened down enough. I tried with washers, without washers. Used the two foot breaker bar to get them what feels like super tight. I can still move the bolt back and forth with some effort using socket wrench. I don't know what else to do. I tried using the stock nuts like Chris said. Stripped one of the nuts out and one of the new cam bolts. I guess I'll see what my dealer will charge to do it with the Ford kit, install and alignment. Sure takes the fun out of owning this truck.
Jeff

Old 02-04-2003 | 11:57 PM
Originally posted by KINGPIN
I tried using the stock nuts like Chris said. Stripped one of the nuts out and one of the new cam bolts.
man, I hope I didn't screw you up on that one. again, I was saying I used the stock nuts because I used the FORD kit, it is designed to work with the stock nuts, the bolts and threads are the same as the stock stuff. the threads and sizes on your NAPA kit may be different.

sorry if I messed you up, that was not my intention.

later,
chris

Quick Reply: Problems with Napa cam bolt kit